IGNORED

1200XL obtained... BUT...

Shift838

I was able to secure a 1200xl that looked to be in good shape, however upon trying to boot I get the black screen when powered on.  I know the cable is good, i know the voltage regulators within the 1200xl are outputting 5v.

I have reseated all the chips as they are all socketed.  Still no go..

Tested all the DRAM chips with a DRAM tester and they all passed.

I have left the unit powered up to see if any of the RAM chips are getting hot and they are not, but i did find the DMPAL16L8 is getting quite a bit hotter than any other chip.  Could this be the culprit?

If so, where can I get one of these (I don't even know what this PAL is doing since i am pretty new to the ATARI).

If it can be replaced, can it be replaced with a GAL and if so which one and where do I get the file to program it?

Edited by Shift838

9 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

is that part of the rf modulator?  if so, i'm not using it.  I have a composite monitor cable and svideo monitor cable.

And you are sure the cable is wired properly for Atari's 5 pin?  Do you get any sound when you turn the unit on?

26 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

transistor can behind rf modulator on pcb riser looks corroded

clean flux off PCB so we can  see if they are bridged etc.

might be conductive residue in there.

make sure VIA s are filled in...

i'll be working on the rest of this list later this evening.

4 hours ago, kheller2 said:

That is the correct MMU for the 1200XL

this MMU seems to get pretty hot, much hotter than any other IC on the board, so I am wondering if it is bad.  Is the 1200XL MMU code available to be programmed to a GAL somewhere?  I have some GAL IC's that I can use.

I know many people have ripped the 1200 MMU/OS out and gone back to the 800XL for the best compatibility but before I decided to do that, i want to at least see it boot..

Edited by Shift838

The first thing that happens on any Atari is RESET. If you aren't getting flashes and clicks when you power on, you may have a stuck RESET line. Can you measure RESET after you power on? It should be >>4v on pin 40 of the CPU. U16 drives RESET. Unplug the keyboard.

The MMU runs hotter than the other chips. xxx609 is 1200XL  xxx618 is 800XL.

Bob

So i found the issue.  It's a dead PIA C014795-12.  I swapped it out with a good one out of my 800XL since it uses the same IC and bam.  

So does anyone have a spare PIA C014795-12 they are willing to part with?  PM me..

• Like 2