IGNORED

"New" 7800 owner

vrocko

Well I went and did it, bought myself an Atari 7800 Pro-system. Had one a few years ago but sold it because I needed the cash at the time. Wish I'd never done that but that's the past and now I've got another with eleven games so far. Xevious (had to have this one), Mario Bros., Karateka, Choplifter, Centipede, Tower Toppler, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Pole Position II and Hat Trick. I just added Donkey Kong, Jr. to the list. I want to buy some homebrews too like Scramble, Popeye (always liked the Popeye Arcade game and having it for the 7800 would be great), Beef Drop and b*nQ. Any suggestions as to other games to get? Anything I need to know about the 7800 in 2023? Hope to see more homebrews for it in the future. Tried to get it to work on my HD TV but that didn't happen. The Jaguar works on it but the 7800, no luck. I've still got an SD TV I can use but would like to get it to work on the HD and keep the consoles together. Let me know what you all think. 

Edited by vrocko
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, vrocko said:

Well I went and did it, bought myself an Atari 7800 Pro-system. Had one a few years ago but sold it because I needed the cash at the time. Wish I'd never done that but that's the past and now I've got another with eleven games so far. Xevious (had to have this one), Mario Bros., Karateka, Choplifter, Centipede, Tower Toppler, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Pole Position II and Hat Trick. I just added Donkey Kong, Jr. to the list. I want to buy some homebrews too like Scramble, Popeye (always liked the Popeye Arcade game and having it for the 7800 would be great), Beef Drop and b*nQ. Any suggestions as to other games to get? Anything I need to know about the 7800 in 2023? Hope to see more homebrews for it in the future. Tried to get it to work on my HD TV but that didn't happen. The Jaguar works on it but the 7800, no luck. I've still got an SD TV I can use but would like to get it to work on the HD and keep the consoles together. Let me know what you all think. 

Without a doubt Ballblazer. The 7800 has by far the best version if that game, and the on cart Pokey Sound is a brilliant rendition of the title tune. That is the reason I got a 7800 a couple of years ago. I am so glad I did. 2 player Ballblazer has become a staple game in this house.

22 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Congratulations!

You also have the whole Atari 2600 library to play as well and there are plenty of winners there to choose from!!

Oh yeah. Still have a couple 2600's and a load of games. I'd like to try some of the homebrews for 2600 too! Mappy and Star Castle are two my favorites so I'll have to save up for those. 

20 hours ago, edladdin said:

When your hands get tired of sad old CX-24s, our complete lineup of 7800 hardware is available right here in the AtariAge store!  🙂

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=111

Yeah the guy I bought the 7800 off of had four CX-24s, one of the reasons I purchased it well that and he had all the connections. You see a lot of 7800 on eBay with no power cord, TV connection or controllers. Well the 7800 doesn't do you any good without those. I've seen the Edladdin 7800 controllers. NICE! I will definitely consider it. I also saw a 7800 controller on eBay that looks like an old NES controller too. I'd like to get one of those. Anybody have any experience with them? How are they on the 7800? 

On 4/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, vrocko said:

Tried to get it to work on my HD TV but that didn't happen.

Were you trying via the TV's RF or composite inputs?  Reason I ask is that the 7800 doesn't have composite output without modification.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, vrocko said:

The Jaguar works on it but the 7800, no luck.

If you're using the same RF input as the Jag, it's possible that the 7800 is set to the wrong channel.  The channel select switch is next to the connector for the cable to the TV.

That said, if the Jag's using a composite cable, then you'll need to connect to RF and try from there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JagChris said:

Load up Robot Tank for the 2600 on it. I hear if it will run that it is one if the 7800s that will run any 2600 game without any problems.

I got lucky. Mine runs It fine. I am a new new 7800 owner and am very happy.

This can be corrected for in most cases by simply removing one capacitor from the circuit to disable the extra timing circuit largely to blame for this issue with Activision titles. Although I've heard in a few instances from others where it didn't correct for Robot Tank but I've not seen this personally.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Were you trying via the TV's RF or composite inputs?  Reason I ask is that the 7800 doesn't have composite output without modification.

If you're using the same RF input as the Jag, it's possible that the 7800 is set to the wrong channel.  The channel select switch is next to the connector for the cable to the TV.

That said, if the Jag's using a composite cable, then you'll need to connect to RF and try from there.

I'll check the channel switch and see if changing it helps. No mods to this 7800 so I was trying my Jag's RF connector.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:54 PM, ApolloBoy said:

One other thing to note is you can't use automatic switchboxes with the 7800, it's got to be a manual switchbox or one of those RCA to coax adapters.

Hmmm. May have to leave it on the SD TV to use it. I'll see what changing the channel switch does. If that doesn't work I'll leave it on the SD TV. 

20 hours ago, vrocko said:

Hmmm. May have to leave it on the SD TV to use it. I'll see what changing the channel switch does. If that doesn't work I'll leave it on the SD TV. 

If you don't have a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter, grab one here.  Eliminate the switchbox entirely as they have been known to be problematic at times.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...