IGNORED

Cassette games for TI99/4A ?

jetset

So I know there's probably more independent companies who made cassette games/progs for the TI, but I'm wondering if theres a list of cassette games. Just officially released from the actual companies "back in the day" Specifically TI itself. I found lots of game lists but those are all cartridge and or disk based. I searched the forums and of course google, haven't found even a rudimentary listing.

Anyone know of a site with a list?

TIA! 

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

check there? also there's the ti gamebase but not sure if that has a-everything or b-a way to list only cass

Thanks! I've developed a fetish...er, fascination with cassette games. Just a nostalgia thing I suppose.

• Like 1

One thing that makes it difficult to canonically list cassette games is simply that nearly all cassette games were also distributed on disk at some point, and many disk games were also distributed on cassette.  So for example, TI Trek was originally distributed on disk by TI, but almost nobody played the original first-party TI-branded disk version (which is extremely rare).  And nearly everyone played later versions (often distributed on cassette). 

But that having said, one can conclusively identify a category of "cassette-compatible programs", nearly all of which are BASIC programs, and most of which are console BASIC programs (rather than XB).  With these being programs that can unequivocally be run from cassette, but will admittedly and inevitably have also and often been distributed on disk. 

I did a video a while back on the best 1980s era TI BASIC cassette and type-in games.  And an archive of all TI BASIC cassette and type-in games discussed there is linked here (and in the description of the video).

For outside vendors who principally created cassette games, see Not Polyoptics and ASD&D as examples.

See also, as a phenomenal collection of mainly cassette games (nowadays distributed on disk for convenience), the TI BASIC Games listing at TI Game Shelf.

Note that while a cassette game need not be a TI BASIC game, the number of assembly games designed to load from cassette is vanishingly small.  As the population of users who did have the 32K memory upgrade and a Loading solution, but did not have a disk drive was not really a niche which ever existed. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

...Yeah...

Cassettes/

:cool:

Firefly Games.zip

Note that the zipped folder here contains an update to "Dodger" that is in that list of cassettes.

Many of the original games by "firefly" are missing and never show up on ebay, so I recreated them according to descriptions in magazines and memory.  

This folder contains 3 games which are in wav format, hence "cassette".  

Dodger:  Guide the dodger over the road to each of his four homes after a long day. Avoid all moving objects.  Joystick controlled (arrows keys and Q on emulators)

Castle Conquer: You are a magic elf with a mission to rescue the maiden from the castle.  Jump over the ramparts, avoid the arrows and fireballs and pikemen, jump on the flying dinosaur to get over the gap to rescue the maiden, then you have to make your way back!  Joystick controlled

Substrike: Use keys S and D , and I think F to fire missiles at submarines.  A certain number of misses means they will lock onto you and fire back at you.  This one was copied from a listing in Computer & Video Game magazine.  

I would like it if these games could be placed in the WHTEC list for cassette games and the Dodger file there be updated to this one as it's the most accurate rendition of the original to date.

Note: There are also more modern updated versions of two of these games, castle conquer and dodger, that are in compiled XB.  Those are not representative of the original cassette games and should not be confused with these

Note 2 : If ever you are on Ebay and the original Dodger and Castle Conquer games show up on cassette, they're not mine, they're the real originals and should be bought if at all possible and converted to WAV, then we can throw mine away and keep those!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2