IGNORED

Counting the Omer

jrhodes

I have created a program (and some accompanying programs) to assist in counting the Omer (the days leading up to the Jewish holiday of Shavout [Feast of Weeks])

Before developing this, i kept track of the Omer by using a d50 (fifty sided dice), and rotating it to the next higher number each day.

This utilizes the TIPI.CLOCK device (or equivalent clock device, like Classic99's special CLOCK device).

@pixelpedant was a big help, providing me with a custom speech data file, adding the words "today" and "day" (as a single phrase, "today is day", not separate).

The main program, COUNTOMER, is intended to be run once (& only once) daily, every day, for fifty consecutive days.

If you do not remember to run it every day, simply run it again as many times as the number of days you forgot to run it, until the programs output represents the correct day of the counting.

The value of the Omer is stored on disk in the OMER file and is read by COUNTOMER.

The program RESETOMER is used to reset the file OMER to a default value of 1.

The file OMER is also reset to the value 1 after the program is run on the 50th day and its message has been displayed.

The current value in OMER may be viewed by running the VIEWOMER program, which simply displays whatever value is stored in the OMER file.

The file SPEECH contains @pixelpedant's custom speech data.

I did try my hand at making the custom "day" and "today" words myself, but could not quite get the hang of it.

I hope someone finds this useful, please enjoy.

counting the omer.zip

omer d50.jpg

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I and my wife have some friends who are devout in a way we are not, and whom we tend to celebrate a lot of the holidays with (as they see wrangling their lazier friends for such occasions as kind of a mitzvah).  This program will provide a delightful excuse for me to engage in my irritating habit of bringing up all things TI-99 at every opportunity, next time we're over at their place for Shabbat. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1