IGNORED

VIC-20 No Power Issue

Hey Guys,

So I have an early model VIC-20 (PET style keyboard). It currently has no voltage on either power rail. Tested the power supply and its testing at 9.2V AC. Tested the switch for continuity and it is good (0.2 ohms) Also checked the fuse and it is also measuring good (0.2 ohms) Could it be that my bridge rectifier has gone out? And if so, where would I find a replacement for it? Thanks in advance

17 minutes ago, hofster said:

Could definitely be the bridge rectifier but you should be able to confirm that by measuring it's rectified output voltage (DC). If it has AC input but no DC output it's likely bad.

Would you happen to know where I could find a replacement if mine turns out to be bad? I found some online but the specs are insane (15 Amps+) I wouldn’t think it would matter since the computer would only draw as much current as it needs and the new part would be rated for much higher so wouldn’t that just make it last longer? 

Edited by TissueLint

Yes, the replacements available are most likely stronger but that's just makes them less likely to break. They could be larger in size too so the pins might have to be bent a bit to match the PCB footprint.

I don't know where to find the best matching part. I usually buy from Digikey which has a great selection of parts but they don't exactly have a VIC-20 section.

Edited by hofster

8 hours ago, hofster said:

Yes, the replacements available are most likely stronger but that's just makes them less likely to break. They could be larger in size too so the pins might have to be bent a bit to match the PCB footprint.

I don't know where to find the best matching part. I usually buy from Digikey which has a great selection of parts but they don't exactly have a VIC-20 section.

Okay thanks, I checked for voltage and it seems im getting AC in but no DC out, so that may be my problem after all. I’ll order one soon. Thanks for the help!