IGNORED

What have you been up to lately with your NES/Famicom?

Much like with the similar topics I've started on the SNES and Genesis sub-forums, I thought it might be a good idea to start a general discussion topic for random posts that don't really deserve their own dedicated topic.

Feel free to post thoughts on games you've been playing, interesting finds at pawn shops and other stores, or any hardware-related projects you're working on.

---

I took my AV Famicom out of storage with the intention of playing Dragon Quest III, but actually got a bit sidetracked.  First, I must say that the composite video quality of this system is really excellent; very clean and sharp looking.

I have a few wireless controller solutions available to me, so I gave each a try to decide which to use:

• N30 2.4g (8bitdo): This controller has a very strong first impression.  Excellent build quality, and everything feels pretty similar to the classic NES controller.  The dpad is great for platformers, but seriously poor for anything requiring 8-way movement.  I find shooters like Lifeforce to be absolutely unplayable on this controller, because the diagonals are so finnicky.  It's too bad, because they really got the look and feel of the controller itself just right.

• Wireless Gamepad (RetroUSB): This is basically the exact opposite situation as the N30.  It looks bizarre and feels somewhat cheap, and a strange choice was made to use microswitches for B/A buttons and the dpad, resulting in a loud click every time you press anything.  It's a very loud controller.  The controller itself feels a bit poorly put together, like the two halves of the shell don't fit together exactly (tightening the screws doesn't help).  It all comes together in a creaky, clicky noisefest... but the dpad and buttons actually feel fantastic!  The dpad is also extremely accurate even on diagonals.

• NES Classic Controller (Nintendo) with Wiimote and Retro Receiver (8bitdo): Currently my favorite solution.  The controller features excellent build quality and a very accurate dpad, and it connects just fine using the Retro Receiver and an old Wiimote.  Any game plays great on this.

• Like 3

Well this one I can respond to thankfully due to amazing luck and timing.  I got a 9" Panasonic PVM last Wednesday night which gave me the opportunity to enjoy light gun games again after 15 years.  I pulled my decade old retired to a shelf boxed up action set for actual use, started up like new thankfully. :)

Since it has been out, I first went to sadly an everdrive to do it (for now, it's on order with Hogan's Alley both with manuals all launch copies) I went at it with Duck Hunt (image below) and really rocked out a solid score before I slipped up juggling my phone with the zapper.  Since then I've also played around a bit with a Supervision 16in1 cart I have that's fairly unique given the content.  I did try out my honeybee with Castlevania 3(jp) just to remember what it is like with the missing sound channels, not too bad, but now it is noticeable.

SMB3 made a debut a couple nights ago, all of us took a stab at it, even the hands off wife due to nostalgia and mommy begging.  I got it out so my kid could see giant world, but she blew it on the warp whistles and hit stage 2, then 5 since you couldn't hit four, so I restarted it and jumped there fast and she blew a ton of lives I racked up in 1-2 in a few minutes as a primer.  I've also taken a shot at Mike Tyson's Punchout and did pretty well until Bald Bull...jerk, been too long.  And yesterday I scooped up both Gotcha and Operation Wolf for $8 together and gave those some tries.  Gotcha is far more fun, good difficulty curve too, while operation wolf is a limited credit sadists mess, but something to grow with.

I also popped my various third party devices a SupaboyS and FC Mobile 88(famicom cart handheld) into the thing through their cables and was happy to see how clean the images were.  I did a little (since the kid was playing) Magical Quest on the screen and it was pretty to say the least.  I have yet to try out my Nomad, I have the RCA cable for that too. :)

Everything here is stock...zapper and blocky NES controller, though I do have an Advantage stick and a beeshu zipper pad too.

• Like 3

Willow

This is one I had back in the day, though I never made much progress in it.  It seemed absolutely massive.  This time around, I'm mapping the game out on paper as I play, and it's pretty funny how tiny (and linear) the game is when you actually draw a map.

This is an action-RPG similar to The Legend of Zelda, or more closely, Crystalis, based somewhat loosely on the 1988 movie.  It's an alright game with some decent graphics and a nice (but repetitive) soundtrack.  One of the coolest things is how the background tiles animate when enemies appear; grass and trees sway wildly in the wind, and rickety rope bridges swing dangerously back and forth.

Unfortunately, the game is just too formulaic to really stand out.  You arrive at a town, gather information about the problem they're having, travel to the conveniently nearby cave to kill something, and then it's on to the next town, etc.  The field areas between towns appear at first to be quite large and open, but are actually just extremely linear corridors that wind this way and that; basically just a cave with trees instead of walls.  Crystalis is also a linear game, but the field areas were usually wide open spaces that were easy and quick to navigate.

Anyway, I put a couple of hours into this, but will probably put it aside to play something more interesting.  Probably Dragon Quest III.

• Like 3

Yume Penguin Monogatari, leave it up to Konami to play as a penguin who has to lose weight to try and get his girl back. She has a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome too, because even when she gets kidnapped near the end of the game by the other penguin she ran away with, if you beat the last boss and are above the stage's weight limit, she goes back to the villain, and you do the entire stage again. Each stage has a weight limit you must stay below in order to pass said stage, fail to slim down, and you do each stage again.

• Like 5

Yume Penguin Monogatari is a fantastic cart (I own it) and it's such a cute game, but not super easy either due to the fatness that happens from a simple snack.  A game you can utterly wreck and win, to lose... she'll dump your ass for being fluffy even if you beat the end of the game for such a brutal twist.

I fired up Balloon Fight yesterday and crushed it up until I got pushed to where I'd have to stop, so I stopped it at 300000pts.  I had intended to take a swing at Mario Bros and DK3 so they're sitting next to the system.

Willow I tried again later last year, it is so so NOT fun.  I don't think it probably ever largely was other than maybe when the creaky issues it has in design were more acceptable due to unawareness how bad it was 30 years ago.  By now you either memorized what parts suck and just do it, or you're a glutton for punishment.

• Like 3

Dragon Quest III

Dragon Warrior II is probably in my top 5 games of all time, for any system, so it's always been a bit weird that I never really gave its sequel much thought.  I think I mistakenly assumed that the series went completely linear and story-focused with the third game for some reason.  Of course, that wouldn't happen until DQV (arguably DQIV I guess), so it's time to finally complete this one.

So far, I'm loving it; it's basicaly DWII but better in nearly every way.  After much thought, I went with two martial artists and a priest.  It's been a very fun party so far.  The martial artists start out very weak, but shortly into the game they become very fast, resilient, and powerful.  With two of them, you can often take out two tough enemies in the first round before the enemy even gets a turn.

It's very linear so far, but I understand that it opens up later on (much like DWII).  It's balanced quite well so far, though so was DWII honestly.  I haven't run around grinding EXP or gold at all, and despite some close calls, have not had a party wipe yet, and have had only a few deaths.  It's honestly a bit suprising how far you can push your party in this if you just pay attention in battle when selecting targets, and shuffle your party order if the character in the first position gets low on HP.

My next task is to explore a pyramid to get the magic key.  I've been mapping the dungeons on graph paper, and it's very satisfying to have a stack of my own hand-drawn maps on my desk as I play the game.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 4

Dragon Quest III

I've become quite addicted to this, and have been playing an hour or so a day every night.  I cleared the pyramid (not bad, though the man-eating chests were infuriating), got the magic key, and then went on to get the ship.  This opens the entire world up, so I've got a lot of exploring to do.

It's a good thing the game opens up at this point, because I was honestly getting a bit tired of the town>dungeon>town>dungeon structure.  I guess this is where all the 16-bit JRPGs got this from!  DQII had a lot less dungeons and a lot more trekking the world and gathering information in towns.  I do appreciate, however, that DQIII has very few boss encounters so far; normally, your goal in any given dungeon is just to get through it, or find some item at the bottom/top of it.  There have been some cool twists in the dungeons too (falling off the rope to find the Book of Satori, for instance).

Anyway, I'm still having a blast playing this.  My party has developed quite nicely, and the two martial artists are definitely VIPs at this point.  Between the two of them and the Hero, I can often take 2-3 tough monsters out before the enemy even gets a turn.  I gave the Falling Star Braclet to my priest, so that she can almost always get her turn before the enemies (for healing, support spells, etc.).  It's working out very nicely so far.

• Like 1

I'm taking a buckshot approach to playing so far.  Since the last post I got fed up with how the screen was not right and did hours of tinkering getting good base correction the first go around a few days ago, then did another correction earlier ago.  As it sits, screen is centered (right 8x8 area isn't off screen), spread out both ways to the right amount.  Focus was dialed in then then again a little more tonight as good as it'll get using the wheel.  The original run messing with the brightness and picture along with contrast wasn't right, thought I had it, but it was too too dark so in castle(SMB3) doorways were basically not viewable.  So I tweaked it more on picture, then realized I missed the fine tune for bright/contrast and got it (on external wheels) set at 50/50 as it should.  I tweaked the color just a little a bit too doing that stuff.  it's right, very right now.

I ended up playing a bit of SMB2, SMB3, Castlevania 3, Gradius, Little Nemo, just random bits of a few levels and or worlds on each to make sure it was stable, nice, all viewable, colors were good.  I've not been back around to gun games yet, but I'm thinking perhaps they may register even better with more proper definition and brightness/contrast settings since it looks for a white box/black field on a frame to work.

Normally, I use this clone box. However, I dusted off the Retron and got a 852 in 1 cart, for being able to save on a few titles I enjoyed. I could just play them on my Hackbox setup, but controls on that suck, lol. Other than Twin Cobra, this lil' multicart has everything I'd want. :)

IMG_8068.JPG

received_760446155579926.jpeg

• Like 1

How is that new NES cart multi?  Same crap where only 1 save at a time and if you pick the wrong game it nukes your data?

I'm still hitting it using the new screen every other day on average.  I missed out yesterday, but the day before I started up a little game of Faxanadu which was refreshing, also the day before dug into Mike Tyson's Punchout, Super Spy Hunter, and a few others which was fun.  So out of practice on so much of it so it's mindfully like doing a new game which is kind of cool and not given you remember doing better in the past.

Edited by Tanooki

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

How is that new NES cart multi?  Same crap where only 1 save at a time and if you pick the wrong game it nukes your data?

I'm still hitting it using the new screen every other day on average.  I missed out yesterday, but the day before I started up a little game of Faxanadu which was refreshing, also the day before dug into Mike Tyson's Punchout, Super Spy Hunter, and a few others which was fun.  So out of practice on so much of it so it's mindfully like doing a new game which is kind of cool and not given you remember doing better in the past.

It works well, but it's two huge multicarts in one. So, you must go through one menu setup each. Select chooses with cart. Only one game save possible, and there's other games that use that memory location, which also nukes it. The "save" using games I'd actualy bother with, are just menu driven RPG's that my Hackbox will run. Crappy control not an issue there. ;) I already use it for playing what I wanted from SNES, which wasn't much, using GBA emulator there. That actually controls great.

If you get the new translucent 139-in-1, 152-in-1, etc, they hold up to 25 separate saves. I've had that retron forever, and just leave it in.  I'm still baffled that of all my "less than raved about" games I like, that Twin Cobra didn't make the cut in 850+, lol I have it on my clone box, maybe I'll just buy a cart of it. :) Compared to the Super Games 143-in-1 I already had, which sucks, these others are heaven. Likely why my old retron still looks good, lol

Edited by zylon

@zylon OH WOW, serious?!  25 saves on those?  I need to see if I can dig up a link of those exact pieces and see what the game lists are.

I do like the ones I have, but I rarely use them, and when I do it's non-saving games because of that crap.  I'm really not surprised the biggie you have there is two carts, I've read up on this before as it has happened but it's a rare occurrence where it's just I guess the best sized chips they can get, so they rig it to pick A or B which does make sense.  TO me, though too many games.  The one I have topping around 150 is a bit much, but it's ok, while that 500 I'd avoid yet I got it with the handheld as it's a slog to tab each screen or worse individually to get to the point.

You know what I'd love to see in that pair you found, if someone did the Famicom/NES adventure package.  All those yummy Japanese adventures, RPGs, story driven(famicom tantei club, etc) games all translated and saveable on a cart.  I'd be all over that.  I do like the old stuff still, but it gets older fast and I think a nice adventure would more so drive the fun in further using my old system on my new PVM.

@zylon OH WOW, serious?!  25 saves on those?  I need to see if I can dig up a link of those exact pieces and see what the game lists are.

I do like the ones I have, but I rarely use them, and when I do it's non-saving games because of that crap.  I'm really not surprised the biggie you have there is two carts, I've read up on this before as it has happened but it's a rare occurrence where it's just I guess the best sized chips they can get, so they rig it to pick A or B which does make sense.  TO me, though too many games.  The one I have topping around 150 is a bit much, but it's ok, while that 500 I'd avoid yet I got it with the handheld as it's a slog to tab each screen or worse individually to get to the point.

You know what I'd love to see in that pair you found, if someone did the Famicom/NES adventure package.  All those yummy Japanese adventures, RPGs, story driven(famicom tantei club, etc) games all translated and saveable on a cart.  I'd be all over that.  I do like the old stuff still, but it gets older fast and I think a nice adventure would more so drive the fun in further using my old system on my new PVM.

this is same one I have- https://www.ebay.com/itm/166069162106?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3D6841daf0bdc44804a91c5a3e451ca56f%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D115752106660%26itm%3D166069162106%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V4V6ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecall&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A1660691621066841daf0bdc44804a91c5a3e451ca56f|enc%3AAQAIAAABQA2rugFlOq3qu1cLac%2F%2Fk6Vp0Oa0HaJIqoXKeIiOR%2BTUgsSvHaeyPxKYu6UqHqq7GaGyKVqHQnjeiiXcQpMGw2t3aB%2BssGfjtIWOBj8wExc7oYYP7xGMyQCrHDyDaSaWjB1CueI3A94n0yxXX5dx5gA5Ri4XtEGw82LlFkpxANP3mdqZ9qe7kQ934QM0L2cmq2k6FUySoJKqSP3vnFhgOtpMBr5VZqeXIViMgrCn38b5NT9%2BODcMDA5x1ifxjBvbfiB%2B0QUpfl14sazMvmJxtqcEEJfAciPIOPcd8C2LWIMQtG9KdIj90DPapmGkQG4C7n7skK%2BHlEjlFCQWTczp5wkW2V9MIDLZ1zFaWyuxsFd%2F9bXvj3rpN6%2FLRE%2Bp%2BaqC4Gu22otlcHroJN8S0GwiwoadOBU3Ds6sAalFAphI2UVy|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675

I have this one from before, but it's really "5-in-1" or so to me, lol. It came free with a used blue newer Retron than I got used and cheap. Haven't tested saving, as there's nothing on it, that I would use the feature- https://www.amazon.com/Super-Games-Transparent-cartridge-Nintendo-NES/dp/B07X1Z8G61

Supposedly, these type are the "good" ones- https://www.amazon.com/253in1-Classic-Collection-Cartridge-Transparent-Nintendo/dp/B095431N21/ref=pd_vtp_h_pd_vtp_h_sccl_3/142-2447158-2366932?pd_rd_w=zKzKQ&content-id=amzn1.sym.a5610dee-0db9-4ad9-a7a9-14285a430f83&pf_rd_p=a5610dee-0db9-4ad9-a7a9-14285a430f83&pf_rd_r=HPAVGVB6C21QMRA5553E&pd_rd_wg=GBWQn&pd_rd_r=4a826573-47ec-46fa-929a-98de0c6fd9b6&pd_rd_i=B095431N21&psc=1

Edited by zylon

@zylon  That last one in green I have not seen that before, couldn't even search that on ali-express.  Do you have more examples of that from the other sizes?  That's fantastic it can do all those independent saves and admits as much on the features list.  That one seems to use a battery free IC chip that can store a larger chunk of independent data, problem is no listings mention it except amazon.  I found the ONE retailer on ali with it, they show the same cart in red and blue too with the same sticker, notes it's a no battery save, but not that it can save all that info so what you found is vital.

EDIT: I asked about your 143 you got with the retron, that's the traditional cart, any of them using a battery only will save one game, any other game you pop up with SRM enabled(strangely SMB3) or actually does save will instantly wipe the save data off the cart for the new title effectively blocking you from using many other games until you're finished, it's junk.  I have one like this, I won't play the battery games on it because of that.

The beast though into the 800s Iv'e seen that on ebay, etsy, ali and amazon.  I don't really need that, it's overkill and have an everdrive for that.  It's that specific cart with the translations that's tangible goods vs fluff on a SD card it was it appealing to me.  I'm certain

Thanks for the ID on the 239 that's awesome.

Edited by Tanooki

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@zylon  That last one in green I have not seen that before, couldn't even search that on ali-express.  Do you have more examples of that from the other sizes?  That's fantastic it can do all those independent saves and admits as much on the features list.  That one seems to use a battery free IC chip that can store a larger chunk of independent data, problem is no listings mention it except amazon.  I found the ONE retailer on ali with it, they show the same cart in red and blue too with the same sticker, notes it's a no battery save, but not that it can save all that info so what you found is vital.

Thanks for the ID on the 239 that's awesome.

There's two or three models of that cart setup, ranging from 239-252 games, which supposedly work that way. Other than possibly doing the dragon warrior trio again, I'd never actually save anything, so a multicart trumps everdrive setups for me, and far cheaper. Besides, I like finding some of the hacks and demakes on those, like the R-Type on one of mine. :)

@zylon I totally agree with that feeling.  I have flash kits, but I kind of hate to use them unless it's necessary as it makes me not want to stick with anything I am doing since the ROM are all free as dumb as that may seem, and well because it's so easy to just thumb through way too much to get overwhelmed and focus on nothing.

That one you liked the 253 is the only one I can find at all on google, ali, etc that has the static IC and no battery to have all those saves so it's definitely fresh to the market with only one vendor.  Like you I'd use it for Dragon Warrior for sure, seeing that I no longer own any and would never pay the price 3 and particularly 4 goes for which is a favorite.

I found a list of the games in easier to read boxes from ali which I pasted below, it's huge.

It's a gem of a cart not just because of saving but they cracked the barrier of harder to get working higher mapper stuff too.  Castlevania III (mmc5) is a new piece, as are VRC chipped games like Gradius II, Twinbee 3, and Parodius. Startropics 1 and 2 MMC6 are also present.  MMC2 Tyson as well can be found on that list.  Obviously it doesn't host a huge library but what is there into the 300s is some of the best of the outright best you can enjoy.  And the highest hungriest isn't added  (supported?) as the VRC7 stuff like Metal Slader Glory and Lagrange Point with its FM sampling isn't present.

Sddfc53d2524b4e7cb7a84c18d11d6f34Z.jpg

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

@zylon I totally agree with that feeling.  I have flash kits, but I kind of hate to use them unless it's necessary as it makes me not want to stick with anything I am doing since the ROM are all free as dumb as that may seem, and well because it's so easy to just thumb through way too much to get overwhelmed and focus on nothing.

That one you liked the 253 is the only one I can find at all on google, ali, etc that has the static IC and no battery to have all those saves so it's definitely fresh to the market with only one vendor.  Like you I'd use it for Dragon Warrior for sure, seeing that I no longer own any and would never pay the price 3 and particularly 4 goes for which is a favorite.

I found a list of the games in easier to read boxes from ali which I pasted below, it's huge.

It's a gem of a cart not just because of saving but they cracked the barrier of harder to get working higher mapper stuff too.  Castlevania III (mmc5) is a new piece, as are VRC chipped games like Gradius II, Twinbee 3, and Parodius. Startropics 1 and 2 MMC6 are also present.  MMC2 Tyson as well can be found on that list.  Obviously it doesn't host a huge library but what is there into the 300s is some of the best of the outright best you can enjoy.  And the highest hungriest isn't added  (supported?) as the VRC7 stuff like Metal Slader Glory and Lagrange Point with its FM sampling isn't present.

Sddfc53d2524b4e7cb7a84c18d11d6f34Z.jpg

I've already seen carts from that vendor, being resold for 65-75. I highly doubt he makes them himself, and is probably importing them. The translucent ones seem a safer bet, as you can easily see if a battery or not. I haven't been on Ali in so long, my p-word expired, lol. I might get a couple. the 253 has nearly 20 I'd play, but near zero of my faves. The 239 & 249 at least have more my liking. Between all 3, maybe 10% of the titles are actually different. 239 is the oldest selection, then more added to 249, then some dropped, replaced, and added, for the 253. For me, 249 is the winner. None have more than 1, of my top 5, but not a dealbreaker, as I've already got'em on other stuff. 249 & 253 both state saving 25 at same time, in the data.

Edited by zylon

@zylon  The 253 in 1 seems to be best, this is an edit.

I found the game list for the 249 and then the 239 had a video I could skim for that, not sure what was better on those over the 253 as I just saw removals.  I'll end up getting the bigger one through ali I can wait a few weeks.  The game list there with all those Konami VRC chipped titles, Ys1-3 (Vs 1-2 only) and some others really seal the deal on that one.

Also funny gamepad fix.  I did something sorta similar with the utterly garbage made controller input posts on the old model of Supaboy before the S/sFC stuff came that was 100% redone to be accurate.  They had no blocker either so games all just malfunctioned when you could press 2-4 directions at the same time due to no nub.  But due to stupid d-pad posts inside an inch deep! I had to get tricky and use an electrical screw cap, sanded the nub down to the right height, and suddenly games worked right. :D

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

One of the removals, was actually one of my favorites, Star Force. If I'm playing NES, it's 90+ percent going to be 1942, 1943, Twin Cobra, Star Force, Mario Bros, Burgertime, Millipede, or Tiger Heli. So, this lil guy is ideal. The ports and switches being reversed, takes getting used to, lol. One good thing, is the wiring is the same as regular controls, so I can just remove the cable and solder it inside another. Picture and color is good, with smoother framerate than the 143 multicart.  I'll have to tinker with the HDMI version one of these days. My newer blue and rose Retron is actually worse than the original. At least the sky on SMB is blue on old one, but purple on the new model, lol. Better controller, but you only get one, and no power plug thingy.

received_539570444803660.jpeg

Yikes that's a hell of a downgrade not even getting the color right in SMB.  And I guess I get it over Starforce.  That would suck if you counted on it.  I felt that way in shock seeing what I wished was there years ago with the new run of multis, the lack of the MMC2 and 5, also the mid-level konami VRCs and namco/sunsoft equal that one I ordered has.  I do own Starforce, it's the Hudson Caravan Collection on SFC, imported the cart last year and it's a solid bundle of that, star soldier and starship hector.

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yikes that's a hell of a downgrade not even getting the color right in SMB.  And I guess I get it over Starforce.  That would suck if you counted on it.  I felt that way in shock seeing what I wished was there years ago with the new run of multis, the lack of the MMC2 and 5, also the mid-level konami VRCs and namco/sunsoft equal that one I ordered has.  I do own Starforce, it's the Hudson Caravan Collection on SFC, imported the cart last year and it's a solid bundle of that, star soldier and starship hector.

I think that's Caravan Shooting Collection, on my SNES multicart. I have a Retro-Duo, but rarely use it. The SNES side sometimes works, and not having use of turbo buttons on NES side, relegated it to "spare". I should probably get a retron2, but not a priority. I cover SNES with Genesis & GBA :) Back then, there wasn't much on it, that wasn't on Gen, and the exclusives didn't pull me. It was actually the 1st system I ever sold off, in 1995.

Well that's a very poor substitute both ways for the SNES, lousy really.

If you don't want to eat a heavy cost of an old system or one of those trashy poorly done clones, despite their track record the Supaboy S/SFC/Beach/BlackGold has a seemingly 100% accurate core.  You don't have to use the lame screen and speaker it has, the unit comes with a mono(like plug) to stereo rca cable to a TV jack and has 2 SNES stock controller ports on the front.

I never had a use until I got my 9" PVM last month, tried it out of curiosity and the output was nothing short of amazing, not the typical fuzzy bleeding tearing mess you'd expect.  They can be had for $100 or less new or used, would be a solid option.  And if the wide screen (option on the SFC/blk/bch to go normal mode) isn't an issue or being a thick handheld it works great for what it has on it as is.

Well that's a very poor substitute both ways for the SNES, lousy really.

If you don't want to eat a heavy cost of an old system or one of those trashy poorly done clones, despite their track record the Supaboy S/SFC/Beach/BlackGold has a seemingly 100% accurate core.  You don't have to use the lame screen and speaker it has, the unit comes with a mono(like plug) to stereo rca cable to a TV jack and has 2 SNES stock controller ports on the front.

I never had a use until I got my 9" PVM last month, tried it out of curiosity and the output was nothing short of amazing, not the typical fuzzy bleeding tearing mess you'd expect.  They can be had for $100 or less new or used, would be a solid option.  And if the wide screen (option on the SFC/blk/bch to go normal mode) isn't an issue or being a thick handheld it works great for what it has on it as is.

It seems to do a decent job on the SNES side, for what I've tried anyways. NES sound on it, is worse, but seems just as compatible with what I'd actually play. It does perform better with a real cart, than the multicarts. I'd bought it as it seemed like being able to use SNES controls, and having turbo buttons, was a great idea, but it's not. It doesn't read the other two as turbos of the others, and maps them funny to me. Instead of A-B, it uses X-A. At least, it didn't flip them, like some junkers do, lol. Stock controller for it, like other cheapies, is 50/50. I always get one good one, and one not too good. Becomes parts for the good ones. ;)  It wasn't bought with SNES in mind, but at flea market price, and played NES. I only picked up a multicart, since it had a slot for one. Not sure if it's 2.0 or 3.0, but still has the power switch with off being center. I think it not moving far enough, might be what makes the SNES side not work, at times. My old silver Retron is still undeposed, lol

Edited by zylon

Dragon Quest III

This game gets seriously good once you get the ship.  It really becomes totally nonlinear and exploration-focused at that point.  You can get most of the orbs in any order, and from that point there don't seem to be any massive difficulty differences from area to area (I do know about the second world you eventually get access to later, and I'm sure that's a lot more difficult).  There are also very few "boss" enemies artificially gating your progress; instead, your goal is usually to find some quest item in a cave or tower. As long as you can survive the random encounters and get to the item (you don't even need to get back since the game retains whatever you've accomplished even if you die), you have nothing to worry about.

The individual scenarios at each town/castle are a lot of fun.  You rarely just go to a town and are told to go to the nearby cave to get the orb.  You might have to reveal a monster posing as a king, or wait until night to visit a ghost town, or take a trial of courage all alone (with no other party members).  It really puts most other console RPGs to shame, with their linear and boring "beat the super troll/skeleton/dragon at the end of the cave to get to the next town" structures.

I also like how good the game is with hints.  As long as you talk to everyone at town (during the day and at night) and take good notes, all the information is right there.

Finally, I like how useful the support spells are.  Many, many enemies can be put to sleep, silenced, or confused, rendering them mostly harmless (though getting the spells to stick is of course not guaranteed).  You can also almost always run from tough battles, if not on the first round, then the second round (and if not on the second round, then almost definitely on the third round).  I'm always annoyed when RPGs give you the option to run, but it hardly ever works.

What an awesome game.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 4