IGNORED

3D printed replacement parts.

SpicyChronos

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been around. I have big plans to continue my disk archiving project. Life,  work, etc got in the way.

Anyways,

I've been collecting 1050 drives, and some of the units I have, have damaged cases, some top covers, some bottom.

I've been looking around for any 3D models of the case, so I can try and print some replacement parts.

I found the bezel 3D STL files and I'm trying to print the bezel with two printers and materials (PLA and PETG), and should have results tonight.

Does anyone have any of the cases in STL files, or could work on designing at least the top cover for the 1050?

I'm trying to learn how to create things in TinkerCAD, and I've designed a item to help with making Flippy disks readable in a Kyroflux,  Greaseweasle type setup.

It'll help with making a new timing hole, so the disk can be flipped, so you don't need a modified drive.

I think I'm rambling on, so I'll end it here, but I hope to help out and do what I can for disk preservation and 3D models for reproduction parts.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

the average hobbyist printer wont be able to print something that size - by a good margin! so it unlikely that a design has been done

i designed a 1050 fascia bezel and had to manually increase the print bed size in the slicer settings to get it agree to print - due to the longest edge (in this case, the width) being on the limit! fortunately it printed ok but i think other users might've struggled depending on printer dimensions.

the 1050 casing is much longer than this width and would likely have to be done in multiple parts with some sort of interlocking feature - not likely to look that good.

maybe there are commercial options? ive heard some chinese PCB makers can do 3d printing in exchange for £?..

AFAIK most of the entry level filament based printers have 200mmx200mm print bed capacity. 

My ender 3 Pro is 200mmx200mm, although I have the option to buy a conversion kit to upgrade the print bed capacity to 400mmx400mm.

Afaik having done a lot of research a set of stl's have not been created /made available for the 1050 casing parts. 

There does exist a full stl for the 'whole' which is to scale from 2014 on Thingyverse.

Maybe it's creator has the original cad source files as you can't really do anything with it currently afaik. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:561691

Edited by Beeblebrox