IGNORED

NETUSBee would it be worth it?

If you still have a "real" hard drive, then using a USB thumb drive to back it up is really useful

with NETUSBEE, I don't think the network software works very well, I never got STING to work

just cased crashes when trying to configure it.

The only thing I got to work was UIPV31_1.TOS which provides a drag and drop from your PC

to ST or from ST to PC, all actions are done on the PC.

Saying that, my NETUSBEE now refuses to use the network, the lights are on, but nobody's home :)

rather disappointed as I hardly used it on the network.

I've also used a mouse with it.

• Like 1

Interesting...I use mine on my home network all the time.  STING works here, and I use FTP, IRC, and email software, plus you can browse the web through sites like frogfind and 68knews (though it's still frustratingly slow).  Recently I've completed the pico wifi project (https://github.com/czietz/picowifi) and no longer even need to connect to the router via a cable.

I guess everyone's mileage is different.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Atari8guy said:

Interesting...I use mine on my home network all the time. 

That's interesting because when I bought mine, I couldn't get any network utilities working and I was a little

concerned about the lights that lit even when no network cable was connected, I sent it back for the supplier

to test, he said it was all working fine and not to worry about the lights.

As I said STING never works and now no network, I suspect it was faulty in the first place but a bit late

now to do anything about it, had it too long, you live and learn :(

25 minutes ago, Atari8guy said:

Interesting...I use mine on my home network all the time.  STING works here, and I use FTP, IRC, and email software, plus you can browse the web through sites like frogfind and 68knews (though it's still frustratingly slow).  Recently I've completed the pico wifi project (https://github.com/czietz/picowifi) and no longer even need to connect to the router via a cable.

I guess everyone's mileage is different.

Pretty much the same results here...

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

That's interesting because when I bought mine, I couldn't get any network utilities working and I was a little

concerned about the lights that lit even when no network cable was connected, I sent it back for the supplier

to test, he said it was all working fine and not to worry about the lights.

As I said STING never works and now no network, I suspect it was faulty in the first place but a bit late

now to do anything about it, had it too long, you live and learn :(

A lemon is always possible, but if you want to explore something....on Exxos site, there is a lot of discussion around how the NETUSB really just barely works and its very sensitive to it's power feed.  I don't recall all the details of that convo as I haven't had issues, but if I remember one thing, I think it doesn't like a full 5V, it prefers a bit less...which means it doesn't work well with EXXOS own replacement power supplies.

1 hour ago, Atari8guy said:

A lemon is always possible, but if you want to explore something....on Exxos site, there is a lot of discussion around how the NETUSB really just barely works and its very sensitive to it's power feed.  I don't recall all the details of that convo as I haven't had issues, but if I remember one thing, I think it doesn't like a full 5V, it prefers a bit less...which means it doesn't work well with EXXOS own replacement power supplies.

Now that is interesting, I bought a low power 68000 CPU from EXXOS some time ago, while the case was off, I checked the power supply

voltages and they were a little low, so I did a re-cap which didn't make any difference, so I adjusted the voltage up to 5V.

I had random hangs and crashes with the new CPU, so I put the old one back and the ST was fine again.

Swapped back in the low power one and lowered the 5V back to where it had been before and the system was stable

so the CPU was rather touchy running @5V , I decided to put the old CPU back in and adjust the 5V back to the

correct value.

Now what I don't remember is if the NETUSBEE network was working when the STE power was below 5V.

Looks like open her back up again sometime and reduce the 5V, I think it was at 4.85V on load, so inside spec.

and see if the network side of the NETUSBEE works again, the USB side is fine all the time.

• 2 weeks later...