IGNORED

XEP-80 on Raspbery Pi Pico

cbelcher

10 hours ago, phigan said:

r6zsMva.jpg

Hey, I wonder how Chatari will look on this.

It will look like 80 columns, and will display most incoming messages fine. The problem is output text length, Chatari only seems to handle a 77 or 78 output character length that might be due to CIO output buffer not being greater than 128 bytes... the output string has overhead pre pended to get you chat where it belongs. ex PRIVMSG ##atari etc your chat text blah blah.

22 hours ago, phigan said:

Anyone get this working with BobTerm yet? I've tried with 1.21 and 1.23, both having the module named xep80.btm and xep.btm. Nada out the HDMI (in terminal mode).

Thought I could edit my original message, but have to reply. Looks like the module should be named module1.btm instead of what I was trying. There's also a bootup.btm and I'm not sure which module that is yet.

Edited by phigan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Could someone with one of these see if Atariwriter 80 will run on the XEPico?

Thanks.

Well, it sort of runs. When you first run it, the menu comes up on the XEP screen, but it's not formatted correctly. This is what I got:

image.thumb.jpeg.249c9df354fb769cd22b664b0514cdc4.jpeg

Then I hit C and started to type.. when I got to the end of the line, the screen went blank as if the XEP80 emulator in the Pico crashed.

After power cycling everything, I tried it all again and got a different result.. Once I got to the end of the line, it started duplicating my text, and pushing the duplication off as I typed more and more....

image.thumb.jpeg.847e566eb6f245b6efc1c0ae79b6c685.jpeg

So then I tried booting the 130XE version, and it crashed at the end of the first 80 column line I tried to type just like the first attempt. And btw, that was without the chinese screen attached to the Sophia 2. I was just using RF out. There were no further attempts :)

Edited by phigan
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, phigan said:

Well, it sort of runs. When you first run it, the menu comes up on the XEP screen, but it's not formatted correctly. This is what I got:

Then I hit C and started to type.. when I got to the end of the line, the screen went blank as if the XEP80 emulator in the Pico crashed.

After power cycling everything, I tried it all again and got a different result.. Once I got to the end of the line, it started duplicating my text, and pushing the duplication off as I typed more and more....

So then I tried booting the 130XE version, and it crashed at the end of the first 80 column line I tried to type just like the first attempt. And btw, that was without the chinese screen attached to the Sophia 2. I was just using RF out. There were no further attempts :)

The regular XEP-80 does stuff like this if you haven't done a clean power cycle between uses.....not sure that's what is causing this issue, but maybe it helps point us in the right direction...

On 7/9/2023 at 5:14 PM, phigan said:

My recently arrived unit does the same thing.  Funny if you press "Shift-Insert" it aligns the rows above the cursor properly.  My thought is maybe Atariwriter 80 uses its own, not quite the same, XEP driver from even the disk supplied with the XEP, or it pushes something back through the joystick port to the pokey?  -- my most distant thought would be perhaps something to do with Atariwriter 80's ability to use the XEP printer port, but I can't see how that would make a difference...would be nice to get this fixed...

After some more playing around I think it's a timing issue, the XEP emulation is not fast enough to handle the output from Atariwriter.  My theory (and its only a theory) is based on using VT850, that allows you to control the baud rate, when you slow it down, the XEP Pico doesn't drop characters or start rows in the middle of the screen, etc.. but if you run it at 4800 or even faster those errors pop up, much like the picture above of Atariwriter.  The faster you go, the more errors you get.  This holds with Bob-term too, so I don't think it's specific to VT850, I think it's the emulation code.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The universe wanted to punish me for that post, I guess. Tonight I was using the Atari with the XEP plugged in but no HDMI in it for a bit, but then I wanted the 80 col so I plugged in the HDMI .. When I loaded BobTerm with the XEP module and connected to some places, I got garbage characters on the big screen! Same thing regardless of baud rate. Power cycled everything and tried just running 'xep80.sys' in SDX.. same thing! Garbage characters just doing a 'dir'.

Has anyone else had this happen?

• 2 months later...