IGNORED

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

doctorclu

10 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Some people are good at shmups. I am not. I still enjoy them, but I tend to end up replaying the first few levels over and over.

I wish Jaguar had gotten a Raiden ][ port though. Purple beam FTW.

I'm right there with you.  I adore shmups.  I play a ton of them, or at least the first 2-3 stages until I get destroyed.  I have a whopping three 1CCs under my belt - Gradius on the PCE, Gradius NES, and Nemesis on the GB.  But there are games like Raiden on the PSX that I've played hundreds of times and can barely make it to the third stage.  It's a torturous existence, being addicted to something you suck at.

And yes, Toothpaste Laser ftw!  There is something about Raiden II that must make it hard to port.  It's one of the most popular entries in the already-beloved classic series, and yet it only got ports to the Playstation and the PC.  The original got a bajillion ports, and Raiden III, IV, and V got several.  Even the Raiden Fighters spinoff got an Xbox 360 compilation and a mobile port.  But Raiden II (and Raiden DX, which is based on Raiden II) keeps getting snubbed.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the PSX port of Raiden 1&2, and it plays great on the PS3.i also always thought it was weird there weren't more ports. Instead, during the appropriate timeframe, Raiden "Trad" showed up everywhere, which seemed like a Raiden 1.5. Meh.

We had a Raiden II cab at the movie theater I worked at in high school. Many an hour between cleaning theaters on slow summer weekdays was spent "cleaning" something in that area. We all got pretty good, meaning we could clear maybe a level or two on a single credit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 10:16 AM, PFG 9000 said:

I'm right there with you.  I adore shmups.  I play a ton of them, or at least the first 2-3 stages until I get destroyed.  I have a whopping three 1CCs under my belt - Gradius on the PCE, Gradius NES, and Nemesis on the GB.  But there are games like Raiden on the PSX that I've played hundreds of times and can barely make it to the third stage.  It's a torturous existence, being addicted to something you suck at.

And yes, Toothpaste Laser ftw!  There is something about Raiden II that must make it hard to port.  It's one of the most popular entries in the already-beloved classic series, and yet it only got ports to the Playstation and the PC.  The original got a bajillion ports, and Raiden III, IV, and V got several.  Even the Raiden Fighters spinoff got an Xbox 360 compilation and a mobile port.  But Raiden II (and Raiden DX, which is based on Raiden II) keeps getting snubbed.

To replicate the insane level of graphical detail and shrapnel effects of Raiden II on Jaguar would be next to impossible.

Raiden II has not arrived on modern consoles via Arcade Archives yet, likely due to Seibu Kaihatsu using an extremely devilish piracy protection, which i think was the same reason it took years to emulator the game on MAME

Edited by KidGameR186496

On 4/30/2023 at 4:24 AM, cubanismo said:

Yeah, I have the PSX port of Raiden 1&2, and it plays great on the PS3.i also always thought it was weird there weren't more ports. Instead, during the appropriate timeframe, Raiden "Trad" showed up everywhere, which seemed like a Raiden 1.5. Meh.

Raiden I was ported to most 16 bit systems when shmups were very popular.

Raiden II would have been out of reach for 16 bitters and shmups popularity was in decline, except Japan. That might explain the lack of ports.

It is curious the Saturn got no port, but I guess it was due to licensing policies.

There is a clone of Raiden II, Shienryu, playable on PSP, PS3 and Vita. I think Raiden Project was also released as a digital download, but only in Japan store.

On 4/29/2023 at 4:22 AM, cubanismo said:

Some people are good at shmups. I am not. I still enjoy them, but I tend to end up replaying the first few levels over and over.

I wish Jaguar had gotten a Raiden ][ port though. Purple beam FTW.

Correcting my hazy memory. 

Martin Hooley of Imagitec Design presumed Raiden II would be converted to the Jaguar, so didn't want to upstage it with their conversion of Raiden 🤔

raiden-imagitec-interview-st-format-56.jpg

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Those guys had some crazy predictions in that article lol

Consdiering the games they produced for the Jaguar, I'll let them have a few crazy predictions.  :D

Thank you Imagitec for I-War, Dino Dudes, Raiden, and Bubsy!  :)

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Wilco said:

The Tempest 2000 soundtrack as well! :) 

Ahhh... I see.

(goes back to the Imagitec wiki and re-adds Tempest 2000.)  LOL

Hmmm

Composers for Tempest 2000:

Alastair Lindsay
Ian Howe
Kevin Saville

Bubsy:

Alastair Lindsay
Kevin Saville

I-War:

Alastair Lindsay

As for Raiden, a bit more difficult to find, since Raiden is so popular.  Nothing quite so Jag specific.

Anyway, now with the Tempest 2000 soundtrack, more impressed with Imagitec.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 4