IGNORED

Replacing cartridge guide on my Atari 400

So, last night, I was playing some of the Atari manufactured cartridges on my 400 (the cartridges with the sliding mechanism to expose the pcb inside, like the 2600 and 5200 carts have, too).  I played Donkey Kong and went to insert Centipede and it wouldn’t insert.   I realized that the DK cart snapped off the one remaking prong and I cannot insert the Atari carts anymore since they can’t open, unless I rig something to try and open them manuallly, which is a pain.  Does anyone know where or if I can get a replacement cartridge guide for a 400?   I tried Best Electronics, but can never find anything on that mess of a website.    I would try gluing the prongs back on, but I think they’ll just snap off again.

A 400 has a slightly different guide.

You can try and fix it. Gluing a piece of plastic instead of the broken one would be too fragile. But you can file a gap in the plastic of the guide and then put plastic through it, fastening it from the bottom as well.

Look at the attached picture (it's from an XE I have but it has the same problem).

20230427_232038.jpg

Edited by Peri Noid

That XL guide looks pretty similar...

I wonder how much modification it would take on the STL file to get it to fit...

My cart guide is a bit cracked (not the tabs tho, so it still works) so I wouldn't mind trying to print a new one, but I'm not great with 3D design.

If it's something that I could do with Tinkercad, then I might try.

Of course, that means I would need to take my 400 apart and pull out my current guide...

So, not in the near term, but if someone else doesn't get to it, I might try to do that later when I get some time...

11 hours ago, tillenterprises said:

So, last night, I was playing some of the Atari manufactured cartridges on my 400 (the cartridges with the sliding mechanism to expose the pcb inside, like the 2600 and 5200 carts have, too).  I played Donkey Kong and went to insert Centipede and it wouldn’t insert.   I realized that the DK cart snapped off the one remaking prong and I cannot insert the Atari carts anymore since they can’t open, unless I rig something to try and open them manuallly, which is a pain.  Does anyone know where or if I can get a replacement cartridge guide for a 400?   I tried Best Electronics, but can never find anything on that mess of a website.    I would try gluing the prongs back on, but I think they’ll just snap off again.

Best no longer has them. His addendum changed the status to Sold Out some time ago.

8 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

A 400 has a slightly different guide.

You can try and fix it. Gluing a piece of plastic instead of the broken one would be too fragile. But you can file a gap in the plastic of the guide and then put plastic through it, fastening it from the bottom as well.

Look at the attached picture (it's from an XE I have but it has the same problem).

20230427_232038.jpg

Thanks, good idea