IGNORED

Atari Jaguar no Display and Hello to everyone

sasquatchuk

First of all Hi to everyone, Im new here but run a YouTube channel repairing my old retro stuff amigas Atari 2600 just done the cleancomp mod love it. I now need your help,  Hoping someone has some pointers for me here. I have a Atari Jaguar that fails to display on either RF or Composite video says no signal or no channel found. All the chips are warm voltages seem fine at u38.  I've cleaned and reflowed the Cartridge slot and bios.  Next I was thinking of removing the bios and replacing it what you think.. I have a scope but its not really up for testing the jaguar 

Anyone know of any other problems that could help. 

Cheers in advance 

Edited by sasquatchuk

7 hours ago, else said:

You didn't say if you have cartridge plugged in.  The Jaguar won't turn on without one in.

I presume that was the case as the voltages a U38 were reported to be correct.

If you are just getting a black screen with no boot audio or tumbling letters boot screen rather than the Red Screen of Death (RSOD) then unfortunately requests for help with this issues have come up before and to date as far as I know no solution has been found.

The closest to a solution I have come to so far is that when using a SkunkBoard which fast boots the Jag bypassing that intro and a test program it that the video outputs parts of the test program ran fine but when I tried the audio section it just hung up on me, indicating that the issue may lie with the DSP but I do not have a lot of time to work on it so have not progressed any further than that.

That does not necessarily mean that your Jaguar and the others have the same issue but as they appear to be presenting the same, then it is possible the same fault in common to all of them.   

Thanks for the info. Will lift the bios chip and replace it..  and check the traces under it..  I will keep working on it can't let it beat me. Shame they so rare to get hold of for parts.. do you by anyway know whee to get the joystick ports from.. I Seen.blur but not black.. 

19 hours ago, sasquatchuk said:

do you by anyway know whee to get the joystick ports from.. I Seen.blur but not black.

I am surprised you are having difficulty finding them in black as in my experience that is the "standard" colour, as long as you are searching for 15 way high density D female (a.k.a. socket/receptical) I would think you should be able to find some. Makes sure it is right angle (90 degree) and through hole.

There is no indication as to whether the colour matches that of the image but this might do you, if you can only find them with the screw lugs as shown they are easily removed but what I am not sure about with this on is if the pin spacing is correct but they are usually fairly standard.

• Thanks 1

Green.. I have tried tuning it different countries made no difference..  I solderd the composite video lead to the board and no output on av.. but the machine is deffo running.. I will change the cap that the composite video signal runs through to the rf modulator.. 

I've tried a few tvs.. even tried soldering a cable direct to the filters I was thinking the composite signal is to weak hence why the picture is poor on rf as it is fed from the composite and on composite it says no signal. I have changed the caps on the composite video circuit still the same..  its really annoying as I know the jaguar is loading games ect.  

• 6 months later...

@sasquatchuk how ya doing?

I've got the same problem with video. I can hear games playing thought audio and have an extremely poor rf signal, barely visible. 

No av image. 

See my post here:

I planned to recap and have a replacement bios chip from retrosix, but I am not convinced these are responsible. 

Did you get to the bottom of it for you own Jaguar? 

Edited by Beeblebrox