IGNORED

Atari Acquisition Megathread (Stern, Nightdive, Accolade, M Network, and now ATARIAGE!)

GraffitiTavern

7 hours ago, JPF997 said:

No need to act so smug

Oh, that wasn't smugness.  It's not really in my repertoire.  I'd classify it more as mild sarcasm with a hint of self-effacing delivery.  Sure, those two things could be considered to be odds with each other to one extent or another, but such is the nature of humour.

In any event, buying properties (or the rights to them) that are going to sit unused just ties up capital that could be used for other things.  For an organisation the size of, say, Warner Bros., this isn't a big deal, but at Atari's scale it doesn't make sense.

One thing I do wonder about is how well an Atari-manufactured VIC20 / C64 / Amiga mini or similar would be received by both the Commodore and Atari camps.  Somehow, I suspect that it would make the discussion around the modern VCS look like Shakespeare's sonnets by comparison.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Coleco has launched (via Kickstarter) new mini arcades recently, but it doesn't look like this brand has a lot of value. Atari could probably buy that one, but to do what? Except for the brand itself, Coleco doesn't really have a catalog of games. The console mostly got ports. The Coleco mini arcades I've mentioned offer games that have no connection to Coleco:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/colecorevival/coleco-revival-berzerk-frenzy-and-topracer-mini-arcades

In addition to the arcade ports, many of Coleco's original games based on licensed properties like Smurfs & Wargames.  If you bought the Coleco catalog at best you get a few unencumbered sports and educational games.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I mean I don't get why you're so resistant to the idea of Atari buying a former rival when it would probably cost them pennies to do so, even if it's not that profitable it's always good to own more retro content, but really the big prize I want them to go after is the remnants of commodore, the c64 and amiga mini's proove that there is still demand for that type of content and it would be cool if Atari owned it (at least I think it would be ).

I don't think if has anything to do with being a rival.   Most of Coleco's games library is owned by something else,  there's not much to be gained from purchasing the small amount that isn't.

Parker Bros is similar, they published lots of popular games, but almost all of it was licensed from someone else.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nall3k said:

They released Flashback classics several years ago for Switch.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

He means Rollercoaster Tycoon etc. The rest of their massive catalog.

I mean more collections of all the other old stuff they've been buying up. The Switch collections (Flashback an 50) don't really delve into all the other stuff they've been buying...

Here is a few year old Atari acquisition many are unaware of.

https://atarivcs.medium.com/atari-and-wonder-join-forces-on-cross-platform-gaming-2c0f6867d448

Some say it's dead since nothing has happened.  Who knows.  Others wonder if this could be the 'big update' the VCS is supposed to receive.

Of interesting note- Nolan Bushnell invested in Wonder.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, GraffitiTavern said:

Do you think they will ever  try and go after the Atari Games properties held by Warner Bros?

I can see them going after the cheapest parts of that catalogue, but I don´t think they will in the near future. I think the catalogue as a whole is too expensive for them.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

There does seem to be actual strategy to Atari's recent acquisitions.  I'm not completely sure what it is yet,

I think the strategy is that Wade Rosen loves retro gaming, so he wants to buy everything that has anything to do with it. And by financing the purchases through issuing new stock, he gets to increase his ownership in Atari at a lower share price than if he had to buy from existing owners. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, JPF997 said:

Since Atari seems to be serious about the idea of becoming a powerhouse in the retro gaming market don't you guys think it would be a good idea for them to start buying iconic but deceased gaming brand's like Commodore and Coleco,

I think they are more interested in promoting their own brand at the moment. But if they succeed in becoming a retro powerhouse, then I think they will want to restore other retro brands to some degree as well.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, Lord Mushroom said:

And by financing the purchases through issuing new stock, he gets to increase his ownership in Atari at a lower share price than if he had to buy from existing owners. 

Wade is legally not allowed to buy any more stock or he will be forced to do another takeover bid.  That is why he did a convertible bond sale and bought most of them himself...  once they convert to shares in a couple years...he will have the 50% of Atari he wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:40 AM, PowerDubs said:

Others wonder if this could be the 'big update' the VCS is supposed to receive.

I’ll end that speculation, it is not. This update is focused on a lot of bug fixes, Bluetooth, and other performance updates. The VCS is getting in advance the newest Linux kernel updates. We are also starting to add more UI features that we will continue to add in future updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Wade is legally not allowed to buy any more stock or he will be forced to do another takeover bid. 

Is that a special French rule or something, or is it a normal rule?

What exactly is the rule?

Edit:

I googled it:

• a mandatory takeover bid that a bidder is required to make if, as a result of an acquisition of securities, a shareholder crosses (alone or in concert with others) a threshold of 30% of share capital or voting rights of the target company, or if it increases, within 12 consecutive months, its shareholding by more than 1% in shares or voting rights while holding a shareholding between 30% and 50% in shares or voting rights.

Seems like a strange rule, but apparently it is common to have a variation of this rule around the world. Not in the US, though.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

Yup= Atari is a French company- so he is limited to a 30% threshold.  So-he accumulated as much as he could last fall...and sits at around 29%

But as already mentioned- he then sold convertible bonds- bought most himself as a way to gain effectively gain control of the company- just not actually yet.

This prevents other players from swooping in and stealing the company from him.

He obviously has plans- and has invested 10's of millions of his own money... so... yea...

4 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

Interesting strategy for the Bubsy acquisition, they have made an open call for indie devs to pitch a new Bubsy game to them

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/atari-calls-on-indie-devs-to-pitch-a-new-bubsy-game

I like that they made an article out of that. I don´t think it was Wade´s original intention to reach out to developers in this way, but with the increased attention from this article, I think the game is on.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW SURPRISE ACQUISITION: Awesomenauts and Swords & Soldiers

Awesomenauts is a 2D sidescrolling MOBA released in 2012

Swords & Soldiers (and the sequel) are sidescrolling strategy games from 2009 and 2018

The acquisition is from Dutch indie studio Romino Games, which went bankrupt two months ago. The two series form the bulk of the small studio's catalog. This is the first entirely modern acquisition Atari has made so far and seems like an odd choice, although I presume the IP was quite cheap. Unknown now if this deal includes hiring of any of the studio employees.

Press Release: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/10/24/2765946/0/en/Atari-Acquires-Awesomenauts-Swords-Soldiers-from-Ronimo-Games.html

Destructoid Article: https://www.destructoid.com/atari-acquires-multiple-game-properties-from-ronimo-including-awesomenauts/

Topic Thread: