IGNORED

Atari Acquisition Megathread (Stern, Nightdive, Accolade, M Network, and now ATARIAGE!)

GraffitiTavern

14 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Calling them faux Atari shows me that you have no respect for the current version of the company so why should they bother listening to you're requests?

... I can like their current general output and direction, but they aren't really Atari.  To be honest, if they keep buying other retro stuff and releasing decent games, they are doing much better job that most iterations of the Atari brand name. 

"Modern, Faux Atari" wasn't meant to be dismissive -- I was being tongue in cheek whilst focusing on the fact the current rights holder has the catalog, but isn't actually the "historical" Atari.  I suppose I could have done something more like "Dear Atari 6.0" -- but I'm not actually sure which iteration the current one is!

6 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Yea...I love dumb comments like that.

What those kinda people *think* was 'real' Atari wasn't anyway....

"Hey Warner- your fake Atari!!!"

Now now... Warner was at least 50% Atari at one point!  Heck, the current WB Games, in theory, has some sort of twisty lineage leading back to Atari!

Edited by DavidD

16 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

Now as much as I like 'Which Atari is the Real™ Atari' arguments, there are plenty other threads for that

Verily.

However, if Wade's Atari would be so kind as to release more compilations of classic games on a variety of modern systems and platforms, I'd appreciate it.  It might also be worth partnering with Hamster...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DavidD said:

Verily.

However, if Wade's Atari would be so kind as to release more compilations of classic games on a variety of modern systems and platforms, I'd appreciate it.  It might also be worth partnering with Hamster...

Wade's Atari (a la Tramiel Atari) might be the best name I've heard so far in terms of referring to the current era

As for the compilation, I would totally be down for some kind of compilation containing all the classic Stern titles + Berzerk Recharged. It is the 40th anniversary of Minefield as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

Frickin' Digital Eclipse now, too. I was hoping they'd remain independent... I guess that was too much to ask for.

https://mastodon.online/@DigitalEclipse/111328481902436698

Holy, I was expecting a strategic investment but not an outright acquisition. That's huge. (also thanks for the Mastodon link)

Maybe it's just me, but I sort of would rather have the company NAMED something else, and have Atari be one of the subsidiaries -- the company right now is really more of a holding company/publisher, right?  That is, there is no current development team under being run as "Atari" right now, right?

Edited by DavidD

47 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Does this mean that a second volume of Atari 50 is confirmed? 😄

Doesn't seem too likely when most of the flagships under their full control made it out already in Atari 50, but hopefully some DLC for Atari 50 happens. There's certainly plenty of material left including quite a few good games that they could take advantage of to build an expansion pack around.

I asked the Atari SA rep that was posting here after they had bought AtariAge if there were any plans for some DLC and he said something to the effect of "stay tuned". Hopefully a good sign that we'll see some additions there with games that missed the cut the first time around as well taking advantage of all of these recent acquisitions.

If they do a good job it should also help reawaken some sales interest in the main collection as well now that it's yesterday's news. Seems like a no-brainer but we'll just have to wait and see if it happens.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Whether it's as DLC or a separate release, doesn't particularly bother me.

We know that they're sitting on at least a hundred more games from the ones that were in Vault, plus the acquisitions from M Network and Stern.

For some more flagship titles, they could do a deal with Activision. Such things have happened in the past to get the games on Flashback consoles so it shouldn't be impossible, even if acquiring them outright would be beyond Atari's current means.

4 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

Epyx (or what remains of it) should be their next purchase. Atari 50's selection of Lynx games was pretty sorry... it would be like releasing a Sega collection with no Sonic in it. 

A more accurate comparison would be a MSX compilation with no Konami game, or a PC Engine compilation with no Hudson game.