IGNORED

Alien Abduction (by John Van Ryzin) - (WAS in VCS Store - removed)

davpa

2 hours ago, brianwolters said:

Thanks for all of the input...I am a new VCS user and I was just about to get the game and I guess I missed it. 

You should check out A.R.T.I. 7800 by MuddyVision on the Atari VCS 800 if your looking for something similar gameplay wise to Alien Abduction. I would highly recommend A.R.T.I. 7800, it's visually stunning and play's like a dream and is great with the Classic Joystick, and the developer leaves it up on the Atari VCS store so as not to deprive new Atari VCS 800 owners the chance to play it on a modern system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:55 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

This game always seems to disappear from the Atari VCS store. It's probably down for good this time to maximize cartridge sales in the end. It's a fun game but i personally stopped bothering with it in the end due to all the keeping it on the store then removing it again etc, I'll certainly not be buying it on cartridge .  

Isn't this just the second time it disappeared? @davpa took it down after the six month digital exclusivity ended, but he added back after discussing with John Van Ryzin. Was there another time in between I am forgetting?

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Isn't this just the second time it disappeared? @davpa took it down after the six month digital exclusivity ended, but he added back after discussing with John Van Ryzin. Was there another time in between I am forgetting?

I'm pretty sure it was down atleast another few times last year and then put back up after a few day's. There really is just to much going on with that game and the reality is it's just not worth caring about anymore or that's how i feel about it now. I would have bought it on cartridge and everything but after all the up and down from the Atari VCS store it's shown me it's never really been about the gamers with Alien Abduction, it's all about money and getting it released in physical form and charging a rip off price for it. I hope for new Atari VCS users the digital game does end up on the store again, it's a decent enough game but there's just no reason for it to be up and down like a yoyo as the digital version wasn't hurting anything and certainly wouldn't hurt the cart release at all. I don't have the game downloaded on my other two Atari VCS consoles and now its down i still don't feel the need to reach out to Atari to have them push the game to my other systems i really won't miss it. Atari can remove the game from my account for all i care now 🙂

• Like 3

On 6/11/2024 at 3:09 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I'm pretty sure it was down atleast another few times last year and then put back up after a few day's. There really is just to much going on with that game and the reality is it's just not worth caring about anymore or that's how i feel about it now. I would have bought it on cartridge and everything but after all the up and down from the Atari VCS store it's shown me it's never really been about the gamers with Alien Abduction, it's all about money and getting it released in physical form and charging a rip off price for it. I hope for new Atari VCS users the digital game does end up on the store again, it's a decent enough game but there's just no reason for it to be up and down like a yoyo as the digital version wasn't hurting anything and certainly wouldn't hurt the cart release at all. I don't have the game downloaded on my other two Atari VCS consoles and now its down i still don't feel the need to reach out to Atari to have them push the game to my other systems i really won't miss it. Atari can remove the game from my account for all i care now 🙂

agree, too much drama for an average game...

• Like 3

Really isn't ok to take this away from people who purchased it. There is no ability to re-download. It has me mad enough to not be buying the physical cart, at least for now, although my cart addiction will probably win in the end.

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2024 at 7:09 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I agree completely, I never really got to play it properly and now I can't download it - if I could, I'd just ask for my money back.

• Like 1

Just now, THX-1138 said:

I agree completely, I never really got to play it properly and now I can't download it - if I could, I'd just ask for my money back.

If you are really that interested in getting your money back on it, just ping Ashlee on the VCS Discord and she would probably be able to do that for you.  She might want you to send her a DM with your receipt though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Really isn't ok to take this away from people who purchased it.

That's what people tend to misunderstand. You do not purchase the game (song, film whatever), you only purchase the right to play (listen to, watch) it for a certain, limited time.

That's why I much prefer physical copies.

• Like 2

There was absolutely no reason to remove the digital version of Alien Abduction from the Atari VCS 800 digital store other than to generate more hype and gain more money for the game. The digital version of Alien Abduction wasn't going to hurt the physical release and it should really be about giving gamers the choice to go digital or pick the game up as a physical cart. Not every gamer can afford to fork out an arm and a leg for a physical release so sometimes digital is another option. I guess money talks though. I wouldn't be touching this game on physical release even if it was sent to me for free now, i can see this game for what it is.

3 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

There was absolutely no reason to remove the digital version of Alien Abduction from the Atari VCS 800 digital store other than to generate more hype and gain more money for the game. 

John gave the reason last night in his interview with ZPH. He got promised a physical release by Atari. Which then never happened. Therefore he decided to make a cut with Atari. IMO that's totally understandable. Your anger is targeting the wrong one.

BTW: Nobody is making fortunes with Atari 2600 homebrews.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

John gave the reason last night in his interview with ZPH. He got promised a physical release by Atari. Which then never happened. Therefore he decided to make a cut with Atari. IMO that's totally understandable. Your anger is targeting the wrong one.

I haven't had the chance to catch up with ZPH yet due to the time zone difference but thanks for making me aware of the current situation. I don't have any anger towards John, it was the full up and down and up and down again like a yoyo and the constant drama behind Alien Abduction that's caused frustration and personally it's just not for me anymore, especially for a game that's pretty average. It all makes sense now though and i hope John sells many many physical releases whilst us who bought the digital version to support him and the game can't get the game back on our systems after we payed for it. I'm fine with that though Atari can remove Alien Abduction from my account, i had my fun with it and thoroughly enjoyed it but other users might not feel the same about there digital copy. I guess these things happen though.

8 hours ago, Neon Wraith said:

If you are really that interested in getting your money back on it, just ping Ashlee on the VCS Discord and she would probably be able to do that for you.  She might want you to send her a DM with your receipt though.

I actually did that earlier, I asked her to see if it can be put back on my account, if not refunded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I haven't had the chance to catch up with ZPH yet due to the time zone difference but thanks for making me aware of the current situation. I don't have any anger towards John, it was the full up and down and up and down again like a yoyo and the constant drama behind Alien Abduction that's caused frustration and personally it's just not for me anymore, especially for a game that's pretty average. It all makes sense now though and i hope John sells many many physical releases whilst us who bought the digital version to support him and the game can't get the game back on our systems after we payed for it. I'm fine with that though Atari can remove Alien Abduction from my account, i had my fun with it and thoroughly enjoyed it but other users might not feel the same about there digital copy. I guess these things happen though.

My own annoyance with it is the yoyo drama like you said.  Now I'm being told we didn't get the final game anyway, but apparently 20 levels while the final game has 80.  I never got to play it, but I feel done with it.  I have asked Ashlee to see if it can be re-added to my account, or if I can just get a refund.

• Like 2

It's pretty disingenuous to take the game away from people who purchased it because you're mad Atari wasn't fast enough in offering a physical cart. He could have released a physical and digital version through Audacity Games without any impact on those who already supported him financially. It's totally common, happens all the time on steam and such. Leave the game available for the VCS and just release your physical SKU with digital upgrades on top of it.

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's what people tend to misunderstand. You do not purchase the game (song, film whatever), you only purchase the right to play (listen to, watch) it for a certain, limited time.

This was absolutely his decision to screw over his prior financial supporters who paid for the game, there is no requirement whatsoever that made him choose to deny it to his fans here. He could have released through Audacity without any impact whatsoever to existing purchasers. You are correct about the license terms, but that only applies if and when someone or some company decides to be a jerk about it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Now I'm being told we didn't get the final game anyway, but apparently 20 levels while the final game has 80.

That's messed up and as much as i did enjoy the game however, i couldn't imagine doing any more than the 20 levels us Atari VCS users got lol playing through another 60 levels well I'll give that a pass 😅. I guess the extra levels will be good for the physical release but i do feel kinda ripped off now only getting 20. I really just want this game wiped from my account. I have it on two of my Atari VCS consoles and the other two don't have it. I'm deleting it from my systems, i don't even want a refund. I wish i could gift the game from my account to a new VCS user who might be interested in it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

that´s why i extracted the rom so i can play it whenever/wherever i want

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

It's pretty disingenuous to take the game away from people who purchased it because you're mad Atari wasn't fast enough in offering a physical cart. He could have released a physical and digital version through Audacity Games without any impact on those who already supported him financially. It's totally common, happens all the time on steam and such. Leave the game available for the VCS and just release your physical SKU with digital upgrades on top of it.

That's something you would have to ask John. Maybe it was his decision, maybe not. Or maybe he wasn't aware of any potentially resulting problems.

So it has happened again. I am guessing that this time, David Crane being the active publisher probably told John to take the game down from the VCS store. Since the VCS version is now a 20 level demo compared to the 80 level final version, I don't see why they could not leave it up on the VCS.  It is however the developer and publishers right to stop sales of the game on the VCS and it is not their fault that the VCS store was not designed correctly for this situation to keep access to the download.

When we paid $9 for this game we were all under the assumption that we were getting the final version of the game. Now we find out that the game was known by the developer to be incomplete at the time of putting it on the VCS store and we were all misled to believe we were getting the final complete version of the game.

I do not blame Davpa as he was probably under the impression that it was the final version at the time.  The developer should have told Davpa that the game was in an incomplete state and would be getting more levels in the future so it could have been correctly listed as a long partial game demo.

This is the 3rd time this game has been taken away from the VCS store which means that people who paid $9 for it may no longer have access to easily download it.

Hopefully Atari can improve the store to allow for removed games to still be easily accessible to those who paid for them.

In this digital age, we as customers expect to have easy access to game downloads that we have paid for even if the game is no longer up for sale. Maybe Davpa can put it back up for $999.00 like he did with Tailgunner so people who paid for it will still have access to the download.

Wasn't the original drama around this game due to the fact that some youtuber posted a video about how to backup games off the VCS, creating a piracy scare?   I think that was the first time it disappeared

I believe the first time Alien Abduction was removed from the store it was to do with the YouTube video Frank made, and it did create a piracy scare and everybody freaked out, myself included. The ROM never did leak online though and Frank was simply just showing us how to protect and back up our game purchases and game demo's like wallet abduction 2600 on the Atari VCS 800. The demo went back up on the store and was removed again after a few days and then back up again and now removed for good.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:07 AM, Mockduck said:

This was absolutely his decision to screw over his prior financial supporters who paid for the game, there is no requirement whatsoever that made him choose to deny it to his fans here. He could have released through Audacity without any impact whatsoever to existing purchasers. You are correct about the license terms, but that only applies if and when someone or some company decides to be a jerk about it.

I mean, he basically admitted to this in not so many words in the 2600+ subforum when he was chastising Atari for not giving him the offer he wanted, while insulting the users here over people still being interested in "old games".

On 6/15/2024 at 2:53 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Nobody is making fortunes with Atari 2600 homebrews.

It's not that it never happened. It didn't happen fast enough according to him, and to his liking, so he dumped them and went to Audacity instead.

Kind of still a bummer that Goldrush/Casey's Gold hasn't seen the light of day, after Crane cucked Dan Kitchen's idea and made Circus Convey instead.

29 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I believe the first time Alien Abduction was removed from the store it was to do with the YouTube video Frank made, and it did create a piracy scare and everybody freaked out, myself included. The ROM never did leak online though and Frank was simply just showing us how to protect and back up our game purchases and game demo's like wallet abduction 2600 on the Atari VCS 800. The demo went back up on the store and was removed again after a few days and then back up again and now removed for good.

Frank did not make that video, just defended it and was falsely accused of making the video. Backing up a game you paid for is not piracy and there is nothing wrong with helping others to learn how to back up the games they spent their good money on.

That video was made by another small youtuber who was just trying to help people learn how to back up and play the game they paid for the way they want to play it.

Edited by E. King
  • Like 2