IGNORED

Alien Abduction (by John Van Ryzin) - (WAS in VCS Store - removed)

davpa

I don't think the game has been posted and shared online as i had previously read and had thought. I've been checking online and on YouTube to see if any videos have popped up recently of anyone playing it on another system or emulator outside of the Atari VCS 800 and i can confirm there has been nothing, so if anything it might be have been dealt with in time thanks to the swift response of Atari regarding the video that was posted. I do know this wont happen again, so hopefully John it doesn't put you off releasing anything on the Atari VCS 800 in the future 🙂. I will buy and support the game wherever it ends up once the VCS exclusivity has passed. 

• Like 2

John, I would just like to say thank you for bringing your wonderful, creative work to us.  Hopefully you will be able to create more new content and release it on the VCS in the future.  I enjoy the platform and use it more than any other device aside from my phone (which I only have a solitaire game and Missile Command on).

At any rate, keep up the good work.  I have played a few of you games in the past, but hopefully more in the future.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:40 PM, John Van Ryzin said:

Wow that sucks, was not expecting to get rich from my H.E.R.O. like game, but I did not think it would get stolen so quickly.

Video game business was always hard, constant new technology to learn, lots of business success/failure ups and downs and lots of winner/loser game projects.  But getting my game stolen before buyers can even discover it is quite ridiculous.

Thinking I should go back to being retired.

I absolutely love your new game.  I haven't seen the game out in the wild and Atari did take measures to tighten up security on the game.  Hopefully you will not be retired and will make some more amazing games for the 2600.  You are indeed a legend in Atari programming!

• Like 4

Nobody has stolen or pirated this game and anyone who was spreading that narrative was not being honest.

Thank you John Van Ryzin and Atari for selling this great Atari 2600 game rom through the VCS store.

This is a great game and anyone with a VCS who likes Atari 2600 games should buy it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

I would be happy to buy a digital version of the game … and play it on my Atari 2600 (via my Harmony cartridge). Is this possible?

Unfortunately not possible at the moment as its an Atari VCS 800 exclusive for now. I think in the future its guaranteed to be released on cart for the 2600 with a digital version at some point too.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks like this has been removed from the Atari VCS 800 game store? hopefully its just an error? If not thank goodness we have the amazing A.R. T. I. 7800 as a similar substitute for new VCS owners or anyone who was looking to pick up Alien Abduction 2600 in the future. it's a shame i would have preferred both games to be available in the store. 

• Sad 1

I really hope its a mistake in the store, thinking about it more i see no reason Alien Abduction couldn't remain in the store as a digital download and also still get a physical release on cartridge, it makes no sense to remove it from the Atari VCS store and it would be a stupid move. I'll certainly not be buying Alien Abduction on physical release if its been removed permanently from the Atari VCS store as a digital download. I still stand by everything i said in the past in this thread, it really is a great game but id get the feeling if its removed from the VCS just because its getting a physical release a bit of a slap in the face for everyone who bought it on the VCS in the first place and for people who where wanting to buy it on the VCS. I'll probably delete Alien Abduction from my system and move on, its a good game but its not that good and superior to all the other games that it should be removed from the VCS store.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

Maybe it had a 6 month exclusive deal on VCS?   And now they want it on cart to help promote 2600+?      

We don't know.

I definitely do not like how Atari has handled this (assuming it really got removed forever). Or is asking for more transparency already  asking too much?

There definetaly should be some notice given before a game gets pulled that way people can grab it or people who already own it can have it on there system. Its not very convenient if you own the game to need to contact customer service to get it pushed to your account again either should you need to reformat the system or something in the future. I wasn't for backing up the games on the VCS originally and was annoyed that Frank or whoever it was that put out a video showing you how to back games up on the VCS etc but having thought about it more i payed for Alien Abduction so ill be getting the ROM of my VCS this weekend and playing around with it, i might even try and get it working on the Gamestation Pro and the 2600 flashcart. I think the guy who made that video was trying to do us a favour. 

• Like 1

hey guys, just want to let you know what is up here.  Yes, Alien Abduction is offline at the moment.  I hope to get it back up soon.  I got a message, very late evening on Halloween, to take it down after the 6 month exclusivity time frame expired.  I had no choice but to take it off the Store as soon as I read that request as it was the wish of the developer to do so.  Now, I think there is a touch of confusion on being exclusive for a time period and then what other avenues he can pursue with his game, so I feel confident that we can have it back on the Store soon.  But as the creator of the game, he has ultimate choice in what he wishes to do and I have to abide by those wishes.

Now, if you have the game, you can still play it.  The game will not be removed from your VCS.  If for some reason you have to redownload it, contact Support and we can fix that issue.  Right now the VCS is a bit clunky with this kind of mechanic, something I want to address in a future update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

We don't know.

I definitely do not like how Atari has handled this (assuming it really got removed forever). Or is asking for more transparency already  asking too much?

I didn't get really any notice on this either.  But as soon as I read that request, I felt I had no option but to honor that request.  I've been in contact in order to change this situation.  I'll let you know if anything changes as quick as I am able to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davpa said:

100% false.  Your game has not been removed from your VCS.  It has been removed from the store.  Nobody is begging to get a game they own.  This is just shit-stirring.

100% Yes the game has been removed from the digital store and is no longer available for download to those who previously purchased it. 

Also, many customers have constant issues buying games on the VCS so not sure why you are so defensive about it.

It is how the VCS works unfortunately flawed with technical issues so you should not get offended by people talking about it in an honest way.

Edited by E. King
typo

Just now, E. King said:

Yes the game has been removed from the digital store and is no longer available for download to those who previously purchased it. 

Also, many customers have constant issues buying games on the VCS so not sure why you are so defensive about it.

It is how the VCS works unfortunately flawed with technical issues so you should get offended by people talking about it in an honest way.

I have to agree with David here, your description for that video states, "Atari VCS takes your money and then takes your games away that you paid for and they keep your money."  That's not being honest at all, it's clickbait. 

..Al

Just now, Albert said:

I have to agree with David here, your description for that video states, "Atari VCS takes your money and then takes your games away that you paid for and they keep your money."  That's not being honest at all, it's clickbait. 

..Al

What the meaning is that the game is no longer available for download, I will edit the description to make that more clear. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm defensive because you have twisted what is happening.  You say, more importantly, implied, that the game is being taken away from people who purchase the game.  100% false.  Yes, the need to redownload is clunky, something I'm trying to address in a future update, but we have 100% to make sure you have access to what you have purchased.  Same thing goes for Tailgunner.  The developers requested to take it off the store, like they did with Steam and every other platform, because they broke up as a development team.  That was their choice and I don't have the right to continue to sell a game that the developers request to take off the store.  But like with Tailgunner, if you need to re-download it, we'll get it back to you in our current, clunky ass way we are currently doing it.

So yes, I take complete offense on your crap take on the situation.  I'm not happy the dev requested to take the game off the store.  I'm trying to fix that.  I don't need you creating ill feelings on things that are not actually happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davpa said:

I'm defensive because you have twisted what is happening.  You say, more importantly, implied, that the game is being taken away from people who purchase the game.  100% false.  Yes, the need to redownload is clunky, something I'm trying to address in a future update, but we have 100% to make sure you have access to what you have purchased.  Same thing goes for Tailgunner.  The developers requested to take it off the store, like they did with Steam and every other platform, because they broke up as a development team.  That was their choice and I don't have the right to continue to sell a game that the developers request to take off the store.  But like with Tailgunner, if you need to re-download it, we'll get it back to you in our current, clunky ass way we are currently doing it.

So yes, I take complete offense on your crap take on the situation.  I'm not happy the dev requested to take the game off the store.  I'm trying to fix that.  I don't need you creating ill feelings on things that are not actually happening.

When Atari takes the customers money for a digital game, the customer should have easy access to that game. Plain and simple.

Not sure how anyone can disagree with that point.

It is all too common on the VCS for customers to have issues getting games. The technical issues are ridiculous and many people still have problems after buying games trying to download them. 

Also, the VCS store should have been designed to allow people who paid for the game to still have easy access to download it even if the game is no longer available for purchase for new sales.

That is the entire point of the video and if you don't get that then I don't know what to tell you.

This full thing is just a disaster. I've cautiously went ahead and bought the two new games that hit the store today but I'm genuinely feeling that if i don't get all these games off my system backed up asap I'm going to regret it in the end, it's a lot of money. I do think it will be great if the OS and store can be upgraded to recognize when you have purchased a game that its yours and should you need to download it again in the future and its removed they'll be no need to contact customer support. I still don't understand why this digital download on the store cant exist alongside a physical cart its utter nonsense and greed to get more money for game.

I need to get Tail Gunner pushed to another two of my Atari VCS consoles. I have it installed on my other two VCS consoles but will now contact support over the weekend to get it pushed to the other systems.

• Thanks 1