IGNORED

Wanted: Ultra Speed Plus O.S. (CSS)

Larry

It is a bit like apples and oranges, but I have spent some time exploring the features of the Black Box and comparing those to the Ultra Speed Plus OS.  Here's what you get, and what you are missing.

Black Box

Typically A user-selected single OS (usually the XL/XE OS).  So you have no easily switchable OS selection.  But you can have a multi-OS eprom board like the RamRod XL or a 4-in-1 using switches and a 27512 eprom.  My everyday Atari computer is a 600XL with an Antonia 4MB, so that is another way to get multi-OS.  I don't remember if the BB is compatible with the Ultimate 1MB.

Easily swappable drives from the BB drive configuration menu.

96 partition selections chosen from the BB menu.

High-speed (3X) SIO

No special 720-sector ramdisk (as with the US+), but you can set up 720 (or 1040) sector partitions on your hard disk or compact flash card in single or double density.  I've used ACARD SCSI to IDE converters, but now I use an "Aztec Monster" which includes a built-in CF adapter.  It also works with SD card adapters.  (Attached is a screen shot of the Drive Configuration page showing two 720-sector drives.)

You also get RS-232 and a printer interface + optional print buffer, but I haven't used those in many years.

You can also add the Floppy Board and get even more flexibility.

Now, what you are missing from the US+ OS.

Keyboard lock

Screen DMA toggle

Key click toggle

Internal Basic toggle

Key repeat selection

Adjustable screen colors

Cold start without memory loss

Built-in mini sector copier

Built-in configuration editor

38/40 column switchable

Fast Math package

Better memory test

Many of these are just a POKE to the XL/XE OS.  If I had to choose, I'd pick the Black Box, but the US+ is a really nice product, too, and well worth having.

Black Box Drive Config Page.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, Larry said:

96 partition selections chosen from the BB menu.

The BB allows you to point to specific sectors for the partition list. I used to keep track of multiple partition lists that I kept in a 720 sector partition itself, for back up purposes.

Before ATR's I used to setup up 720 sector partitions and sector copy my software to them for faster loading. I have had 3 partitions lists of 96 partitions each setup at one moment in the past.

Glad I Bought one back in the day. Still have 3.

• Like 1

As can be seen in the (previous) Drive Configuration Page, after I got past the first large partition, I allocated 1000 sectors to the 720-sector drives for easy math.  BITD with small drives, I wouldn't have been so wasteful.  With the Floppy Board attached, it really is a beast, but I've 99% moved on to ATR's, so I will likely not use the FBs anymore.