IGNORED

Happy Warp 1050 7.1 Schematic

56 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I think it's been done, there are so many discussions on and off that if it hasn't been, maybe enough is gleaned to twiddle the needed bits so to speak.

edit --- looks like you already found some of it :)

That's just a snippet @phaeron posted.  I started a disassembly then realized he had snippet of a disassembly, with comments, posted.  That implies there is a complete disassembly, with comments, around. 

6 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

What ROM version is your partial disassembly from?

It's from a modified v1 ROM, I need to rebase the disassembly now that we know the correct v1 and v2 ROMs. This code is from common code in the main service loop, however.

• Like 2

Not very important, and probably just for the record. Note that there is no such thing as Happy 7.1 hardware or board revision. 7.1 is a software version, the last known public one. But it is compatible with all Happy 1050 boards and both firmware revisions.

Edited by ijor

26 minutes ago, ijor said:

Not very important, and probably just for the record. Note that there is no such thing as Happy 7.1 hardware or board revision. 7.1 is a software version, the last known public one. But it is compatible with all Happy 1050 boards and both firmware revisions.

Good point.  (Edit to add:  I took the 7.1 version from the "Happy Warp 1050 V7.1 schematic by Jerzy Sobola.)  There appears to be some firmware incompatibility somewhere as the "Happy 3" firmware didn't work with my board.  (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/213804-1050-happy-warp-with-led-display-v3/)  The drive didn't didn't even boot, unfortunately.

(I know, there isn't really a R 3 version of the Happy firmware as it's patched.)

Edited by reifsnyderb

Both of my original 1050's are running with either a 6502B and a W65C02.  As those CPU's are faster, I'd rather use a cheaper 6502 and re-claim my better CPU's for something else.  So, I decided to order some.  The CPU's arrived today and the one I tested runs nicely.  As I've seen pictures of other Happy compatible boards running a 6502, there won't be a problem.  My re-creation of the Happy boards has a couple solder jumpers, on the bottom, to select the type of CPU. 

I noticed that my MULE disk is showing some wear, so I used a disk copy program with both of my 1050 Happy drives and made a new copy.   :-D

1579048656_cpuswrapped.thumb.jpg.b9dbfa97cc80d12e9e5bd5bc9d474a2d.jpg

It's amazing how they just wrap these things together to ship them.

1068097340_cpusunwrapped.thumb.jpg.b4a4bd710f8a64c3388e41f165c6d7b1.jpg

assembled.thumb.jpg.3bcbe18007c5a9a35267a232ef6c66b0.jpg

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 4

On 5/21/2023 at 11:17 PM, phaeron said:

However, I seem to recall that the flip-flops on the controller option board in that schematic are actually swapped. The controller option board affects two memory regions:

• Access to $4000-7FFF toggles the write protect state
  • Access to $9800-9FFF or $B800-BFFF clears the write protect flip/flop, and if the switch is set to Slow, sets the 6502's V flag on every other access. (Note that this is the unused 2K of RAM address space in the 6K configuration.)

These address ranges are swapped from the wiring in the schematic, and I seem to recall that this was needed to get the diagnostic tests to pass. But it's been a while.

I finally got around to looking into that schematic.  (Mainly because somebody asked me about the controller board.)  What a mess.  Looking at the source code and the schematic, it does appear the flip-flops are swapped in the schematic.

Here's my latest address map with some additions...

1593850748_1050AddressMap2.thumb.jpg.f4f0fe1cea89d3f15245761779f3d47f.jpg

Edited by reifsnyderb

1 hour ago, macsonny said:

Can a track display be run from this board?

Not without extra circuitry.  This board is based upon the "Happy Warp 1050 v7.1" schematic by Jerzy Sobola....which doesn't even include an interface for the fast/slow switch and write protect switches.

I've started looking into how to add the fast/slow and write protect switches.  However, thus far, I haven't seen a comprehensive map of all of the possible options.  The address map is also a complete mess due to a limitation on the number of chips used to decode addresses.  (I just realized that I am probably missing some mirrors of the hardware addresses, too.)  Most of what I've discovered, thus far, has been from studying schematic diagrams, reading through the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual, and looking at some of the source code.  ( @phaeron has been a great help as well. )  Also, from what I've been told, the track display is only available via a modified ROM.

At this point, I am thinking the best option may be a new board with proper address decoding.  I'll add the track display to my "to-do" list and see if it's feasible.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 2

After looking at the number of chips required to improve the address decoding, I decided to just add the additional 74LS139 for the Happy Control Board decoding.  The factor isn't so much cost as board real-estate and the fact that I'd have to re-design the entire board to add the extra few chips required for tighter decoding.

As best as I can tell, a track display was not provided by the original Happy firmware.  I am not sure what utility there would be to have such a display, either. 

Here's the section of the schematic with the decoding and connection to the Happy Control Board added:

433016302_HappyControlBoardDecodingAdded.thumb.jpg.efc3ea3b2cde0b5c561f858990ea658b.jpg

I only have the addresses called for in the firmware listed.  There are a load of address mirrors for this configuration and I've figured them out as follows:

U8A

/Y1 = A14 & /A15 4000-7FFF

/Y2 = /A14 & A15 8000-BFFF

U8B

/Y3 = A11 & A12 9800-9FFF, B800-BFFF

Hello reifsnyderb,

The schematics are either from cloned boards or reverse engineerd from a clone board.

If you look at the memory map that is decoded by any of the address decoders, you'll find they all do the same.

And to the best of my knowledge / experience, the track display was a hack by a private person.

The displays are just put on a address in the memory map. (With lots of "shadow" addresses.

In fact, all the "shadows" are a result of incomplete address decoding, based on chip-count.

Either because of cost, or because of board-size.

The use of a track-decoder is in analysing disk-protection scemes.

And of course it looks way cool 😃

You could use a GAL device to do a decoder that can be changed.

I've once made that design and a board, but never got to make the logic in the GAL.

I do own one original Happy board. (Got it as a gift)

And I never got to use it. It arrived "in the middle" of creating the MegaSpeedy1050 boards.

Best regards,

Guus Assmann

Edited by guus.assmann
Typos and added text.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, guus.assmann said:

Hello reifsnyderb,

The schematics are either from cloned boards or reverse engineerd from a clone board.

If you look at the memory map that is decoded by any of the address decoders, you'll find they all do the same.

And to the best of my knowledge / experience, the track display was a hack by a private person.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was starting to suspect as much.

The displays are just put on a address in the memory map. (With lots of "shadow" addresses.

In fact, all the "shadows" are a result of incomplete address decoding, based on chip-count.

Either because of cost, or because of board-size.

Makes sense.  It's looking like I'd have to add another 3 or 4 chips to lock in the address decoding.

The use of a track-decoder is in analysing disk-protection scemes.

I suppose it would be of some help but it still doesn't isolate the sector.

And of course it looks way cool 😃

🙂

You could use a GAL device to do a decoder that can be changed.

I've once made that design and a board, but never got to make the logic in the GAL.

I wouldn't mind doing it this way.  However, some chips are still in short supply so I'd rather not go this route at this time.

I do own one original Happy board. (Got it as a gift)

And I never got to use it. It arrived "in the middle" of creating the MegaSpeedy1050 boards.

Best regards,

Guus Assmann

Thanks!

Brian

15 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Well, I have a tiny little problem.  I don't have an actual happy board.  But I did find these schematics...

🙂

True. But hi rez pics can get you 70% there.  

Since you are in PA, PM me your location and maybe if you are local I can lend you one of the original Happy 1050s I have. (No idea if it works). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

True. But hi rez pics can get you 70% there.  

Since you are in PA, PM me your location and maybe if you are local I can lend you one of the original Happy 1050s I have. (No idea if it works). 

Do you have the Happy Controller Board, with the switches and LED?  I think that hi-rez pictures of both sides of that board and measurements as to the switch/LED locations, are all that I could use at this time.

Best Regards,

Brian

3 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Do you have the Happy Controller Board, with the switches and LED?  I think that hi-rez pictures of both sides of that board and measurements as to the switch/LED locations, are all that I could use at this time.

Best Regards,

Brian

I do not have that.    But the thread I linked to does have pics. 

He may be referring to this thread:

There was also a guy in the Detroit area (?) that made a replacement controller and other small hardware add-ons.  Can't remember the name at the moment.  But I never actually saw one of those boards.  Edit: Bingo! -- Innovative Concepts, I think.  And I think the board was called the "Imitation Controller."

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

There was also a guy in the Detroit area (?) that made a replacement controller and other small hardware add-ons.  Can't remember the name at the moment.  But I never actually saw one of those boards.  Edit: Bingo! -- Innovative Products, I think.

Of course, in the last 10 - 15 years (maybe longer?) Steve Tucker (“Atarimax”) has made repro Happy 1050 boards too; I have two of them for my only two 1050 drives. I have no idea how much the board design differs from the originals. 

• Like 1