IGNORED

"GEISTERHAUS" - New game inspired by an old VCS classic

olix

So, finally done. I decided that my little game, inspired by the VCS classic is now finished.

image.thumb.jpeg.1096028e09b08b270abfbceef53f79e8.jpeg 

"GEISTERHAUS" is the German word for a building that is haunted ;-)

The game is programmed for PAL, but also runs on NTSC machines. (But I only did a color adjustment and no speed adjustment. That means it runs a bit faster on NTSC than under PAL). 

I could test the game only on my PAL hardware, NTSC only on the emulator. So it would be very helpful if someone with realt NTSC hardware could test it ...

The ROM version fits on an 8K EPROM and even runs under a 400 and 600XL with 16K RAM. The floppy version needs 48K RAM. It should be run on 400/800/XL/XE with OS-A, OS-B and all XL/XE OS.

I think my result is very close to the old VCS classic.  After all, I reprogrammed it completely without insight into the original source code. Only by playing, watching and trying out the original. However, I only used 6 instead of the 9 game levels from the original, but maybe I'll do that when I have more time.

I admit the game isn't particularly exciting, but I was always jealous of the VCS in my childhood because this program didn't exist for my Atari 400. And if it's not perfect, please keep in mind that this is my very first game that I wrote completely in assembler...

Quick Guide.pdf Geisterhaus_1_0.atr GHV10.XEX GHV10.ROM

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, olix said:

Now I am a little confused! Are you the fastest game box designer I know or does this game already exist and I did all this work for nothing?😕

Think he started creating the game box when you started programming the game... but it is missing the obligatory CXL (or RX) number.

5 minutes ago, olix said:

Now I am a little confused! Are you the fastest game box designer I know or does this game already exist and I did all this work for nothing?😕

Don't panic! :)I have created a "silver box" template for myself some time ago for other prototype games that never got an official box, so it was just swapping the picture from VCS original game!

Your work is much appreciated and it's NOT for nothing! ;)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr.Bacardi said:

Don't panic! :)I have created a "silver box" template for myself some time ago for other prototype ...

Looks really great! Do you also have a template for the cartdridge sticker?

Looks really great! Do you also have a template for the cartdridge sticker? And is it ok, if i use your design for my box (only for private, non profit use)

2 hours ago, olix said:

Just for fun, I'd love to make a version on cassette, but how do you do that? How do you create a tape from a COM file from a floppy disk ?

Solution: Supercopy (or Super Copy):  http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-super-copy_15934.html

1) LOAD, 3) from .EXE file, D:Filename.EXT

2) SAVE, 1) as Boot Tape, REC+PLAY, burp, burp, RETURN

wait 10 minutes.

Done.

You can also convert the file into a bootdisk and vice-versa.

Note: Supercopy will only convert ML files with 1 data segment and 1 RUN adress; no Init adress allowed! max. filelength: 32KBytes;

(Boot Disk or Boot Tape to EXE File will always create a ML file with data segments $1F00-xxxx and RUN adress 1F3F; Supercopy can also be used to "relocate" files that use very low memory, e.g. loading from start adress $0700 and thus will never work from DOS or Gamedos...)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geister said:

Oh great!  Somebody made a game about my house.  What's the play?  Try not to trip over all the old Atari stuff I have laying around? 

There's also a game variation, where you gather up all the old Atari stuff you have laying around and sell it on a virtual iBay, to see if you can become the next 8-bit retro-seller billionaire.

10 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Solution: Supercopy (or Super Copy):  http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-super-copy_15934.html

1) LOAD, 3) from .EXE file, D:Filename.EXT

2) SAVE, 1) as Boot Tape, REC+PLAY, burp, burp, RETURN

wait 10 minutes.

Done.

You can also convert the file into a bootdisk and vice-versa.

Note: Supercopy will only convert ML files with 1 data segment and 1 RUN adress; no Init adress allowed! max. filelength: 32KBytes;

(Boot Disk or Boot Tape to EXE File will always create a ML file with data segments $1F00-xxxx and RUN adress 1F3F; Supercopy can also be used to "relocate" files that use very low memory, e.g. loading from start adress $0700 and thus will never work from DOS or Gamedos...)

The .COM file is a monolithic one (one DATA segment, one RUN segment), so conversion to a boot tape shouldn't be a problem.

DATA 08192-15270 [2000-3BA6]
RUN  00736-00737 [02E0-02E1] R:08192 [2000]

GH16K.cas

Edited by baktra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 1:45 AM, cjherr said:

Any chance of a 5200 conversion?

-Chris

The 5200 was not sold very often in Germany. I don't think it was officially available here, and there is no PAL version of this device. Unfortunately I don't know the programming of the 5200 at all. For these reasons I will not be able to do a port for this Atari. 

But if there is someone who wants to do this, I will gladly provide him with my source code. This is documented very detailed, but only in german language.

3 hours ago, olix said:

The 5200 was not sold very often in Germany. I don't think it was officially available here, and there is no PAL version of this device. Unfortunately I don't know the programming of the 5200 at all. For these reasons I will not be able to do a port for this Atari. 

But if there is someone who wants to do this, I will gladly provide him with my source code. This is documented very detailed, but only in german language.

@olix, With the following document, you can assess if you would be willing to do so. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20120830055323/http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/conv_to_5200.html

With a cross-assembler and emulator, it might be doable. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, olix said:

Thanks for the response. Luckily, I have both, so I am already enjoying your port on my 8-bit. It's an excellent addition to the library.

@olix, if you decide not to do the port to 5200 yourself, I would be willing to try.

This is how it can be done.

1. We need to ascertain that the current game works on NTSC 8-bit Atari. If not, the conversion cannot be done.

2. I take the source code and keep it confidential

3. I assess the source code to see if the conversion is viable. If not, I report that and destroy my copy of the source code.

4. I work on the conversion

5. When the conversion is done, I publish a beta nn binaries, so that the game can be tested with real hardware (I do not have 5200 either)

6. Rinse and Repeat #5, until the game works

7. I pass the source code back to you and the final binaries can be published

• Like 6

@baktra That sounds good! I'm still working on the documentation of the source code at the moment and I'm still transferring the source code for use in MADS Assembler. This will probably take another week or two. Then I'll get back to you here and we can do it as you suggested.

Edited by olix