IGNORED

A8PicoCart - UnoCart on a Raspberry Pi Pico

20 hours ago, mytek said:

Just curious about one thing... why do all these different iterations of the .uf2 file bear the same exact name? Shouldn't there have been a version number included as part of the file name? Be pretty easy to get things mixed up when using the same name.

I use the same one out of habit, I do a lot of tests when I want to implement a cartridge then I forget to rename it when I share it.

But the solution is easy once you download the file rename it.but the solution is easy read the thread 😉

11 hours ago, mytek said:

That last uploaded uf2 version by @ascrnet appears to be working fine on my system. All the special navigation keys implemented by @manterola and the H.E.R.O. car file all work for me.

thanks for the feedback, let's wait for the tests from colleague @manterola 

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

... and if he was successful, re-upload the working file as a8_pico_cart_workswell_i_swear.uf2

;)

yes, I was thinking that with the number of iterations we have had we should have ended up with a name like a8picocart_final(with_tkii_support)_finalfinal_2_3rdtry_thisshould work_damnit_anotherone.uf2

By the way, the latest uf2 posted by @ascrnet worked with the Ultimate 1MB computer. So, we can confirm that there was something off in the ascrnet Visual Studio Code environment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manterola said:

yes, I was thinking that with the number of iterations we have had we should have ended up with a name like a8picocart_final(with_tkii_support)_finalfinal_2_3rdtry_thisshould work_damnit_anotherone.uf2.

The important thing is that it works. Now I uploaded the change to the repository so it won't get lost again. 😆

image.png.f551158399bee7cab53b995e6cf1aaaa.png

1 hour ago, manterola said:

By the way, the latest uf2 posted by @ascrnet worked with the Ultimate 1MB computer. So, we can confirm that there was something off in the ascrnet Visual Studio Code environment.

IT stuff, case closed. 😆

• Like 2

What about this? (it was discussed earlier)

It is:

B=Back X=Boot Esc=Find

It would be better:

Esc=Back X=Boot F=Find

And one more suggestion for improvement:
joy left=back
Such an addition would allow you to operate the menu with just the joystick.

Sorry for the belated request, but since you're changing things related to the keys in the menu, it might be easy for you to do on this occasion.

(If you think these are good ideas, of course.)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mq. said:

What about this? (it was discussed earlier)

It is:

B=Back X=Boot Esc=Find

It would be better:

Esc=Back X=Boot F=Find

And one more suggestion for improvement:
joy left=back
Such an addition would allow you to operate the menu with just the joystick.

Sorry for the belated request, but since you're changing things related to the keys in the menu, it might be easy for you to do on this occasion.

Yes I would love to see this as well 👍

It also makes it more closely follow the standard set forth by SDrive (all iterations), The SIDE Loaders, and the U1MB, especially concerning the Escape and the Search functions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2024 at 5:26 PM, Mq. said:

No problem, I always take into account any ideas or problems that people mention. 😉

19 hours ago, mytek said:

It also makes it more closely follow the standard set forth by SDrive (all iterations), The SIDE Loaders, and the U1MB, especially concerning the Escape and the Search functions.

Understood 😉

A small change for the menu actions :

Joy left/Joy2b button 2/Esc=Back B=Boot F=Find

A8PICOCART.ROM

Instructions for use you must use the latest firmware released and add this file to the root to test before integrating everything. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ascrnet said:

No problem, I always take into account any ideas or problems that people mention. 😉

Understood 😉

A8PICOCART.ROM 8 kB · 1 download

Instructions for use you must use the latest firmware released and add this file to the root to test before integrating everything. 😉

I hope that the "/" for search (that I silently implemented) is still in place....🤐

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ascrnet said:

A8PICOCART.ROM 8 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you! I tested it, and for the moment everything works fine. I didn't notice any problems.

Tested on Atari 65XE with 1MB RAM (SIMMexp).

Will every this changes be included to the official release? Will appear a new official release of pico firmware on the project website when you finish every small changes requested by users/testers? Or there will be a lot of forks forever? :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mq. said:
16 hours ago, ascrnet said:

A8PICOCART.ROM 8 kB · 3 downloads

Expand  

Thank you! I tested it, and for the moment everything works fine. I didn't notice any problems.

Works good over here as well 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, manterola said:

I hope that the "/" for search (that I silently implemented) is still in place....🤐

It's still there, I just removed the Backspace, but if you don't believe me, do your test. 😇

7 hours ago, Mq. said:

Will every this changes be included to the official release? Will appear a new official release of pico firmware on the project website when you finish every small changes requested by users/testers? Or there will be a lot of forks forever? :)

Thanks for the feedback. 👍

All changes are sent to my fork and from there to the official repository. But it is not my decision what to accept and what not, what is known that the colleague @electrotrains has not had much free time to review.

37 minutes ago, mytek said:

Works good over here as well 👍

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@electrotrains  just new to the party, great project love your work. so I  got my boards from PCBway and purple pico from Ali express. So in the assembly process now. 

But I tried to send you a donation via PayPal via your link on Github but I get an error saying "Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country" is this a setting in my Paypal ? or at your end ? 

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.17.51 AM.png

Edited by TheSPY
fixing a typo

On 10/8/2023 at 10:54 PM, Bratwurst said:

PCB-bevel.jpg.0d5a2a595ff8fd8092920895fa

As a general advisement to those who might not know: Bevel your card edges for your PCB to reduce wear and tear on your cartridge port, especially considering this is something you'll be apt to pull and insert several times to load different software via the USB port. The ideal time to do this would be before you solder anything to the board but you can probably ground a steel handfile to mitigate ESD.

I ordered my boards from the shared project on PCBway with then and selected this option. 
"Bevelling : Yes (45°)HASL with lead"  So do I still need to do additional bevelling to the card edge ?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, bfollowell said:

I had a similar problem a few times. Well, not the exact same problem I guess, as mine would occasionally boot into basic. It was only before I installed it in a case though, as the problem was that there was a little play between the PCB and the cartridge slot of the machine I was testing it out on. If it wasn't lined up just perfectly, the machine would boot and not even see that cartridge as there. I'd have to move it and line it just right, then reinstall it. I've had no issues whatsoever since installing it in a case.

I seem to have the opposite issue, the cart works perfectly when I use it without the case, but as soon as put it in a case it becomes temperament. I have built 2 and they both do the same thing. work perfectly without the case. But must not be aligning correctly once screwed into a case.  Any ideas on how to ensure correct alignment every time ?

21 hours ago, TheSPY said:

I ordered my boards from the shared project on PCBway with then and selected this option. 
"Bevelling : Yes (45°)HASL with lead"  So do I still need to do additional bevelling to the card edge ?

Probably won't have to do any further modification, this earlier PSA was for the runs of the board that came with no bevelling at all.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dopeyman06 said:

What are they for?

Is it necessary?

You must read the thread to know the improvements, if you are not interested stay with the official firmware. 😉

9 hours ago, w1k said:

I again tested running original ROM files which needs triggers button to activate, doesnt work 😕

Read the thread, it was explained above. 😉

• Haha 1