IGNORED

A8PicoCart - UnoCart on a Raspberry Pi Pico

On 8/2/2024 at 4:33 PM, manterola said:

I think the issue is that I modified the keytable.bin file which is called by the asm file. I am uploading the new keytable.bin.

thank you, I did indeed have several different bytes. 😉

it's your turn @mytekI attach a ROM that you must place it in the root to run the firmware 2024 this to test quickly.

A8PICOCART.ROM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

thank you, I did indeed have several different bytes. 😉

it's your turn @mytekI attach a ROM that you must place it in the root to run the firmware 2024 this to test quickly.

A8PICOCART.ROM 8 kB · 1 download

👍 Every key works as it should, we have full PS/2 keyboard navigation.

Thank you @manterola and @ascrnet  :)

Question: do I have to leave the A8PICOCART.ROM in the root from this point forward ?  Or has it patched the firmware and is no longer required ?

42 minutes ago, mytek said:

👍 Every key works as it should, we have full PS/2 keyboard navigation.

Thank you @manterola and @ascrnet  :)

Question: do I have to leave the A8PICOCART.ROM in the root from this point forward ?  Or has it patched the firmware and is no longer required ?

I needed your confirmation to add this to the final firmware, that's why I enabled some time ago this option that can update only the menu quickly just leaving this file in the root.

Now I need your confirmation to save the complete firmware to send the changes to the repository 😉

a8_pico_cart.uf2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

I needed your confirmation to add this to the final firmware, that's why I enabled some time ago this option that can update only the menu quickly just leaving this file in the root.

Now I need your confirmation to save the complete firmware to send the changes to the repository 😉

a8_pico_cart.uf2 188.5 kB · 1 download

I goofed on the first part, because I needed to first put your last version uf2 file in place of the one I got from manterola. So I deleted the ROM from the root directory and put in your uf2 (not the one from this post), and first tried it without the ROM, Still got no XL Function key commands. Then I put the ROM file in the root directory and rebooted, no change. So just for grins I'll try this latest uf2 fie and see what happens.

EDIT: Just tried the very last uf2 that you uploaded and still no dice on the XL function key navigation.

Hi,

I just saw that the Pico 2 has been launched (with an upgraded spec), see:

https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-pico/raspberry-pi-pico-2-launches-with-arm-risc-v-cores-hands-on-with-the-new-dollar5-microcontroller

Hopefully there will be 16MB Purple Pico 2 clones with all the GPIO pins exposed available soon enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I just saw that the Pico 2 has been launched (with an upgraded spec), see:

https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-pico/raspberry-pi-pico-2-launches-with-arm-risc-v-cores-hands-on-with-the-new-dollar5-microcontroller

Hopefully there will be 16MB Purple Pico 2 clones with all the GPIO pins exposed available soon enough.

Another thing I just noticed is that the GPIOs are 5V tolerant per the official spec. Also, 12 state machines (upgraded from 8).

• Like 3

Hi @ScreamingAtTheRadio,

It's using the Cortex-M33, which is actually better than the Cortex-M4 used in the UnoCart. Either way, it has an FPU and SIMD/DSP instructions, which puts it ahead of the original Pico.

See this comparison between M4 and M33:

https://community.arm.com/support-forums/f/architectures-and-processors-forum/8338/what-is-the-top-level-difference-in-features-between-cortex-m33-and-cortex-m4

Probably I should tag @electrotrains and @flashjazzcat for the firmware, @woj for his SIO project, and @mozzwald for the 2600 FujiNet project (apologies to anyone I have missed).

Edited by E474
Added @woj for his SIO project
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 7:51 PM, manterola said:

Probably my fault. I will try recompiling and actually rechecking my work. 

Just curious if you were able to find the time to do this ?

1 hour ago, manterola said:

I will burn the latest ef2 and try the ROM and report back.

I did download the latest uf2 file uploaded to this topic and I had problems (no matter the ROM I left (or not) in the root directory). I tried some games, and I got graphical glitches. Very easy to notice in H.E.R.O., but after playing for a while I found glitches in Abracadabra! as well.

I went back to older uf2 files and the glitches are gone. I am going to stay in older firmware, for now.

ps: I tested in Atari 600XL with U1M with U1M set to stock XL OS, and extended memory disabled.

Edited by manterola

Apologies  if this is in this thread somewhere.  I am after the stl print files for this a8pico cart, where the usb c slot hole is in the lower part of the casing, and not the side.

I'd downloaded and printed a casing,  only to fine the stl files I had were for one with a side hole. 

Jimage.thumb.png.3aa324c5a90e53e201936ef762bfd83d.png

Thanks in advance. 

24 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Apologies  if this is in this thread somewhere.  I am after the stl print files for this a8pico cart, where the usb c slot hole is in the lower part of the casing, and not the side.

[...]

Thanks in advance. 

https://github.com/robinhedwards/A8PicoCart/blob/main/cartridge shell 3d print files/a8pico_back_v2.stl

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ascrnet said:

There were several differences now I see the changes for TKII, So buddy @mytek it's your turn to try. 😉

No problem I will gladly give this a test when I get to my shop this afternoon 👍

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Attached is the ROM to be sure everything works it has today's date on the screen.

A8PICOCART.ROM 8 kB · 2 downloads

OK I tested this with the older .uf2 firmware you uploaded a while back, and if the above ROM file is in the root directory all PS2 navigation keys work as they should 👍

And every time I would delete the ROM file from the root directory I would lose all but the basic arrow key nav.

So it looks like the PS/2 navigation keys are now working, but I am concerned about @manterola's comments...

On 8/26/2024 at 1:59 PM, manterola said:

I did download the latest uf2 file uploaded to this topic and I had problems (no matter the ROM I left (or not) in the root directory). I tried some games, and I got graphical glitches. Very easy to notice in H.E.R.O., but after playing for a while I found glitches in Abracadabra! as well.

I went back to older uf2 files and the glitches are gone. I am going to stay in older firmware, for now.

ps: I tested in Atari 600XL with U1M with U1M set to stock XL OS, and extended memory disabled.

Have these graphical glitches been addressed?

3 hours ago, mytek said:

OK I tested this with the older .uf2 firmware you uploaded a while back, and if the above ROM file is in the root directory all PS2 navigation keys work as they should 👍

And every time I would delete the ROM file from the root directory I would lose all but the basic arrow key nav.

thanks for the tests, now the next step a .uf2 with the updated menu. 😉

a8_pico_cart.uf2

3 hours ago, mytek said:

So it looks like the PS/2 navigation keys are now working, but I am concerned about @manterola's comments...

Have these graphical glitches been addressed?

I don't see any problems from my side, I don't have any extended ATARI. 😉

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

thanks for the tests, now the next step a .uf2 with the updated menu. 😉

a8_pico_cart.uf2 188.5 kB · 0 downloads

Works for me 👍

However I've only done a fairly quick functionality test. It will take others trying it as well to catch any possible bugs that crept in.

Thank You

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Works for me 👍

However I've only done a fairly quick functionality test. It will take others trying it as well to catch any possible bugs that crept in.

Thank You

For this reason a beta version is always posted in this thread. If there is any problem and I can solve it I will do it without hesitation because I like this cartridge very much. 😉

On my side I will keep checking if I can emulate a czech cartridge “MD DOS” that caught my attention.

• Like 2