IGNORED

Announcing: Harmony Enhancement Modules

batari

As some know, there are other developments in the 2600 realm - even other flashcarts, each with its own set of features and game support.

However, does anyone really need 3 or 4 flashcarts for one system? Wouldn't you rather have one that does just about everything instead?

And since a lot of you already have a Harmony cart, wouldn't you rather just expand the cartridge you already have to enhance its capabilities, and do so for much less than a new flashcart?

Perhaps you have seen my Concerto Enhancement Modules, which will expand the capabilities of your Concerto cartridge:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/314517-concerto-sd-card-multicart-ordering-info/?do=findComment&comment=5246990

As you can guess, I am also working on Harmony Enhancement Modules. These work in much the same way - they fit in between your Harmony cart and your console.

These modules feature the RP2040 ARM chip, which is the chip in the Rasperry Pi Pico. This is a new custom board rather than a Pi Pico attached to a board, and this allows me to optimize the I/O layout for better speed and efficiency, and to expand the flash memory to eight times that of a Pi Pico for a total of 16MB!

You can also get an optional second ARM chip on your HEM that will natively support the latest games coming out, such as Turbo, Elevator Action, Xevious, and more. That's right, the Harmony enhancement module can be had with TWO ARM chips.

The price is expected to be $20 for the basic RP2040-based Harmony Expansion module. It will work with the Harmony and the Harmony Encore! Additionally, once you load a game with your HEM the game can remain on the HEM itself! What this means is you can then power off and leave just the HEM plugged in your console and it will be able to play that single game. No need to navigate any menus again to play the same game. The HEM will also continue to work without the Harmony cart plugged in at all, and will play that single game. This is also great if you are developing for the Piccolo board, which is a Melody-like board based on the RP2040 for cartridge releases.

HEM is not available yet, but expect it this year!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, batari said:

As some know, there are other developments in the 2600 realm - even other flashcarts, each with its own set of features and game support.

However, does anyone really need 3 or 4 flashcarts for one system? Wouldn't you rather have one that does just about everything instead?

And since a lot of you already have a Harmony cart, wouldn't you rather just expand the cartridge you already have to enhance its capabilities, and do so for much less than a new flashcart?

Perhaps you have seen my Concerto Enhancement Modules, which will expand the capabilities of your Concerto cartridge:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/314517-concerto-sd-card-multicart-ordering-info/?do=findComment&comment=5246990

As you can guess, I am also working on Harmony Enhancement Modules. These work in much the same way - they fit in between your Harmony cart and your console.

These modules feature the RP2040 ARM chip, which is the chip in the Rasperry Pi Pico. This is a new custom board rather than a Pi Pico attached to a board, and this allows me to optimize the I/O layout for better speed and efficiency, and to expand the flash memory to eight times that of a Pi Pico for a total of 16MB!

You can also get an optional second ARM chip on your HEM that will natively support the latest games coming out, such as Turbo, Elevator Action, Xevious, and more. That's right, the Harmony enhancement module can be had with TWO ARM chips.

The price is expected to be $20 for the basic RP2040-based Harmony Expansion module. It will work with the Harmony and the Harmony Encore! Additionally, once you load a game with your HEM the game can remain on the HEM itself! What this means is you can then power off and leave just the HEM plugged in your console and it will be able to play that single game. No need to navigate any menus again to play the same game. The HEM will also continue to work without the Harmony cart plugged in at all, and will play that single game. This is also great if you are developing for the Piccolo board, which is a Melody-like board based on the RP2040 for cartridge releases.

HEM is not available yet, but expect it this year!

I am very excited about this.  Are the modules all going to be released around the same time or will they be spared out?

On 5/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, killersquirel said:

I am very excited about this.  Are the modules all going to be released around the same time or will they be spared out?

The CEM devices will be designed and released in order from simpler/cheaper to more advanced, so yes, they will be spread out. The HEM is being codesigned with the CEM #2 device because they will share some features, so that Concerto will also be compatible with many of the same games.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since some asked for more info, I thought I would post pictures of the latest prototype.

A picture of an assembled board. This one only shows the Pi Pico and 16MB flash chip. The 512k ARM chip (that can play the larger CDFJ ARM games like Elevator Action and Turbo) in the upper corner is not populated on this board.

IMG_5708.jpg.dc72890b691122bb0f1405f67c6b58b6.jpg

Even without a plastic casing, the HEM can easily plug into a Harmony cart as the board is its own cartridge guide.

IMG_5709.jpg.279fac2b3c667b643b4f6de2a4e9045d.jpg

Shown is the HEM+Harmony plugged into a 7800.

IMG_5710.jpg.39449ea9f8f3c64a4a445d4fb0084f2f.jpg

Some changes are being made to this board. I will try to make it shorter - its height is mostly due to the limitations imposed by its ability to fit into a modified 2600 shell.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, batari said:

Since some asked for more info, I thought I would post pictures of the latest prototype.

Looking good Fred, thanks for all the hard work!  I know people will enjoy getting to play Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade ROMs on a real 2600! :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Thanks :) there will be at least one more revision to this. Aside from making the board shorter, I wanted to add one more possible configuration. This board supports just the Pico, or the Pico+ARM, but I also want it to be capable of just having the ARM chip on its own. I need to change some things around to make that possible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually there will be an updated cart, but the original carts will still be available.

Here is a picture of the board that came in the other day, to show the size comparison. Some things needed changing so there is a new revision coming in a week or so.

IMG_5743.thumb.jpg.64095e0456d99bc1afc1117c66e5293d.jpg

• Like 8