IGNORED

Flashback legends FB8660B firmware v1.0.2

Hello,

I've bought Flashback legends FB8660B with firmware v1.0.2. I wanted to update the latest firmware but I was't careful and I have uploaded firmware V. 0.1.17 for FB8660 (without B at the end).
Now my FB8660B can't start some games. I know that it's my fault but is it possible to factory reset my device or is it possible to download somewhere my original v1.0.2 firmware?

Best regards

Teoburger.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just bought a new Flashback Legends on Amazon called Version 2022. It shows up with firmware Fb8660B v1.0.2

If someone can tell me how to back up the Firmware, I could send you my Version.

You tried to modify the Flashback for Community Project?

If there is someone who can help to patch the Firmware for 8660B, please help us out...

Hi everyone, just to add to your feedback, too, with some findings.

@Teoburger unless you try contacting AtGames support, saying that you flashed the wrong firmware... not sure how you can get a copy of v1.0.2 it's not available anywhere.

@atarimonster I think you may need to pry open the console and possibly do some electronics modifications to access some USB port and hook to Windows to read the firmware, like on other AtGames consoles (e.g. older Atari 2600 Anniversary Edition) but we have no information on what this FB8660B model is, what hardware, flash, storage... Not sure if this info is floating around 😕

For anyone reading or interested:

I was also given this "Flashback Legends 100 Games" as a gift back in May and the fact that is its model FB8660B prompts me to believe it's release 2022, as well.

Firmware on the screen says v1.0.2 and there is no update (not even a mention!) to date, on their official site: https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/

I suspect there is no bug-fix firmware available due to a) lackluster sales, low interest b) discontinued model, no internal support, or c) they won't update the firmware openly as someone may be able to open/hack it...

There is no hacked firmware available, anything else is not compatible.

A reminder, it appears this model and this firmware do support SD card games; this is my finding so far:

Inside a "Game" folder on the SD card root:
- Nintendo NES games with extension (.nes) and cover images (.nes.png) (.nes.s.png)
- Nintendo Super NES (SNES) games with extension (.fig) and cover images (.fig.png) (.fig.s.png)
- SEGA Master System (SMS) games with extension (.sms) and cover images (.sms.png) (.sms.s.png)
- SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive games with extension (.bin) and cover images (.bin.png) (.bin.s.png)

N.B. The firmware does not recognise sub-folders inside "Game" folder (in root) so all consoles are together in one place...

N.B. As others wrote, no space characters allowed in the filenames, use underscore _ characters if needed.

N.B. Despite Atari 2600 games (.a26) being displayed (seemingly recognised) in the "SD Card" menu, none would launch.

N.B. I have not tried launching SEGA (.bin + BIOS_CD_x) games, as I have none. @PeterPavol mentioned this in this tread but not sure what he tested.

N.B. For Genesis, I assume the BIOS files are also needed e.g. this mention above to BIOS_CD_x.BIN where x=Region

N.B. I did not manage to get x32 games appear in the SD Card menu of the console, not sure if they are "natively" supported.

I experimented on a different SD card (8GB) to the original (128MB!) where I copied (for safety reasons, too) the original SD.img file, where I kept adding games from each console above to see what is working.

P.S. For future reference:

Native SD.img file in SD root has size 43.347.968 bytes and a SHA1 checksum of 425590b3ca4e1a8959a316d9604d4d90d22ce066

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I made the same mistake and tried an update for the Flashback legends 2022,FB8660B,firmware v1.0.2. with the firmware 0.1.17 for the FB8660 without B installed

Now it stops when booting, unfortunately I don't have the old firmware v1.0.2 to get it running again and AT Games doesn't have a new firmware

(https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/)

I contacted AT Games Support but unfortunately didn't get an answer ...

Does anyone have this old firmware and can make it available for download here? 

Edited by Ezeyer
Typing error

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 3:55 PM, Konsti said:

I think you may need to pry open the console and possibly do some electronics modifications to access some USB port and hook to Windows to read the firmware, like on other AtGames consoles (e.g. older Atari 2600 Anniversary Edition) but we have no information on what this FB8660B model is, what hardware, flash, storage... Not sure if this info is floating around

Unfortunately, dumping FW on the Legends flashback does take disassembling the unit (remove the rubber pads over screws, remove the four screws, then remove the 4 screws for the main PCBA).  AND apparently some soldering would be required which is referenced here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/page-8

Then you can use tools like androidtool and rkdumper, or rkflashkit for Linux.  You still need to generate an update package though. 

atGames should really be able to provide the original Firmware, and it's a shame if they will not.  Then you could just apply it via the SD card update method.

@Teoburger  Have you tried loading a "legends ultimate" build to an SD and just see if it works?  The reason I suggest it is because when you boot that build from the SD most of the parts are coming striaght off the SD and so if you can start it up thatway, what's in your on-device flash won't matter too much.

Edited by rocketfan

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have my hands on the FB8660B firmware, which is v1.0.2 and it is the latest. Seems to date from October 2021 and no new firmware was released for the FB8660B since (nor for any other FB8660 variant, it seems).

Don't ask me how I got it, it's the real-deal; the idea is to share here and ask forum members like you @rocketfan or @atarimonster or @Flojomojo or even @TPR could perhaps know the ideal person to check what's inside, and perhaps add some nice stuff (incl. emulator support) that were found in the original FB8660 console?

There exist 2 flavours, one normal IMG file and one "PLL" version, not sure what could be the difference -- one perhaps to only use as USB update, the other for flashing the chipset on-board? In any case, the image files have the same size (184.791.512 bytes) but when comparing them visually, they report a 12.150 differences, e.g. via Total Commander compare feature.

I could have peeked inside and open them, but not sure what type of IMG it is about (need some unpacking tool, I assume, which I am not aware of).

Let me know if this is interesting and do contact me via PM, I'd be happy to share. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2023 at 6:11 PM, Konsti said:

Hello everyone, I have my hands on the FB8660B firmware, which is v1.0.2 and it is the latest. Seems to date from October 2021 and no new firmware was released for the FB8660B since (nor for any other FB8660 variant, it seems).

Don't ask me how I got it, it's the real-deal; the idea is to share here and ask forum members like you @rocketfan or @atarimonster or @Flojomojo or even @TPR could perhaps know the ideal person to check what's inside, and perhaps add some nice stuff (incl. emulator support) that were found in the original FB8660 console?

There exist 2 flavours, one normal IMG file and one "PLL" version, not sure what could be the difference -- one perhaps to only use as USB update, the other for flashing the chipset on-board? In any case, the image files have the same size (184.791.512 bytes) but when comparing them visually, they report a 12.150 differences, e.g. via Total Commander compare feature.

I could have peeked inside and open them, but not sure what type of IMG it is about (need some unpacking tool, I assume, which I am not aware of).

Let me know if this is interesting and do contact me via PM, I'd be happy to share. Thanks in advance.

Hi Konsti,

did you make any progress?

It would be great if there would be someone adding more features to model FB8660B and especially helping those people out who accidentally flashed a wrong firmware. 

Edited by N0mi

• 2 weeks later...