IGNORED

trying but failing at a simple 2gs reboot

newTIboyRob

Hi, just wondering if someone can guide me here. I am in BASIC and just finished a simple program on the 2GS. I want to do a full system reboot: Open Apple, Cntrl, then the key at upper left that looks like <.

I thought this was the procedure?

I tried this several ways... all keys simultaneously... did nothing... then I tried first open apple, then cntrl, and then the final key, as a one by one separate conglomerate, but still nothing ... I couldn't get a full system reboot.

Does that final key need to be simply pressed, or slid to the left as the arrow shows or a combo of those actions?

Is there some special trick or something I am missing here?   Just can't get the system to reboot.

Please advise, thanks!

Press Open Apple, Ctrl, <| (reset) all at the same time. Let go of reset only while holding OA-Ctrl. Once it starts to reboot, you can let go of OA-Ctrl.

I will say the IIgs seems to be a little trickier timing wise than my //c or IIe when it comes to this. Like you have to keep holding OA-Ctrl a second longer on the IIgs than the others. 

Edited by nick3092

Nick, thank you so much!  Worked like a charm, and yes, you are definitely right, this is WAY trickier timing wise than my //c and IIe as well for this procedure.

It really is:  press and hold Open Apple while holding down Cntrl at the same time, then add in the <|, keep holding all 3 keys down, wait a second or two, then keep holding down the <| then finally release the OA Cntrl combo then the <|

Wow.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

The Open Apple ( this is the same signal as PDL 0's Button ) and the Control are Modifiers, ( like the Shift Key )..   By themselves, they don't do anything, until another key is pressed..   

The Original Apple ][s, pressing and releasing the RESET would RESET the Computer..   Being this caused a few Issues, the Apple ][ was then modified to require the Control to be held Down when pressing and releasing  the RESET, to RESET the Computer.   The Apple ][e added the Open Apple and Close Apple, and when Holding one of them down, while the Control was held down and pressing and releasing the RESET, would get a Reboot, ( Open Apple ) or Self Diagnostics ( Closed Apple ).     Also, if there is no keyboard attached to the Apple ][e, the computer goes into an Endless Self Test...

MarkO