IGNORED

Am I "losing" pictures here in the posts ?

Schmitzi

Question

10 answers to this question

Looking at the HTML source for the post, it looks like the link to the image is no longer valid.  I've given you permission to edit the post if you want to try adding the image again.  I haven't seen this particular behavior before, so hopefully it's just a one-off glitch

I assume you attached an image and it was showing normally before?

Edit: Image was hosted on Facebook and is no longer at that particular URL, so the post may have been removed or permissions changed.

..Al

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, Schmitzi said:

Hi, not the first time I see it, means do not see it....

Do you see the pic in this post? If I "edit" the post, there is also no more pic....

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/276324-post-a-random-pic-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5262921

I see from the URL of the missing photo that you were linking from someplace else. It's best if you copy the file locally and upload it directly to the message board yourself. Albert has assured us that he has plenty of storage and doesn't mind. 

When you post a link to someone else's image, sometimes they get upset that you're "stealing" bandwidth and I've even seen people change the target image to something rude to prevent people from doing it in the future. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I see from the URL of the missing photo that you were linking from someplace else. It's best if you copy the file locally and upload it directly to the message board yourself. Albert has assured us that he has plenty of storage and doesn't mind. 

When you post a link to someone else's image, sometimes they get upset that you're "stealing" bandwidth and I've even seen people change the target image to something rude to prevent people from doing it in the future. 

You're right, at first I thought it was the CDN used by the forum, but looking at it more closely, it was hosted on Facebook (fbcdn.net is Facebook).  Could be the original post was deleted or permissions were changed on the post or group/profile it was posted in.  In an instance like this, it's definitely better to save the image and then attach it directly to the post instead of linking to it off site. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

9 hours ago, Albert said:

You're right, at first I thought it was the CDN used by the forum, but looking at it more closely, it was hosted on Facebook (fbcdn.net is Facebook).  Could be the original post was deleted or permissions were changed on the post or group/profile it was posted in.  In an instance like this, it's definitely better to save the image and then attach it directly to the post instead of linking to it off site. 

..Al

ah OK, thanks a lot :thumbsup:

The strange thing is (or was), that when I post (especially to this topic), I always directly insert (upload or CTRL-V) a JPEG, no link, knowing that links are volatile... But maybe this time I posted a link here...

I saw this behave more than once... will observe.

thx

On 6/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, Albert said:

Pasting or dragging a photo into the editor does upload it. 

It's easy to copy a link instead of the image and pasting either one will show the image. 

I recommend changing the auto-insert from link functionality to prevent more broken image links. I'd even consider going so far as to pop up a warning.