IGNORED

Can you use two 2732A EPROMs and replace the two 4KB ROMs in a socketed BASIC rev A brown cartridge?

ACML

Possibly access time?

I remember a magazine article on Ram upgrades that noted requirement of 250ns or lower - that equates to just under half a machine cycle.

Though ROM is a bit different in that it gets the CS and address rather than Row/Column during fractions of a cycle so maybe it'll be OK.

39 minutes ago, ACML said:

I looking at using two 300ns 2732A EPROMS to replace the two 4KB Rev A ROM chips with Rev C Burned on the EPROMS.  Any reason why this would not work?

I would think you'll need to modify the board to accept eproms which usually have different pin out than masked roms. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cx2k said:

I would think you'll need to modify the board to accept eproms which usually have different pin out than masked roms. 

This is what I was afraid of.  The 24 pin package and 8KB is not as straight forward as the 28 pin package.  I'm asking as by now if it were compatible, I would have read about it by now.  An easy way to upgrade a Rev A to Rev C BASIC.  To date, I've never heard anyone try it.  This might be the reason.

Edited by ACML

35 minutes ago, ACML said:

This is what I was afraid of.  The 24 pin package and 8KB is not as straight forward as the 28 pin package.  I'm asking as by now if it were compatible, I would have read about it by now.  An easy way to upgrade a Rev A to Rev C BASIC.  To date, I've never heard anyone try it.  This might be the reason.

Best Electronics lists the Rev C Basic cart on their website for $20.

An for those that may not be aware, there is a modern CMOS EEPROM that is available to replace the former windowed UV eraseable 2764, which is still in current production and sold by the likes of Digi-Key and Mouser (P/N: AT28C64B-PU15)

AT28C64B Pin-out compared to original 2764

image.png.598561b7595d020d082d45b7dbc3398f.pngimage.png.7c0214a2f143faec744f55ee47b1192b.png

So long as pin 27 is tied to +5V it should work.

I've used these with great success on a couple of retro computer and console projects, with the benefit of being able to re-flash them without needing a UV light source, and having much lower power requirements due to the CMOS technology. The TL866II Plus programmer supports these newer chips.

• Like 2