IGNORED

ICD release of Happy 1050 Archiver

ijor

This very rare release was recently sold on Ebay. If somebody here is the happy buyer, please consider making and sharing a flux level dump of the disk.

I honestly didn't even know that ICD released the Archiver for the Happy 1050. I know the Spartan release for the Happy 810, and the later release by CSS, marketed as Scan-It, for the Happy 1050.

• Like 4

Unfortunately I've tried this before and it has (up until now) never worked. :(  If one of us archivist don't win an auction, it is never heard of again (until another copy comes along.) But it's still always worth trying.

11 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I'm hopeful. It's such an obscure item, I would think that it was either purchased by an Atari collector or a flipper.  Seems like there's a good chance either would be a member of Atariage.

Any chance of dropping the seller a message and asking him to pass along a message to the buyer? I've done this before.

The 1050 Happy Archiver is so useful.  There aren't very many copy protected disks to back up anymore, but this is still my go-to piece of copy software.  I still love the track-by-track display of the sectors and status.  And even the sound effects are great.  I got the original 810 Happy Archiver about 1984 from Spartan, and it took care of those disks that the Happy couldn't touch.  My 1050 HA manual looks like that pictured, but my disks came from B&C (who say that they purchased the rights to the Archiver programs).  One bad thing is that one of my two original 1050 disks went bad almost immediately, but that problem was ultimately solved when I found a broken copy. 

Good idea to archive that photo.  Are there photo's of the various Archiver disks out there?  I have an original Archiver disk that has a nicely printed label with the Spartan Software logo on it.  It looks like they simplified the labels later on.

archiver_disk.thumb.jpeg.0916a72fedcbd0ce9b3c132732b435d2.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

but my disks came from B&C (who say that they purchased the rights to the Archiver programs)

It would be interesting if somebody knows the whole story about that. B&C purchased the Archiver rights from whom? Because the Archiver software they were (are) selling are the newer CSS versions, not the older ICD versions. So CSS got the rights from ICD, then they sold then them to B&C???

31 minutes ago, tep392 said:

It looks like they simplified the labels later on.

Or it is NOT an original disk, or may be it is an original disk but not the original label.

Edited by ijor

1 hour ago, ijor said:

It would be interesting if somebody knows the whole story about that. B&C purchased the Archiver rights from whom? Because the Archiver software they were (are) selling are the newer CSS versions, not the older ICD versions. So CSS got the rights from ICD, then they sold then them to B&C???

Or it is NOT an original disk, or may be it is an original disk but not the original label.

My guess is that this is an original label.  It looks like the adhesive is showing thru the label, indicating it is old.  If it was produced by B&C, I think Bruce would have included his company on the label. Would a pirate have typed up a label with ICD copyright notice?

On 6/8/2023 at 4:41 PM, Larry said:

Have the podcast folks interviewed Bruce of B&C?  If not, might be a good interview and opportunity to get answers.

I remember listening to this years ago.  I don't recall if he talked about the ICD or CSS.  They also interviewed Bradley Koda around the same time period.  It was interesting to hear about how they started up these businesses.
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-8-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-bruce-carso-bc-computervisions

• Thanks 1