IGNORED

Uh-Oh... my Basketbrawlz have Basketbroke

Cousin Vinnie

Both of my copies of Basketbrawl and my 30th anniversary edition multicart of Basketbrawl have all stopped working at the same time. When you win or lose a game, the screen goes black and crashes. This makes me think these carts are starting to fail now. Or could it be that my 7800 doesn't like Basketbrawl anymore?

What do you smart guys think (Crossbow)?

Funk 

Given that it is 2 different types of cart of the same game I would guess it is some kind of RAM issue with the console maybe. Do you have a concerto/dragonfly/etc that you could test it with to see if it hangs up on that too? Just sounds funky that 3 carts without battery backup would all go bad at the same time. I haven’t owned a 7800 that long but I have played and collected 2600 and NES games much longer and I don’t think I have ever personally seen a single “dead” 2600 cart and the only dead NES carts I have ever seen where like that when I got ahold of them so who knows what physical/mechanical damage may have been done to them.

I know a guy whose younger sister chucked his game boy in a bucket of water when we were both like 6 years old and left it in there overnight without telling him, during which time it froze (not sure if it froze solid or if there was just an ice layer on top, I would bet the latter but he doesn’t remember given that he was like 6). After fishing it out of the briny deep and some help from his uncle drying it off thoroughly it worked fine several hour after its rediscovery. I’m actually pretty sure that game boy still works. 

Some stuff really is just made of nintendium.

In other strange 7800 news, I left my 7800 paused on a game of Dragon’s Havoc today, powered off the screen out of habit since I am used to led/lcd displays so much and made/ate dinner. I came back and powered up my pvm and black screen with no sound. I think my monitor is dead, freak out, check the cables, and then give up and power cycle the 7800 when nothing else does anything. System comes on and runs fine. I try pausing, game seems to pause fine. Is there a known issue when a 7800 is left paused for longer than a few minutes? I could swear that I have left mine paused overnight before and come back to it and unpaused with no problems.

6 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

In other strange 7800 news, I left my 7800 paused on a game of Dragon’s Havoc today, powered off the screen out of habit since I am used to led/lcd displays so much and made/ate dinner. I came back and powered up my pvm and black screen with no sound.

Per the system manual:

image.png.987471121f0e3a558f14d259755aa310.png

If the console receives no input for a long period of time, the effect of the above is what you experienced.

The system has no way of knowing your PVM was turned off, so in order to ensure no "burn in", it stops and blanks the screen accordingly.

Something similar occurs with the 2600 as well, though I believe it often cycles colors instead of, or in addition to, blanking.