IGNORED

Looking for info on Atari ST/TT computers?

Draugr

Hi,

I am a classic computer and video game collector. I have numerous systems including the Commodore 64 and 128. The Commodore computers were the ones I grew up with in the 80s. Sadly, I NEVER had an Atari 8-Bit computer until 1995 or so when a friend sold me his 130XE. What a GREAT computer. :) Anyhow, I am looking to enhance my classic system collection and the two computers I'm looking to obtain are the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST/TT PCs. I wanted to ask if anyone here could answer a few questions on the Atari ST/TT computers. Any information is appreciated.

1. If I was interested in an Atari ST/TT computer that would be able to play all the games made for it which system do I look to buy? I don't know anything about the various models of the ST/TT computer. I'd like one with enough RAM and graphics/sound capability to play all the games made for that computer.

2. What peripherals were there for those computers? Hard Drives, Floppies, etc.... Which should I look to get?

3. Like the Amiga's the ST seamed to come in the Atari 130XE all in one unit and then there seemed to be systems that came in a typical desktop case and had an external keyboard like modern PCs. Which is the best to get? I'd prefer a system that had the desktop style case with maybe a hard disk and floppy built into the case like regular PCs.

4. What monitors are there and which is recommended for the ST/TT that will work best with games?

Well, sorry for soo many questions, I'm jsut trying to obtain as much info on the system as I can so I can make an informed decision when I'm ready to buy one.

Thanks

John

1. If I was interested in an Atari ST/TT computer that would be able to play all the games made for it which system do I look to buy? I don't know anything about the various models of the ST/TT computer. I'd like one with enough RAM and graphics/sound capability to play all the games made for that computer.

The best computer, which you can play all ST-Games is the 1040 STE. It has the best sound of the "old" ST-Computers and the RAM can easily be upgraded (max. 4 MB). The Falcon 030 is the best TOS-Computer, that Atari made - but it's not ever compatible to the old ST-Line. And the TT is a real office station :)

2. What peripherals were there for those computers? Hard Drives, Floppies, etc.... Which should I look to get?

First, take a second disk drive, the SF314 :) It has 720 KB capacity. Then you should look for a hard disk drive - there you should take a SH204, cause you can replace the HDD and the SCSI-ACSI-Converter by a SCSI-Hard Disk (max. 1 GB)

3. Like the Amiga's the ST seamed to come in the Atari 130XE all in one unit and then there seemed to be systems that came in a typical desktop case and had an external keyboard like modern PCs. Which is the best to get? I'd prefer a system that had the desktop style case with maybe a hard disk and floppy built into the case like regular PCs.

The desktop-style computers Atari made were the Mega ST and the Mega STE (last one is not recommended, if you often playing games - it works with 16 MHz and a cache, so the old hardware-near-programmed software will not work on this one) - But you can also put the All-in-one-unit-ST's in special Desktop-cases (like the Lighthouse-Towers from the german distributor Digital Data Deicke, today known as Pentagon GmbH)

4. What monitors are there and which is recommended for the ST/TT that will work best with games?

Well, on a ST-Computer you ever have three options for monitors:

1. You can get the monochrome monitors (SM124/125/144/146), they're most recommended for office, DTP, Music, and a few games. The monochrome monitors only work with 640*400

2. If you're a gamer, you should get a color monitor (SC1224/1425/1426/1435), they're recommended for the most ST-Games. The color monitors work with 320*200 (16 colors) and 640*200 (4 colors) resolutions. Also (if you have a ST with HF-modulator) you can get a HF-Cable (Cinch-Koax) and plug the ST to a TV - but the monitors have a better picture :)

Or 3rd you can get a Multisync-Monitor - they work with all resolutions.

PS: If there are grammatical mistakes in my answer - sorry for this, but my English is not very good ;)

Mike

In brief, here are the models:

520ST: 512K RAM, TOS version 1.00 or 1.02. Resolutions of 320x200 (low res, 16-colours from a pallette of 256), 640x200 (4 colours) or 640x400 (monochrome, required monochrome monitor). 4 channel mono sound. 8MHz 68000. Built-in MIDI ports -- popular with musicians.

520STF: Same as 520ST with internal RF modulator.

520STFM: Same as 520STF with internal 3.5" disk drive. Some models also game with 1MB RAM.

1040ST/STF/STFM: Same sequence as the 520 series with 1MB RAM and TOS version 1.02 or 1.04.

Mega ST 1/2/4: Desktop model with detatchable keyboard and 1, 2 or 4 megs of RAM. TOS version 1.04 (a.k.a. "Rainbow TOS"). Blitter chip (faster graphics) Internal 3.5" disk drive.

1040STE: Enhanced version of the 1040STFM. Enhanced colour pallete (4096 colours, up from 256), stereo sound (up from mono), hardware sprites, upgradable to 4 megs of RAM through SIMMs (as opposed to DRAM) and some other enhancements, as well as TOS version 1.60 (with the DESKTOP.INF bug) or 1.62 (bug fixed).

Mega STE 2/4: Like the Mega ST, but with all of the STE enhanements and in an Atari TT case, with a switchable 8/16MHz 68000, and with 2 or 4 megs of RAM. Also had the option for an internal IDE hard disk.

TT030: Atari's high-end machine, with high resolutions and some other enhancements, including TOS 3 ("TT TOS") and an internal IDE hard disk.

Falcon030: Atari's last commercial computer. Fitted into a recoloured (charcoal) 1040ST case, it was technically superior to the TT, featuring a 32MHz 68030, Motorola 56001 DSP, internal IDE hard disk, TOS 4 ("MultiTOS" with multitasking capabilities), 32-bit colour with programmable resolutions, unlimited stereo sound channels, and loads more. Definitely a gamer's dream machine, but unfortunately never got the support it deserved and Atari's focus on the Jaguar and subsequent demise relegated this one to a niche machine.

Portables:

STacy 1/2/4: Basically a portable ("luggable" -- it was heavy!) 1040ST or Mega ST with a monochrome LCD monitor and 1, 2 or 4 megs RAM.

ST-Book: I don't recall if this was released or not, but I think it was. Basically a retuned STacy, being much lighter and more portable, conforming more to the "notebook" ideal.

520ST: 512K RAM, TOS version 1.00 or 1.02. Resolutions of 320x200 (low res, 16-colours from a pallette of 256)...

the ST (excl. STE) all have a pallette of 512 colours ;)

520STF: Same as 520ST with internal RF modulator.

F = Built-in Floppy Disk Drive

M = Built-in RF-Modulator

Also you've forgotten the 520 ST+ = 520 ST with 1 MB RAM :) and the 260 ST = same as 520 ST

1040ST/STF/STFM: Same sequence as the 520 series with 1MB RAM and TOS version 1.02 or 1.04.

and built-in FDD drives ;)

Mega STE 2/4: (...)Also had the option for an internal IDE hard disk.

No IDE, SCSI were built in

TT030: Atari's high-end machine, with high resolutions and some other enhancements, including TOS 3 ("TT TOS") and an internal IDE hard disk.

also SCSI, not IDE

Falcon030: ...featuring a 32MHz 68030...

The Falcon only have 16 MHz, but it's upgradable until 66 Mhz (with the CT60, including a Motorola 68060)

The very rare ST BOOK Notebook (Motorola 68000/8MHz, 1-4 MB RAM, TOS 2.06, no FDD, but internal 2.5"-IDE-HDD) - only 1000 units were built, all delivered to Europe in 1991/92.

Mike

The pre-STE models were upgradable to 4mb but generally required knowledge of electronics in the same manner as RAM upgrade hacks were done in the 8-bit days.

The 1040STFM is not technically superior to the STE, since the STE came out later. To compare the two:

1040STFM      1040STE

Colour Pallette:       512              4096

Audio                     Mono            Stereo

Memory                 1-4MB DRAM 1-4MB SIMM

TOS version           1.00 or 1.02 1.60 or 1.62

Blitter?                   No.                Yes.

Hardware Sprites?   No.                Yes.

Hardware Scroll?     No.                Yes.

There weren't many games that took advantage of the STE. NARC was probably the most notable for having STE support (enhanced colour and stereo sound), and there were a few STE-only games that made the rounds (Pinball Fantasies and Stardust being two of the most popular). There was also a Doom-style STE-only game whose name escapes me at the moment that was also pretty good.

Oh, and thanks for the corrections Atarianer2003. It was early (for me on a Saturday, anyway :-) and my head hadn't cleared enough to get it straight. :-)

As far i know, the STE has no hardware sprites.

The FM ins STFM stands for Floppydrive Modulator, wich where built in the STFM. That doesn't make it superior to the STE wich has them built in too.

The STE only has Stereo sound when the STE sound (DMA sound) is used wich was basicly only good for playing samples. Mod/quartet tunes still chunk up a big deal of cpu time.

I think you mean "substation" with the doom like game for the STE?

I think pinball fantasies should be pinball obsessions??

A lot of Thalion/Eclipse games support the STE.

thanks for the info :)

also i was wondering what if any difference there is between the STE and the mega STE hardware wise? both seem to be pretty rare as I mostly see ST 520 and ST 1020 for sell on auction sites.. I like the mega STE case design and the fact it has a detached keyboard and would really like to get the enhanced versions of the ST..also are there any accellarators availabe for the ST line (other then the falcon i been reading up on)

thanks for the info :)

The Mega STE has an 8Mhz and a 16Mhz mode.. so in theory it is about twice as fast then the normal STE.. It has an VME expansion bus i think.. hmm space for internal harddrive. Other than that there's not much differents.

And yeah for all ranges of ST's are accelerators.. but i don't know all the names and types. Most are kinda hard to install. No plug and pray on those machine i am afraid.

So is a Mega STE capable of playing all the ST games and does it beat a 1040 STE?

I'd like to get an Atari ST based machine, but would prefer to know which is the best one to look for. If I get one I'd probably like to get the best system that can play all the games and have the best sound and video.

Thanks

John

Hi,

The Mega STE is ST-based, but has many problems with old software - I own a Mega STE, and 50% of the programs I have (around 400 3.5"-Discs) has problems or doesn't work.

The problem himself is the TOS-upgrade from 1.60/1.62 (520 STE/1040 STE) to 2.05/2.06 (Mega STE, ST-BOOK) - this version (2.0x) isn't really compatible with the old 1.x versions, so the hardwarenear programmed software will not run :(

Sure, the Mega STE has place for a Hard Disk and VME-Graphics, which make it much better than the 1040 STE was. But the best Game-ST is in my opinion the 1040 STE :)

The Mega STE was thaught as a low-price-office-computer ;)

Mike

There is a lot of accelerators for standard MEGA ST(e). for example:

For ST HBS28 - has fast level2 caches and new CPU 68000 running @ 28 MHz.

For STe Veloce - has 68020 @ 16Mhz

In case 4 MB is not enough there is MAGNUM fast RAM card with 8 MB

There is lot of other interesting devices (Multiboard - TOS 2.6, upto 8 MB fast RAM, IDE; AT-Speed - hardware emulator of 286,...), but unfortunetally at this time it is very hard to find them :sad:

I agree, the 1040STE probably runs the most games of all ST's out there.

When you expand your ST(E) keep in mind that there's badly written software out there that has trouble with memory sizes over 1MB and maybe even over the 512KB although i don't think i ever had one of those. There are little programs who let you set the amount of memory you want to use. I'm not sure if they will let you boot a disc with your chosen settings though.

Accelarators that can't be switched back to the original CPU speed are an incompitable risk as well. Some software uses timing depedend tricks for effects, loaders or whatever. A different clockspeed might make it crash.

For most games an accelerator isn't that interresting anyways. There's only a handfull, maybe 2 hands full, of games that will run smoother or faster in such a way that it enhances the gameplay.