IGNORED

Ultra Menu DOS by Computer Software Services

TZJB

Was Ultra Menu DOS by CSS ever a thing?

I have seen it referenced in the Super Archiver documentation.

I have just found a copy in the a8preserved archive but it's a 76KB ATX file.

It boots to a menu in Altirra using USD emulation but won't boot from RespecQt on a real 800XL even with Super Archiver emulation.

I wondered if anyone used it and has the documentation?

4 hours ago, IndusGT said:

Never used it but have it and the documentation, three pages:

348387289_796536211870178_9167858980004575632_n.jpg

353760815_1752308791891297_8390259994887716807_n.jpg

353894104_1228620421165918_1814575050663404970_n.jpg

Thanks, that's great. The document explains the functions well. It seems like it has a Fenders type 3 sector Mach Ten Menu writer built in for binary files too.

I can't work out if the ATX disk image is protected or just a bad disk. It certainly has many bad sectors but I don't know if they are intentional.

Does anyone have a cleaned up version by any chance?

1626661421_UltraMenuDOSdiskmap.thumb.png.04bc9a99f1feb9360057e69eea34cb85.png

Ultra Menu-DOS, The (1985)(Computer Software Services)(US)[disk].zip

• Thanks 1

The menu writer was included in the UltraSpeed Plus OS module as part of the XL-FIX (800) OS.  I have used it, and I believe that it supported both SD and DD disks.  I don't believe that any sector copier was included with the US+ OS version, except there is a mini-copier in the US+ OS itself.  Interesting to see the full package!

UPDATE: This disk is deliberately custom protected which is a bit weird for a DOS disk. I just tried to copy the disk image to a floppy disk and failed using Archiver v3.02 and Archiver v3.12. I used RespecQT in CHIP mode to my real Super Archiver II. It appears that the disk has some 19 sector tracks and some weird sectors. The Archiver program completed the copy with v3.02 but not v3.12 stopping at track 13. The completed copy will not successfully boot.

• Like 1

It's really not a dos disk (regardless of the name).  It's a utility disk, and I'm pretty sure I have seen a cracked version -- "Cracked by Kilroy"?

Also, this disk was apparently dumped for the Software Preservation Initiative, according to this post, so it should be available at least in SCP format:

3 hours ago, Larry said:

It's really not a dos disk (regardless of the name).  It's a utility disk, and I'm pretty sure I have seen a cracked version -- "Cracked by Kilroy"?

Also, this disk was apparently dumped for the Software Preservation Initiative, according to this post, so it should be available at least in SCP format:

Yes I found it in that archive. I have it booted succesfully from my Fujinet now, and as you say it's more geared towards utilities. The SCP file wasn't included in the ZIP file for this software, just the ATX. If you come across the Kilroy version please attach. I'm guessing that they didn't sell many copies...

Just now, Larry said:

Were you able to successfully boot the ATX?

Yes I put the ATX image on my Fujinet microSD card and booted it from Fujinet D1:

However it's very hit and miss as it may or may not load, probably due to timing. I need to try SDrive-MAX now. Ho-hum.

58 minutes ago, Larry said:

I wasn't fast enough... What client do you use.  I've never dealt with torrents before.

I use Tixati. Lots of user options and can be bound to an interface. Port forwarding isn't necessary either.

• Thanks 1

For those who want to try it, Altirra boots that ATX image with no issues.  I used XL/XE, stock 810 drive, and XLOS-2 for the settings.  Be  sure to make the disk Read/Write after mounting on the "Disk Drives" user interface.  I'll try it on real hardware later using APE with the VAPI.DLL add-on.

• 6 months later...

IMO the original disk has physical damage for copy protection. It writes to weak sector 196 and afterwards verifies that the sector is still weak. If the drive is able to actually write the sector, it will be a good one afterwards.

The ATX reliably does not work for me in Altirra, except I configure full disk emulation of US Doubler. Then I have no idea why it works because the protection is still being checked.

If you find time, please check if this image works.

Ultra Menu-DOS, The (1985)(Computer Software Services)(US)[cr CSS].atr

For me it booted in Altirra and I was able to write the three sector menu to a blank disk.

Woot, one CSS cracks another CSS. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nope, the disk I posted can initialize new disks.

If you press OPTION, the menu changes. There you can define source (haven't found out how to use that) and destination drive by pressing F or T.

If you then insert a disk with XEXs into, say drive 2, press T until it show "2" and then press M for Mach_Menu, the menu is written to that disk.

image.png.ff7df3c36b604ce08ad1686c7d48f440.png

I guess that with C you can copy files from the From-disk but with the DOS 2 disk I tried, writing always ended with an error 160.

Booting the disk after it was initialized looks very similar to your screenshot:

image.png.4180495c90a73115a3de1c16d46ae500.png

• Like 2