IGNORED

Atari Mr Run and Jump

Goochman

21 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

I am strongly considering purchasing a Retron 77 just so I can enjoy Mr Run and Jump. I saw a review that said the game is nearly impossible to finish, and just not very fun without some type of save system, and he completed it using the save state option in the Retron 77. It would be a benefit with other 2600 titles too in my opinion, like Dragon Stomper and Mindmaster.

I wont use it for cheating (means making snapshots during playing the levels). At least not yet :) . But its boring to play through the levels you already completed just to reach the level you are like to play. Thats something the developer should have thought of. And indeed there wont be any high score playing that way (cause its a timer). Or a per level high score (but this is an Atari 2600 game. So this is surely to much to aks for within its limits).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Unfortunately the 2600+ doesn't offer this option (yet?). Since the Stella emulator supports save states (and the R77 makes use of them), there is hope that access to the Stella UI will be added with future updates. E.g. Stella's command menu for R77 looks like this:

commandsmenu_r77.png.3de2b76b5d266536dc7dbe09318aa1be.png

Here you have direct access to some options. And with "Settings..." there are many, many more options available. A command menu for the 2600+ would look similar (or identical).

Thanks for your hint. But I like to play it on my good, old Atari 2600. Its so anachronistic playing a new game from 2023 on my 197x Atari 2600 :) ! So I need some button combination cheat to jump directly to levels.

I got the game as a VERY early X-mas present, from my girlfriend.

Using a composite modded 2600, and I was worried that my OSSC+Koryuu (connected to a LG OLED) would loose sync, since the screen seems to jump/glitch when entering a new screen, from some clips I've seen on youtube.

But it's been flawless. No jump/glitches, just smooth transitions, to the next screen.

And the flickering sprites, don't cause any issues either.

Just to letting people (with the same setup) know, that there is no video issues happening.

Edited by Steel76
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:50 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I doubt the game has anything build-in. So you have to wait until you can use Stella's save states. Or buy a R77.  :) 

Hi, I got the Atari 2600+ and the Retron77. But playing a brand new game from Atari on the Atari 2600 is so .... anachronistic :) . But I presume that I have to play the game on Stella as it seems :( (BTW Stella is amazing, but I prefer the real hardware).

Edited by peter2014

37 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Bitsized  While you're waiting, download the free pre-release ROM and ENJOY!

Very strange that vhzc would link an older build of the game from 2019 on his website, it must have been an oversight. The newest version of Ninjish Guy In Low Res World is here in the AA thread.

- James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very strange that vhzc would link an older build of the game from 2019 on his website, it must have been an oversight. The newest version of Ninjish Guy In Low Res World is here in the AA thread.

- James

@ZeroPage Homebrew  Thanks!  I see the newer one has the "Clear" message in between levels.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am using a modded 2600 with RGB out and a xrgb mini. While changing screens it takes a long time to resync. Anyone else have a similar setup and or have any hint to correct this?

Edited by acem77

• 3 weeks later...

Having received my Mr Run and Jump today, I've been giving it a bit of play on the Retron 77, and Coleco Gemini.  The cart looks and feels nice.  It seems as though Atari made the plastic of the 'skirt' where the cart interfaces with the cart guide a bit too thick.  This isn't a problem on the R77, but on the Gemini, I have to be sure to plug the cart in perfectly straight or the cart goes in rough and makes loud crunching noises.  It is breaking the clips that hold that end of the cart together.

The game is quite fun, though the flicker is painful.  I may have met my match with my old brain, though.  On challenge screen 3-5, the objects are moving too fast for me.  I can time them, but can't clear them.  If I jump when they are up, I collide with them directly.  If I jump when they are going down, they hit me in the butt.

Edited by fluxit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fluxit said:

The game is quite fun, though the flicker is painful.  I may have met my match with my old brain, though.  On challenge screen 3-5, the objects are moving too fast for me.  I can time them, but can't clear them.  If I jump when they are up, I collide with them directly.  If I jump when they are going down, they hit me in the butt.

I can consistently make it to level 5 now, but that one screen on level 3 that you're talking about is probably one screen in the game where I have died the most.  Level 3 overall is where the difficulty really starts ramping up.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:54 AM, livingonwheels said:

I am strongly considering purchasing a Retron 77 just so I can enjoy Mr Run and Jump. I saw a review that said the game is nearly impossible to finish, and just not very fun without some type of save system, and he completed it using the save state option in the Retron 77. It would be a benefit with other 2600 titles too in my opinion, like Dragon Stomper and Mindmaster.

Not very fun?! It's incredibly fun! Using a save system would make it a LOT easier, but also remove a ton of the fun. Each seemingly impossible screen is kind of like a puzzle, and once you figure it out and master it, that screen will no longer give you much trouble and it's on to figuring out the next one. Save states make it so you never really ever have to master anything. (I would like to be able to play this game with quicksaves someday. However, I wouldn't give up the experience of playing it without save states for anything. Even if I never beat it that way.)

On 1/17/2024 at 1:12 AM, acem77 said:

Hello, I am using a modded 2600 with RGB out and a xrgb mini. While changing screens it takes a long time to resync. Anyone else have a similar setup and or have any hint to correct this?

Yeah same issue with mine hooked up to a retroTink,  it's quite jarring,  to the point when I reach the next screen I pause for a second to get my bearings.   I'm used to it now.   

I found a setting in my XRGB mini that helps with this. Some type of re-sync timer delay. 1,3,10 sec.  I may be off on the increments but I believe I have it set the 3 seconds This helped a lot. I'm a little shocked that any new homebrew did not consider this issue as there are a bunch of older titles that were reworked because of sloppy syncs 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, r_chase said:

It would be nice if there is a digital copy of the 2600 version available for purchase at the very least. idk if I'll be able to purchase the cart any time due to me saving money for more important things IRL.

There’s no particular reason the digital version would automatically be cheaper. Not all companies do that.

I might even re-buy the game at full price if a rom were made available for sale. That’s how badly I want a rom to go with my cart.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:31 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew has a LIVE INTERVIEW with John Mikula the developer of Mr. Run and Jump on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• LIVE Interview with John Mikula of Mr. Run and Jump (2023 | 2600) by Heavy Horse Games / John Mikula
  • ZΔRKSTΔRS IV: Nebula (2023 Exclusive World Premiere | 2600) by Leandro Camara @HSW3ET (Programming, Design and Soundtrack), Heitor Maciel (Programming Consulting), Viviane Peçaibes (Design and Text Consulting), Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago (Hardware & Programming Consulting)
  • Food Ninja (2023 | 2600) by Ricardo Pim @Ricardo Pim

WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY

Info on the game straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Fantastic! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I couldn't let you guys have all the fun, so I bought a refurbished OEM 4-switch woody Atari console and the Mr. Run and Jump standard edition cartridge in the orange box.

Tried them both out today for a bit.  I REALLY like Mr. Run and Jump!  (Also, I REALLY like having my old Atari console back.  I almost wanted to give it a hug!)

image.jpeg.bb0c06c5d32f2a79a7a4486d6523de84.jpeg

I have not advanced far in the game, but so far I find the flicker to be barely noticeable.  I like the Pitfall 2-style gameplay format where you return back to the last checkpoint when you die so you can try again.  I think this game is a lot of fun and so far I am enjoying playing it very much!