IGNORED

Repair an NTSC TI99/4a with limited equipment?

Atari2600PAL

Hi. I'd really like to use the component out on my PAL unit but none of my screens can cope with the output (poor colours and spills over edges of screen). An OSSC made it fit the screen but there were horrid lines running down the screen I couldn't get rid of (and I no longer use a screen that has HDMI anyway)

However I do have a motherboard, keyboard and power board from an NTSC unit that seems to give a good composite output to the 4:3 screen I'm currently using (a 15" that sits on top of my peb to save space)

The trouble is that I can plug it all together and it powers on with the initial splash screen (which is how I've judged that composite seems reasonably ok) but it doesn't respond to any key press. It just sits on the splash screen. No idea if it's a keyboard problem or the mobo

I only have limited tools like a multi-meter and soldering iron available

Is it worth trying to fix with my limited tool availability or should I just watch eBay for a working NTSC unit and get it shipped over

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks

7 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

try shorting the key pins on the motherboard to simulate a keystroke the matrix is pretty simple and is in the faq pinned here 

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/164-ti-994a-computers/

Thanks. It was the Mitsumi keyboard

I managed to load Parsec and sadly it showed I was wrong about the display.

It DOES at least fit on the screen BUT Parsec was a kaleidoscope of colours

Looks like I'll be using PAL RF until I can find another display that works with the component output

image.thumb.jpeg.e8dd30e7904f0936b6b3f5a2a7e64bc7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Looks like I'll be using PAL RF until I can find another display that works with the component output

image.thumb.jpeg.e8dd30e7904f0936b6b3f5a2a7e64bc7.jpeg

Are you sure that's PAL? The color fringing like that should only happen on NTSC.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

would I offer it if it wouldnt?  It works on all consoles even the 99/4

I guess it WAS a stupid question (in my defence I was thinking about the chip change needed for the TMS RGB on one of the units I think)

Can I add it to my existing CC9900 order please?

EDIT: Have added to existing order, if there's a postage cost issue please let me know and I'll sort with you. Many thanks

Thanks

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Only thing to note is that the frame rate out of the F18A will always be 60hz. Works fine in all consoles though.

Thanks. Have just checked the VGA input on my TV screen and according to the manual it only does 60hz

So hopefully will be ok

• 3 weeks later...

I've just received a PAL unit I picked up off eBay (the PSU, PAL Modulator & double cassette lead are all good and I would happily of paid what I did just for those)

But the PAL unit has a display issue (as per images) though the case is in reasonable condition and the keyboard works (though needs a clean!)

I'm now torn between trying to repair the PAL motherboard or just swapping in the good NTSC motherboard ready for the F18A and keeping the PAL mobo for spares

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be wrong with it and/or what I should maybe do (swapping motherboard seems the simplest!) please?

Many thanks

image.thumb.jpeg.8417261a64856781692caa0b67249784.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e96847bd3cf84d5b0d48e11506c359ba.jpeg

The following was just me testing the keyboard

image.thumb.jpeg.3e46b10e77e194baf62f4606f4f1deef.jpeg

Might be a VRAM issue, but since it doesn't show any of the typical "stuck bit" artifacts, I'm thinking it could also be the VDP... Both would make the board a good candidate for that F18a, since it effectively replaces both.

So, keep the NTSC one as-is, and fix the new PAL unit with the F18a

2 minutes ago, TheMole said:

Might be a VRAM issue, but since it doesn't show any of the typical "stuck bit" artifacts, I'm thinking it could also be the VDP... Both would make the board a good candidate for that F18a, since it effectively replaces both.

That's good to know, will give it a try thanks

I guess I better get cleaning and doing some more testing to make sure that the display is the ONLY issue with it

Many thanks

1 hour ago, TheMole said:

I tried running Parsec. As expected the graphics are pretty glitchy

However, the sound was also bad with random tones playing, is this still likely to be just the VRAM and/or VDP please? Or something else as well please?

Many thanks

image.thumb.jpeg.26d28c45d2513be3a0783a46e7c30ff4.jpeg

Not having much luck with all this

I decided to swap the NTSC board into the case to test it, as I know the keyboard is good, but the NTSC still doesn't respond to any key presses

So as far as I can work out so far I can short the NTSC keyboard pins and it responds to the correct key presses, but attach a working keyboard and it doesn't

Will open it up again tomorrow and make sure the connector didn't come off as the cable is very short on this one

EDIT: Decided to take a look and sure enough the connector had slipped off (should of guessed, as the first time I put it together I managed to forget to fit the grom riser too...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Duewester said:

I'd pull and reseat the VDP in the PAL unit. Check/replace the thermal paste.

Thanks, will give that a go (have ordered some thermal grease as I'm out)

Have decided to use the F18A in the NTSC board as I have no use for an NTSC output machine and the motherboard is in immaculate condition (looks factory fresh)

The only issue with it is a buzz from the internal power board which I don't get from the PAL machine ones BUT the connectors between them and the motherboard are different so can't swap one of those in without some rewiring so may as well buy & fit a modern PSU?

10 hours ago, Duewester said:

I'd pull and reseat the VDP in the PAL unit. Check/replace the thermal paste.

Just tried a pull and reseat and it's completely failed now, just a totally random display and continuous tones

That mobo is now off to the spares box, but going to look at modifying the cabling from the power board to make it compatible with the NTSC board, rather than fitting a modern PSU

Have managed to desolder the connector from the buzzing board and re-solder it onto what was the spare power board and I now have an NTSC system ready for the F18A with no buzz

(I say "managed" because my soldering skills are pretty minimal, but getting better slowly)

• Like 1