IGNORED

The simultaneous multiplayer game list.

JagChris

Luckily, that's something I kept track of in my database of Atari 8-bit games I've played:
Archon
Archon II
Astrowarriors
Beach-Head II: The Dictator Strikes Back
Bruce Lee (well, kinda)
Cavelord (one moves, one shoots)
Gauntlet
Hardball
Joust
Mail Order Monsters
Mario Brothers
Maze War
Realm of Impossibility
Robot Knights (ugh)
Spy vs Spy
Spy vs Spy II
Spy vs Spy III
Zybex

There was a soccer game also, but I don't remember the name. I just remember you could run to the left and pop out the right side if the other player had the ball...

Edited by Zolaerla
remembered another game
  • Like 1

Just now, MrFish said:

Atarimania will actually pull up all the simultaneous multiplayer games. It shows 129 titles.

Atarimania - Simultaneous Multiplayer

I'm calling this list into question, or maybe its definition of "simultaneous". I only know about half of the games here. Some samples:

Ali Baba - Each player can control a different character (or characters), but it is a turn-based game. There is no simultaneous unless you count both players being in one "game" as simultaneous, in which case a lot more games would count like Fooblitzky or various war games or board game-ish games like Lords of Conquest or Colonial Conquest.

Return of Heracles - Same thing as Ali Baba, though it's by the same developer (Stuart Smith) and practically the same engine.

Whirlinurds - Unless there is some weird version of it out there, this is absolutely *NOT* simultaneous. You take turns just like most other games of the era.

2 minutes ago, Zolaerla said:

I'm calling this list into question, or maybe its definition of "simultaneous". I only know about half of the games here. Some samples:

I can't vouch for the accuracy of their database. That's on them.

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

I can't vouch for the accuracy of their database. That's on them.

I'm not saying you personally are responsible, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Just wanted to bring up that there are things that shouldn't be in there, and also things are missing that should be in there. Like no Archon? Really? Turn-based board game with simultaneous battles...

4 minutes ago, Zolaerla said:

Ali Baba - Each player can control a different character (or characters), but it is a turn-based game.

The OP has listed MULE in his starter list. So, I guess he considers it simultaneous too.

I think I would go along with that definition -- two players participating in the same game. Games with two players alternating turns on their own game. No, I wouldn't count that.

5 minutes ago, Zolaerla said:

I'm not saying you personally are responsible, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Just wanted to bring up that there are things that shouldn't be in there, and also things are missing that should be in there. Like no Archon? Really? Turn-based board game with simultaneous battles...

Yeah, they also have a category that's listed as "1 vs. 2 player", which has 1188 games in it -- including Archon.

Atarimania - 1 vs. 2 Player

3 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The OP has listed MULE in his starter list. So, I guess he considers it simultaneous too.

I think I would go along with that definition -- two players participating in the same game. Games with two players alternating turns on their own game. No, I wouldn't count that.

The auctions in M.U.L.E. are simultaneous. How much of a game needs to be simultaneous to count?

• Like 1

Just now, Zolaerla said:

The auctions in M.U.L.E. are simultaneous. How much of a game needs to be simultaneous to count?

Ah, yeah... you're right. I'm not really a MULE player. So, I forgot that.

Well, I guess there are some gray areas. Things could stand to be more clearly defined.

• Sad 2

What do people think? Should we include games where you are both playing in the same game world but not actually playing simultaneously? Or only games that are mostly simultaneous?

Games in the same game world, but strictly turn-based include:
Ali Baba (up to 15 players)
Return of Heracles
Lords of Conquest
Fooblitzky
Colonial Conquest (up to 6 players)
TGIF
OGRE
and about a bajillion war games.

Also, I've made videos about a lot of these games explaining how they work and what happened to the developers afterwards and all that if anybody wants to see videos of some of them.

Edited by Zolaerla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David_P said:

Not really a MULE player?

NOTE REALLY A MULE PLAYER??????

Ahem.

Haha...

BITD, I had a copy of the game. It looked cool/interesting, but I had no instructions for it. Never figured out what to do. Loved the intro, etc. Booted it up every once in a while to get a laugh and check it out. If we'd had instructions for it, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

Forward to recent years, finally took the time at some point to see what it's all about. Not a difficult game to get into at all. Played a couple games against the computer. Found it to be quite good. As has been noted constantly, the larger appeal is playing it with other humans. I'm not really around anyone these days who would be interested in playing it. So, I've never experienced that part. Single player versus computer opponents is good, but not really compelling enough for me to continue playing -- especially given that it's the type of game that takes some time. Glad I got a chance to finally play it; and I am a fan of the game, for what it is; love the attention to details, humor, and the fact that it's a real standout/pioneer piece of gaming software, and that it was developed for the Atari 8-bit computers first. All due respect.

1523030674_muleflag.thumb.png.01bd6d24bddf95fb5d5752849d44b983.png

• Like 3

Outlaw/Howitzer:

Outlaw

Quick Step:

Quick Step

Gunfight (AFAIR):

Gunfight

Highway Duel:
Highway Duel

CuttleMania!

CuttleMania!