IGNORED

jum52 5200 emulator, full of bugs?

Derek

I am not having much luck with the 5200 emulator called jum52. Most of my roms don't respond to the reset, or start keys (f1 and f2) If they do then the game does not respond to the joystick (calibration always fails) or the keyboard where the keys to go up, down, etc seem to change with each rom. This is the first 5200 emulator that has even tried to run, most refuse to recognize that little 2k file that you need to search for, and thus won't run. Anyone having fun vs. frustration with this emulator? Any thoughts? Thanks, Derek.

Jum52 isn't even close to be the best 5200 emulator out there. It does have a lot of quirkly bugs and issues. If you are running a PC the best emu is probably Atari800WinPlus which runs 5200 games great. For the Mac, you can get AtariMacOSX which also runs all the 5200 games you can throw at it.

The Mac version is actually called Atari800X. It still is not a perfect 5200 emulator, but it definitely seems better than Jum52.

Yep, Al got it right, you are thinking of an old one that wasn't so great. Mark's Atari800MacX is very stable on the 800 and 5200 fronts and is still being improved regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
Jum52 isn't even close to be the best 5200 emulator out there.  It does have a lot of quirkly bugs and issues.  If you are running a PC the best emu is probably Atari800WinPlus which runs 5200 games great.  For the Mac, you can get AtariMacOSX which also runs all the 5200 games you can throw at it.
Wait a sec...

Am I missing something huge here?

Atari800WinPlus only does digital control.

And all the extra buttons are hard-coded and only for controller 1, making any game that uses more than the primary fire button unplayable(though it's a step above the standard Atari800, which claims 5200 support but, while it has analog support through a mouse it doesn't have ANY keypad emulation whatsoever...).

The ONLY decent 5200 emu I've seen recently has been Atari800DC.

Instant access to both fire buttons, the Start key, the pause key, analog control, and working keypad support(aside from reset, which is inexplicably a hard reset instead of the keypad reset button. Only really affects Qix far as I know, though the method of acessing the keypad affects anything that uses it in-game, like Frogger).

Of course, being an older version of Atari800 the emulation has some issues, mainly in sound, but it WORKS, whcih is more than can be said for the alternatives.