IGNORED

EEPROM boards for 2600 Wizard and 2600 Adventure on eBay

ChrisCrawford

This is my second attempt to post this information here; I've been fighting the software, which hassled me for half an hour before finally accepting my username and password. Would somebody please shoot the appropriate programmer?

These are EEPROM boards that the programmer prepared for play testing before submitting the final one for mass duplication. The first is my 2K game Wizard. The second is Warren Robinett's game Adventure. They are in the eBay category "Videogames > games". The title of the auction item is "

I was rummaging around in an old box and, much to my surprise, discovered not one but TWO old EEPROM development boards from my days at Atari. I have put them up for auction at eBay. (Well, actually, my wife has put them up for auction on her account). The first is a board for Wizard, the 2K game I designed for the 2600. The second is a board for Adventure, the magnificent design by Warren Robinett. He gave it to me to playtest. They are in the "Videogames > games" section.

By the way (this isn't about Atari stuff), I also found two old 8mm cartoon reels my dad must have bought long ago. The first is "Andy Panda" and the second is "Woody Woodpecker". The things I find in old boxes...

I'll be happy to fill in any details here. Ask away!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisCrawford said:

I've been fighting the software, which hassled me for half an hour before finally accepting my username and password.

Sorry for the hassle, I had to make a change that requires you to login with your email address instead of username, as some accounts had been hacked.  Since email addresses are not publicly displayed on the forum, this makes it more difficult for accounts to be hacked.

..Al

5 hours ago, ChrisCrawford said:

This is my second attempt to post this information here; I've been fighting the software, which hassled me for half an hour before finally accepting my username and password. Would somebody please shoot the appropriate programmer?

These are EEPROM boards that the programmer prepared for play testing before submitting the final one for mass duplication. The first is my 2K game Wizard. The second is Warren Robinett's game Adventure. They are in the eBay category "Videogames > games". The title of the auction item is "

I was rummaging around in an old box and, much to my surprise, discovered not one but TWO old EEPROM development boards from my days at Atari. I have put them up for auction at eBay. (Well, actually, my wife has put them up for auction on her account). The first is a board for Wizard, the 2K game I designed for the 2600. The second is a board for Adventure, the magnificent design by Warren Robinett. He gave it to me to playtest. They are in the "Videogames > games" section.

By the way (this isn't about Atari stuff), I also found two old 8mm cartoon reels my dad must have bought long ago. The first is "Andy Panda" and the second is "Woody Woodpecker". The things I find in old boxes...

I'll be happy to fill in any details here. Ask away!

Hi Chris,

Are these the final versions of the game?  I see the Wizard prototype is dated 4-20-80, but I was under the impression that  your 2-21-80 proto was the final version.  Is this another case of the prototype being dated long after the game was finished?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/wizard/22180.htm

Sorry for the late response; I forgot to check in yesterday. This version is identical to the earlier version. I stopped working on Wizard in January of 1980 when I began working on the Energy Czar game for the HCS. In all truth, I was astounded to discover this copy; I had only one copy that I knew of, and sold it some time ago. This one, and the Adventure board were both in the bottom of a box that wasn't marked with anything about Atari. I suspect that if I dig deeper into some of those old boxes, I might find source code for, well, just about anything. 😀

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChrisCrawford said:

Sorry for the late response; I forgot to check in yesterday. This version is identical to the earlier version. I stopped working on Wizard in January of 1980 when I began working on the Energy Czar game for the HCS. In all truth, I was astounded to discover this copy; I had only one copy that I knew of, and sold it some time ago. This one, and the Adventure board were both in the bottom of a box that wasn't marked with anything about Atari. I suspect that if I dig deeper into some of those old boxes, I might find source code for, well, just about anything. 😀

I wonder why it has such a late date on it?  Maybe it was when the EPROMs were burned?  The next question would be WHY was this particular prototype made?  

Is the adventure prototype also the final version?  To my knowledge this is the only Adventure prototype that has turned up.

Please keep digging!  You're discovering priceless history.  Speaking of pro typed, are you aware that a prototype for Energy Czar was just discovered?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/351769-some-prototypes-of-released-titles/

• Like 1