IGNORED

NEW CX-Forty/2 Joystick

doubledown

A new arcade joystick that I started using recently, has opened up some new possibilities with regards to being able to install it, into very small enclosures, that I haven't been able to use before.  So I got to thinking about making an homage to one of my favorite joysticks of all time, the joystick I started out with at a very young age, the joystick I grew up with, and a joystick that I still use to this day...the CX-40.  So with this new SUZO HAPP joystick in my arsenal, I set out to build an "updated" CX-40, with robust, real arcade components...and the addition of a 2nd FIRE button, for those modern hacks and homebrews that it can be used with.  So presenting my:

CX-Forty/2 Joystick 

ikP5hk.png

Built into a Hammond MFG 1591SBK 2-piece molded ABS enclosure, (which is only slightly larger than the original CX-40, and intended to be used handheld), I've installed my modified SUZO HAPP Compact 8-way microswitch joystick, and (2) Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons, w/ A.S. classic concave plungers.  I used an orange plunger for the main FIRE button (like the original), and a black plunger for the 2nd FIRE button...so that cosmetically, it blends into the enclosure, and helps match the appearance of the originals as much as possible.  To top off the joystick, rather than just simply installing a ball knob, or a tapered bat knob, I machined a short section of aluminum hex stock to screw onto the joystick shaft, which I coated with black Plasti-Dip...to give it that oh-so-familiar rubber feel.  Hammond also makes this same sized enclosure in a die-cast aluminum version that I also want to try (to check the weight difference/balance), and I'll play around with 3D printing a plastic hex shaft/knob (versus the machined aluminum version), and I'll probably also try out some standard ball knobs to get a feel for them as other possible options.  Enjoy!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

I take one 🤗

Well you say that...but unfortunately, like most all of the other controllers that I build...it's not cheap.  The joystick itself makes up the bulk of the cost as I have it configured/modified, at about $65..my cost.  Then the enclosure, the buttons, the custom crimped cable...and again...it's pricey.  To reproduce the one as pictured in the first post, it would sell for around $125.  It could be a bit cheaper, if I can work out a 3D printed Hex Shaft/Knob that I'm happy with, or simply use a ball knob...and also if the factory installed E-Switch microswitches are used, versus upgrading them to Cherry (ZF) microswitches, as I did for mine...which is a personal preference regarding their feel/actuation. 

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Nicely done!

Is the second fire button 7800-compatible?

This particular one, is wired for Joy2B+/Genesis, 2-button compatibility, for 2600/8-Bit games...it could of course alternately be wired as a 2-button 7800 controller.  

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 2