IGNORED

Plotmapfile didn't find a palette in 7800basic

Sprybug

Hey guys.

I've been experimenting with 7800basic and plan on porting my latest Atari 2600 homebrew Robot Zed, to the 7800 with all the stuff that I initially wanted to do with the game.

However, in my test I've run into this problem.  I've gone over it countless times, checked the 7800 manual online, checked the plotmapfile example, and even looked at other threads where people had this problem and I don't understand why I am getting the "Plotmapfile didn't find a palette" error.

Here's a part of my code from the start up to the point where it calls plotmapfile...

set zoneheight 8

dim zedx=a
  dim zedy=b

displaymode 160A

P0C1=$82
  P0C2=$86
  P0C3=$8A

P1C1=$12
  P1C2=$F6
  P1C3=$FC

BACKGRND=$00

incgraphic Base_Area_Tiles.png 160A 0 1 2 3 1

incgraphic Robot_Zed.png

incmapfile Base_Area.tmx

characterset Base_Area_Tiles
  clearscreen
  plotmapfile Base_Area.tmx Base_Area 0 0 20 23

And the error I get every time is

*** (30): ERROR, plotmapfile didn't find a palette for Base_Area

Seems no matter what I do, I can't shake it.  Anyone know what in the heck's goin' on?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldStyle said:

Try 160A for the RobotZed png.

No difference.  In the plotmapfile example program, the sprites didn't use any parameters, however the tiles do.

I tried it anyway to see if it made any difference.

I tried:

incgraphic Robot_Zed.png 160A

Same error, then

incgraphic Robot_Zed.png 160A 0 1 2 3

Same error, then

incgraphic Robot_Zed.png 160A 0 1 2 3 0

Nope, still get the same error. 😕

Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've looked at PlotMapFile but my guess would be that your tileset in the tmx is called 'Base_Area' and that's what 7800basic is looking for, but of course your tileset is actually called 'Base_Area_Tiles' so it's not finding it. If you open the tmx file in a text editor you should see a line like -

<tileset firstgid="1" name="Tiles" tilewidth="8" tileheight="16" tilecount="128">

- and if you change the name to Base_Area_Tiles that might sort the issue for you.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

It's been a while since I've looked at PlotMapFile but my guess would be that your tileset in the tmx is called 'Base_Area' and that's what 7800basic is looking for, but of course your tileset is actually called 'Base_Area_Tiles' so it's not finding it. If you open the tmx file in a text editor you should see a line like -

<tileset firstgid="1" name="Tiles" tilewidth="8" tileheight="16" tilecount="128">

- and if you change the name to Base_Area_Tiles that might sort the issue for you.

Smitty, you're a genius!  Changing the name in the tmx file itself in a text editor to "Base_Area_Tiles" did the trick!

This will be good information for anyone else that has this problem.

• Like 4