IGNORED

GORF Arcade with the AtariVox

cvga

I've had GORF Arcade for awhile and it's an amazing game but didn't have a chance to use it with the AtariVox until last night. I had to find my AtariVox only to rediscover that you need external speakers with it. I couldn't find my speakers for the longest time (and for some reason didn't think about plugging a set of headphones into the AtariVox) but that wasn't my biggest issue anyhow. I'm currently playing an Atari 7800 and the AtariVox doesn't fit in the joystick port because of the design of the 7800's shell. I remedied this by purchasing a joystick extended from Amazon (for like $7.98). I found my speakers (in plain sight in the basement) while I was waiting for the extender to arrive but the speakers needed "C" size batteries which I didn't have so I waited until we went grocery shopping (mainly because I wasn't thinking about it on my way home from work and didn't want to go back out earlier in the week).

Last night I finally had my cart, extender, AtariVox, speakers and batteries all in one place and let me tell you the wait was worth it! I thought it might seem odd having sound coming from two different sources but it really wasn't an issue at all. 

Now I'm off to discover if there are other games that are enhanced (beyond saving the high score - I was already using a save key with the incredible version of Qyx). Amazing how much enjoyment I continue to get out of playing Atari 43 years after getting my vcs.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, cvga said:

I've had GORF Arcade for awhile and it's an amazing game but didn't have a chance to use it with the AtariVox until last night.

It’s worth purchasing an AtariVox just for this game. It’s not the same without being able to listen to all of the taunting. Btw, the included poster includes the speech on the backside. 

Off the top of my head, the Vox provides additional speech for Fall Down, Juno First, Omicron, T:ME Salvo & Wizard of War. I’m sure I’m missing some. 

Here’s the list of AtariVox games.

<Edit> I know I’m biased, but with all of the speech and 5 levels this is a must have game. 😀

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Not all of them use the Vox part, many (e.g. Aardvark) only the SaveKey part of the AtariVox.

You are correct, I should have been more clear. Included the listing so the OP and others see how each game utilizes the device. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, cvga said:

Now I'm off to discover if there are other games that are enhanced

A little bit of self-promotion: My work-in-progress Atari homebrew site lets you filter for games that use speech. Just check the box for AtariVox under peripherals.

http://atarihomebrew.statotronic.com/games.php

(I think I have them all, but if I missed any, please let me know.)

• Like 3