IGNORED

Recently acquired 1200XL

So I just recently acquired this 1200XL. And I noticed that it's already been modified with a 28 pin socket and some eproms. Can someone give me some info on what it's been changed to?

Also, this machine has the problematic keyboard malfunction and is missing the "2" key. Can someone point me in the right direction on getting that key?

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Dopeyman06 said:

So I just recently acquired this 1200XL. And I noticed that it's already been modified with a 28 pin socket and some eproms

Those are factory EPROMS in an early production machine. And some machines came from the factory with 28-pin sockets even if they were equipped with mask ROMs. Two of my 1200XLs came that way - mask ROM chips in 28 pin sockets. That was convenient when I put an Ultimate 1MB in one of them, and when I put the later 1200XL rev 11 OS EPROMs into the second one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Those are factory EPROMS in an early production machine. And some machines came from the factory with 28-pin sockets even if they were equipped with mask ROMs. Two of my 1200XLs came that way - mask ROM chips in 28 pin sockets. That was convenient when I put an Ultimate 1MB in one of them, and when I put the later 1200XL rev 11 OS EPROMs into the second one.

Ahhh ok. Gotcha. Thank you for that info.

I've seen posts here and there regarding that rev11 and 32-1 and all those other mods. But what if I just want a plain 1200XL with just Basic rev.C installed?? No other fancy OS's.   How can I go about it?

8 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Likely it's the stock 1200XL OS.  Boot without a disk drive or type BYE from Basic to see if you get the logo or Self-Test.

Yeah, it boots to the Atari logo. And I can't type BYE with the BASIC cart (rev.B) cause the B key doesn't work LOL! 

I'm interested in modding this 1200XL with Atari BASIC (rev.C) built in. None of those other fancy-shmancy OS's.

I've already fixed the SIO port (5+ volts) and added 256k RAM (MyTek's RamboXL Clone). 

Edited by Dopeyman06

1 hour ago, Dopeyman06 said:

Also, this machine has the problematic keyboard malfunction and is missing the "2" key. Can someone point me in the right direction on getting that key?

I'll check on that...   I have a parts keyboard and will see if it's the same type.

• Like 1