IGNORED

A question about executing a PROGRAM

Count9929A

Hello,

For collection purposes only, I am seeking for an executable file (EA5 or EA3) of the "release version" of Demon Attack, namely the version without the speech. (do you have one?)

During my inquiry I came across a disk that is supposed to be full of cart dumps. It has 4 files that seem related to Demon Attack (PHM3219), thate are named as follows: 

1. PHM3219*
  2. PHM3219*1
  3. PHM3219*2
  4. PHM3219*3

I thought that they might be an EA5 executable, but the EA loader returns error 07. I have also tried by renaming the first file to PHM33219*0, but didn't work. Any idea of what format these files are? Any chance to execute them from a "standard" loader such as the one in EA?

Curious.  Any way you can display the hex codes of the first 6 bytes of each file? For an EA5 program, this is the header that tells if the file continues, where it loads in memory, and how many bytes. 

There used to be some cart dumps that had an initial file, which when loaded took over and loaded the others. But the first tended to be an EA3--or an  XB program which loaded the others. 

I forget how big Demon Attack is. 8K? 16K? I seem to recall the DF80 version (EA3) with speech was half a disk full (about 16K if DF80 uncompressed)

9 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Curious.  Any way you can display the hex codes of the first 6 bytes of each file? For an EA5 program, this is the header that tells if the file continues, where it loads in memory, and how many bytes. 

I forget how big Demon Attack is. 8K? 16K? I seem to recall the DF80 version (EA3) with speech was half a disk full (about 16K if DF80 uncompressed)

Sure:

1. ff 09 20 00 60 00
  2. ff 06 20 00 a0 00
  3. ff 05 20 00 80 00
  4. 00 04 20 00 60 00

Each of the files has lenght 8198 according to TI Image Tool

Yes I have the DF80 version with speech, is 181 sectors

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Count9929A said:
  1. ff 09 20 00 60 00

ff: More files to load

09: ROM space

2000: 8192 bytes long

6000: Start address (hex)

The file size is 8192 bytes plus these 6 bytes.

1. ff 06 20 00 a0 00
  2. ff 05 20 00 80 00
  3. 00 04 20 00 60 00

ff: More files to load (00: last file)

06: GROM space, GROM 6 (05: GROM 5, 04: GROM 4)

2000: 8192 bytes long

a000: Start address in GROM space (hex) (8000, 6000)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You sure these are not GROM files loaded by something like what I use the GPL@LOADER that loads GROM Object code?

You will find it in the GPL GROM file under the name GPL@LOADER same way I create RXB so all tools are included to do it yourself.

RXB 2023.zip

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:51 PM, HOME AUTOMATION said:

dear @HOME AUTOMATION many thanks, but unfortunately the version in the disk has the speech, like the one on GameShelf or in other places.

I am looking for a dump in program format of the released cart, that do not feature the speech (it is a pity).

it might seem strange that I am looking for a version with less feature, but it's just to complete a collection of Imagic software in all existing formats 🙂

• Like 1

I belive that the disk is indeed in a collection for PC99... I didn't know that this emulator has special features

PC99 emulates the GRAM KRACKER or GRAMULATOR which is where these file formats got started.

That is how I got started with GRAM/GROM and morphed into RXB cartridge GPL and Assembly code.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Count9929A said:

dear @HOME AUTOMATION many thanks, but unfortunately the version in the disk has the speech, like the one on GameShelf or in other places.

I am looking for a dump in program format of the released cart, that do not feature the speech (it is a pity).

Hmm, when I tested it the first time, there was no speech!:roll:

I found an EA3 version...

GAMES-04.ZIP

I could probably disable the speech.:evil:

I think this might be your original disk...

PHM194-233.ZIP

...I'll keep an eye out.👁️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RXB said:

PC99 emulates the GRAM KRACKER or GRAMULATOR which is where these file formats got started.

That is how I got started with GRAM/GROM and morphed into RXB cartridge GPL and Assembly code.

So, using RXB is possibile to load such files in a real TI without a GRAM cracker or similar extra hardware?

That would be wonderful!

4 hours ago, Count9929A said:

So, using RXB is possibile to load such files in a real TI without a GRAM cracker or similar extra hardware?

That would be wonderful!

no you need a gram device to load those files into pgram, hsgpl, gram kracker, you could use mame and load it into the gk emulation there.. finalgrom99 could load the cart binaries of the file which is likely already in the finalgrom99.zip on whtech..  I have stock coming if you need one

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

no you need a gram device to load those files into pgram, hsgpl, gram kracker, you could use mame and load it into the gk emulation there.. finalgrom99 could load the cart binaries of the file which is likely already in the finalgrom99.zip on whtech..  I have stock coming if you need one

Hi thanks, I have FG99, I thought RBX could do a magic trick.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have successfully used MAME to load the GRAM cracker files

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Count9929A said:

That would be wonderful!

Well no, you can use a GRAMKRACKER or GRAMULATOR or FINALGROM or HSGPL card or PGRAM card.

Also there were several years of production of RXB as a cart and sold.

• Like 1