IGNORED

Trax engine example for platformers

Spied this on Shanti's YouTube channel and also on Atarionline.pl.

Whilst working on his excellent Trax game engine Shanti has also showcased the possibility of using the same engine for platformers on the a8. 

Looks very promising. :)

http://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7164&page=1#Item_14

I like the ability to shoot diagonally from other platforms in this demonstration. 

Be watching this to see if alongside the Trax game this also developes into another fully fledged game. 

FYI see here for the Trax game's latest progress video Shanti posted on his YT channel last month:

.. And the Atarionline.pl and AA threads:

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6627&page=2

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I agree, the emergence of such engines is such a good thing for the Atari scene and for pushing the envelope. The engine/techniques that drives the platform game Albert results in a fast and flowing - not to mention vibrantly coloured game. I really hope that engine is built upon and a sequel with more involved platformer gaming features, (power ups, etc), is developed as not building on the Albert engine would be a real shame. I can't wait to see L'abbaye des morts too as that is looking to be great also, (with amazing use of dli's for stained glass). 

The 3D raycasting and psudeo 3D engines that have been showcased of late, (sweity's Doom engine in the Rewind demo, Shanti's 3D engine, Globe's final Assault engine and also his 128k 3D raycaster demo), are also incredibly exciting, and open up new opportunities for future 3D gaming. 

At this rate if the momentum and interest in pushing the A8 more is fueled by such engines being created and developed by very clever coders, I think we are in for a real treat over the next year or two. 

I also think the importance of the regular conferences like the lost party, silly ventures and coding competitions like abbuc run are fundementally important in keeping momentum and interest in the Atari scene and also provide and essential incentive for coders to still code for the A8. 

A massive thanks to talented and inventive coders like Shanti who continue to pull rabbits out of hats and prove the A8 is still a fully capable 8 bit machine decades on, which still can surprise!!! 

Mannnnn I love the Atari 8 bit scene!!! 

:)

Edited by Beeblebrox
Typos
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Looks good - probably been said but it reminds me somewhat of Chaos Engine.

Yup, with regard to the Trax game engine I think that was Shanti's inspiration. 

The same engine used as a platform engine also is very welcome surprise that seems to have come out of it. :)

Edit: also as a bit of feedback for the Trax engine platformer I personally think getting rid of the grey background diamond cross hatch (which really shows up with the coins), and either replacing with a partially parallaxed background (perhaps in sillouette), or horizontal dli colour banding would look amazing. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

23 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Do you know if Shanti is going to have a boxed version of Trax when it is done?

I hope so. :) I am assume there is a fair way to go before the final game is released. It's very impressive at the moment but I suspect we'll be many more gameplay additions, etc before it is finalised. Hopefuly we'll get a playable demo soon. 

Seems to be confirmation to me that an Antic Mode 4 mode layout (with character graphic sprites) exploiting the 5th colour can work very well.  Very smooth.  I wondered what are the different approaches or new software techniques being used (eg. to plotting and preshifting) for sprite manipulation?

Edited by TracMan

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Fantastic. Love it. 

Makes you think the potential scope for some very clever platformer shooter and puzzle type games that could be made from this engine. :)

Edit: different weapons, ammunition, special collectables such as rocket packs and mines. So many elements could be introduced to make a very challenging and multifaceted game engine. We'll done. 

This use of the engine also lends itself to a shadow style platformer game with great animation. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Also I wonder what the potential for multiplayer remote Fujinet gaming is on this engine? Almost can see death match style games in both the platformer and top down orientations of this engine. :)

I think for fast arcade games (for example 8bit-Slicks, 8bit-Strike), 8bit-hub (or the no longer available Dragoncart) are more suitable.

I don't know what are the issues but 8bit-Slicks lagged when I tested it with FujiNet and worked with 8bit-Hub and Dragoncart.

At the moment there aren't arcade online FujiNet games.

I hope to be wrong because everybody has FujiNet therefore more people would play online.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rybags said:

There's Gods, right there.

Almost.

Ah yes. I loved playing that on the ST.

The main character also reminds me of the enemies in Abe's Odessey.

I love the animation, physics and speed of the character in Odyn1ec's take on the graphics for this engine.

I've said it before but animation of main characters is IMHO very important to the feel of a game. Take the little cat in Alley Cat, or the Prince in PoP. Both have great animation and physics. Also Albert in the Albert platformer has great animation and physics/momentum. 

I really hope we get some take up with all these great engines being developed on the A8. This one has shown much potential, as does Swiety's Gtia maze/Doom engine in the works. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 2:02 AM, Philsan said:

I think for fast arcade games (for example 8bit-Slicks, 8bit-Strike), 8bit-hub (or the no longer available Dragoncart) are more suitable.

I don't know what are the issues but 8bit-Slicks lagged when I tested it with FujiNet and worked with 8bit-Hub and Dragoncart.

At the moment there aren't arcade online FujiNet games.

I hope to be wrong because everybody has FujiNet therefore more people would play online.

It's mostly SIO serial time. It's only noticeable in action games, where you really need like direct UDP to memory transfers.