IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection vs Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition

dodge ramman

1 hour ago, tkarner said:

40th Anniversary has vertically scrolling mazes, right? While the original collection has single screen mazes. Personally I prefer the single screen mazes. More arcade-like.

There is a version of 40th Anniversary like that (the short mazes one), but it's only available as a download not as a physical cart as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, juansolo said:

There is a version of 40th Anniversary like that (the short mazes one), but it's only available as a download not as a physical cart as far as I'm aware.

Just to avoid confusion, the original 7800 collection without scrolling has the vertical resolution reduced so you get the same arcade mazes, however the anniversary version without scrolling has the same vertical resolution as arcade (same tiles) and therefore has short mazes. This is because with a vertical resolution of 240p it is not possible to use the same vertical resolution as the arcade version (288p) without using scrolling, so it is not only a limitation of the 7800 but also of 16 bit systems and CRT TVs. In fact, the SNES and Genesis versions have scrolling, while PS1 and N64 do not have scrolling but have reduced resolution. We had to wait for the official version of Pac-Man on XBOX 360 to get the same arcade resolution and no scrolling...but this version doesn't have all the mazes and all the options of both 7800 versions. :)

• Like 4

A couple of videos can be viewed as well to see and hear the differences in action:

Pac-Man Collection:

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition:

Clarifying details:

-Any frame skipping or seemingly missed frames is a result of the video upload (conversions) to YouTube. 

-Both titles run very smoothly.

-Original Pac-Man Collection video features POKEY/HOKEY sound edition; however, there is a TIA version available too, in which the audio is taken from the retail Ms. Pac-Man for the 'Ms. Pac' portions, and an equivalent quality was created for the plain 'Pac' games.

-Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition video showcases TIA sound only.  As good as it sounds, it is all just TIA.

There is a vast difference in the TIA sound from the original Pac-Man Collection and the 40th Anniversary Edition, as the latter was developed nearly 15 years later, and more was learned and applied in leveraging the chip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

Just to avoid confusion, the original 7800 collection without scrolling has the vertical resolution reduced so you get the same arcade mazes, however the anniversary version without scrolling has the same vertical resolution as arcade (same tiles) and therefore has short mazes. This is because with a vertical resolution of 240p it is not possible to use the same vertical resolution as the arcade version (288p) without using scrolling, so it is not only a limitation of the 7800 but also of 16 bit systems and CRT TVs. In fact, the SNES and Genesis versions have scrolling, while PS1 and N64 do not have scrolling but have reduced resolution. We had to wait for the official version of Pac-Man on XBOX 360 to get the same arcade resolution and no scrolling...but this version doesn't have all the mazes and all the options of both 7800 versions. :)

For further clarity about the recent "Short Maze version", here is a comparison of the three versions with the same maze.

Pac-Man Collection (original) - small ghosts version :

1260083396_Pac-ManCollection(original)-smallghostsversion.thumb.PNG.bfcffb1aed1c35b673e52067ffb08476.PNG

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition :

2100727190_Pac-ManCollection-40thAnniversaryEdition.thumb.PNG.85f096e5b7c93dfceeea2b44ae107b19.PNG

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition - Short Maze version :

2065877068_Pac-ManCollection-40thAnniversaryEdition-ShortMazeversion.thumb.PNG.f5e39ba869aa052f0a94f52665624646.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SIO2 said:

Yes.

Pac-man is younger in Pac-Man Collection. :D

Seriously though, they are different and while you may think that Pac-Man collection is perfection - The 40th Anniversary Edition is unbelievable.

But how can one improve on perfection?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tkarner said:

40th Anniversary has vertically scrolling mazes, right? While the original collection has single screen mazes. Personally I prefer the single screen mazes. More arcade-like.

Yes, Didnt the sega verson have the scrolling mazes? or im I thinking of another system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

A couple of videos can be viewed as well to see and hear the differences in action:

Pac-Man Collection:

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition:

Clarifying details:

-Any frame skipping or seemingly missed frames is a result of the video upload (conversions) to YouTube. 

-Both titles run very smoothly.

-Original Pac-Man Collection video features POKEY/HOKEY sound edition; however, there is a TIA version available too, in which the audio is taken from the retail Ms. Pac-Man for the 'Ms. Pac' portions, and an equivalent quality was created for the plain 'Pac' games.

-Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition video showcases TIA sound only.  As good as it sounds, it is all just TIA.

There is a vast difference in the TIA sound from the original Pac-Man Collection and the 40th Anniversary Edition, as the latter was developed nearly 15 years later, and more was learned and applied in leveraging the chip.

Well looks like im spending more money! LOL

• Thanks 1

From Retail...

-NES Tengen version
-SMS Tengen version
-Genesis Tengen
-SNES Williams version

...have 2 player cooperative and competitive modes.

Atari 7800, post retail, denoted above by Defender_2600, has Ms. Pac-Man Twin (Thanks @PacManPlus), which is the only simultaneous 2 player version to feature a separate set of dots for each player.

• Like 4

Thanks guys...

Also, a 'two player simultaneous' feature that was added to the late run Pac-Man Collection! games, and all of the Pac Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition games, was the option for the opposite player to control 'Blinky' in 'Chase' mode (i.e. not 'scared' or 'scatter' modes).

This depends on the right difficulty switch (I forget which way off-hand)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Trebor said:

From Retail...

-NES Tengen version
-SMS Tengen version
-Genesis Tengen
-SNES Williams version

...have 2 player cooperative and competitive modes.

Atari 7800, post retail, denoted above by Defender_2600, has Ms. Pac-Man Twin (Thanks @PacManPlus), which is the only simultaneous 2 player version to feature a separate set of dots for each player.

Tengen was a subsidiary of Atari Games!

Edited by dodge ramman

On 7/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, Defender_2600 said:

SNES also has an earlier port of Ms. Pac-Man that was inside Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures (which was hidden but could be accessed via in game password). This version has reduced resolution without scrolling. The Genesis version of Pac-Man 2 has a game named Pac Jr. (not to be confused with Jr. Pac-Man) instead, which is pretty much a modified Ms. Pac-Man with altered mazes and cutscenes. It also has reduced resolution without scrolling. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered "Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition" among other "last chance" games. I prefer a pac-man game without scroll, buts the game looks fantastic and I'm a fan of Pacmanplus games so I ordered it anyway.

I discovered "Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition - Short Maze version" and I want it too :). There is no physical release for it? @PacManPlus @Albert could I order a custom cart for this game? No need to have a nice label etc, but I also would like to get an ok from you before order it. I also tried the rom released by pacmanplus in mateos cart, but I didn't get to work. I tried .bin without header, any help is also welcome.

Thanks!

Edit. Nevermind, I just checked custom 7800 cart in AA store page and this option is currently unavailable. Sorry for don't notice before asking. Regards.

Edited by keitaro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, keitaro said:

Sorry, I haven't used it for a long time and I'm not sure now. File should be renamed from .BIN to .SG to use in mateos, is correct? 

According to the chart for supported hardware and bankswitching...

image.thumb.png.35cc29f9005c31978d42cdd7d837d969.png

...that appears correct.  Including the extension must be in uppercase.

1 hour ago, Pac-Lander said:

If the choice is between the two, and I can only purchase one - 

which one would you all recommend that I buy?

Thanks in advance! 🙏

I had to make the same choice today.  I went with the original because I am not a fan of the scrolling mazes.  Bob DeCrescenzo is an absolute Atari 7800 genius.  I am sure both games are excellent and you won't go wrong choosing either or both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1