IGNORED

Recommended 32X and Sega CD games?

Jasoco

I'm no expert, I've only been playing 32X and Cd games for the last couple of months but I don't think you could go wrong with Sonic CD and Lunar for the CD system. For the 32X, I've enjoyed Blackthorne, Virtua Racing, and Space Harrier. There's more good games on these two consoles than I originally thought back in the day :)

'fraid I have no recommendations for SegaCD stuff, but there are some pretty decent 32X games out there: Virtua Racing, Star Wars Arcade and Space Harrier are excellent, Mortal Kombat II is probably the best cartridge version of the game out there, Metal Head and T-Mek look quite awesome (although I've never played either). Doom and Virtua Fighter aren't the best (or even all that great) versions available, but the coolness of playing Virtua Fighter (in 3D) on your Genesis is definitely worth something.

--Zero

Yeah. I heard about the crappiness of the 32X DOOM. Something about, oh, a huge border and lack of backs and sides on the enemies.

But I still want it. I am a DOOM fan. And I'm sure I'd get a kick out of it. Anyone know if it is set up like the SNES version in terms of level layout or is it different? Can I choose Episode 3 on easy? Or is it like the SNES one where I have to play episode 3 on hard?

the sega cd is an interesting system.

there is a lot of crap on it, but its so cheap and plentiful, that its worth messing around with. Night Trap, Sewer Shark, Make your Own Music video, etc

Then you have Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, Lunar 1 & 2, Vay, Snatcher... these games took full advantage of the Sega CDs unique capabilities of the day, and are great games

then there is the third category of Genesis games that were rereleased on the Sega CD. The results are mixed, Ecco the Dolphin and Eternal Champions really benefit from Redbook audio. Lethal Enforcers, Sol Feace, NBA Jam, NHL 94, Sega Classics 4 in 1, arent really any better than their Genny counterpark, then you have Mortal Kombat which is simply terrible. There are no graphic enhancements, not even extra animation in the characters, and the load times are horrrible. in endurance matches, you have to wait 10 seconds between the first and seoncd fighters

I've never been into the 32X, but the SCD is a different story. Here's some of my personal faves...

Snatcher. You MUST own this game. Excellent in every form of the word.

Rise of the Dragon. Again, a great game with a great story.

Dark Wizard. Good Landstalker-ish RPG game.

There's more, but I like RPG's, so they include mostly those.

Yeah. I heard about the crappiness of the 32X DOOM. Something about, oh, a huge border and lack of backs and sides on the enemies.

It's not terrible... but frankly, the only worse version is probably the SNES version. You're right on both accounts though, the game isn't quite full screen (About a 1-1.5cm border), and enemies will always be facing you.

Other than that, I think (although it's been a while since I played it) that it's set up the same as the Jaguar version, with basically the same levels and stuff. This would mean that difficulty is independant of level selection (how does the SNES version work?). The game is still quite fun, and as long as you like Doom, you'll still enjoy it. However, if you have the means to get the game for the Jaguar, Saturn, PSX or even N64 (although the N64 version is almost a completely different game), then you'd probably be better off with those versions.

--Zero

Other than that, I think (although it's been a while since I played it) that it's set up the same as the Jaguar version, with basically the same levels and stuff. This would mean that difficulty is independant of level selection (how does the SNES version work?). The game is still quite fun, and as long as you like Doom, you'll still enjoy it. However, if you have the means to get the game for the Jaguar, Saturn, PSX or even N64 (although the N64 version is almost a completely different game), then you'd probably be better off with those versions.

--Zero

The N64 IS a completely different game. I already have it and enjoy it. But I'm a fan of the original in any incarnation.

There was a PSX version TOO? Sheesh. Anyone have a list of all Doom ports released?

Metal Head and T-Mek look quite awesome (although I've never played either)

Metal Head is kind of like Iron Soldier on the Jag, except without the sense of scale of IS or the playability for that matter. It has better graphics due to everything being texture mapped (which slowed down the frame rate to a crawl), but it wasn't really very interesting to play. T-Mek, on the other hand, was totally worth buying the 32X for. (Easy to say, since I bought my 32X for $19.95 at TRU when they were practically shovelling them out the door trying to get rid of them). I loved T-Mek in the arcade, and this version is almost a perfect translation. Unfortunately the 32X is a little unstable in my Genesis, so I hardly ever get a chance to play it. I just wish the Jaguar version would have made it out. It still amazes me that T-Mek never came out on the PlayStation, at least.

I was really hoping to see a Jaguar version of T-Mek (Sadly, we get Hover Strike instead). I only ever found a T-Mek machine while I was on vacation in Minneapolis, but damn was that game fun! It's quite easily one of my favorite arcade games ever... Even if the 32X version completely sucked, I'd probably still get it just so that I could have a home version of this masterpiece.

Strangely enough, I actually have NO 32X games whatsoever. I managed to find a complete boxed 32X for $30 (CDN) at the local thrift store, but I haven't found any 32X games since... good old Murphy's Law I guess. I was able to borrow some games from my friend who has one though. Oh well, I have no remaining outlets to plug it into anyways.

--Zero

I recently reaquired a Sega CD and I've been catching up with this system. I sold my old one 7 years ago or so. Here are some recommendations:

- Batman Returns: the driving levels really utilize the strengths of the system and they are great fun & challenging, too. The Batmobile and Batskiboat have a discernable weighty feeling to them and it's great to shoot a rocket into a bike rider, or to ram a jeep off the road into an old tree. If you like Sega System 16 type scaling, you'll enjoy this game's scaling.

- Sonic CD: colorful, great bonus rounds, and different from all the other Sonics since you must travel into the Past and destroy metal sonic and a death egg, making a 'good future' in each level. Big game, with complex level architecture.

- Robo Aleste: by Compile, similar in ways to the Genesis MUSHA. I love this one, it has also got scaling, colorful levels, redbook audio, and FMVs (which are a bit dull but worth watching once).

- Eternal Champions: the CD version is 5 times as good as the watered down Genesis one. Faster, better combo fighting system, tons of hidden moves/characters/levels. I need to find this one again! Music is fast-paced 90's techno/rave. I always liked the characters and sci-fi storyline of E.C.

- Jurassic Park: it looks like crap at times, half decent at other times. A point and click adventure game. Your heart will pound the first time you encounter the T-Rex! You don't find this type of game anymore. Good sound, too, typical of most Sega CD games.

- Ecco/Ecco 2/SPider-Man -- better versions of the Genesis games. I just beat Ecco 2 a day ago, for the first time ever.

I suggest you do not waste your time on: any golf game (load times!); Mortal Kombat (load times! ugh!); Sol Feace (mediocre shooter); Batman & Robin (dull driving game w/lots of cartoon FMVs. I never liked it myself, it isn't half as fun as Batman Returns). Unless you like to revel in their unique form of ugly badness, don't get FMV based games.

Glad to see some people liked the sega CD games. Alot of the ones I have were FMV fodder.

Definetly a case of technology before it's time. Seems like nobody was sure what to do with it.

I actually owned a 32x and a 32x game for about 6 months before I was actually able to play them (took forever to get all the cables I needed).

My favorite Sega CD games are:

Final Fight CD

Sonic CD

Snatcher

Rise of the Dragon

The Space Adventure

Panic!

Popful Mail

Lunar The Silver Star

Lords of Thunder

Dungeon Explorer

I'm also one of the few that found some of the FMV games kinda entertaining like Time Gal, Road Avenger, Masked Rider, etc.

Silpheed is a really fun sega cd game, in essence it's just a simple shooter like galaga, but it has fmv like scenery and looks pretty good and is really fun to play.

I also used to like Thunderhawk a lot (think it's american name is slightly different) although it doesn't look as impressive as it used to it's still a good game and makes extensive use of the sega-cd's scaling and rotating capabilities