IGNORED

Atari 800 to HDMI

Mike 800

If you search, there should already be at least a handful of threads on the subject here.

Also, connecting an 800 to HDMI isn't going to differ (in most cases) from connecting an 800XL or 65/130XE to the same. So, if you find some threads talking about those machines, it will generally apply to your 800.

3 hours ago, Mike 800 said:

Hi, I have just found my Atari 800 and disk drive in our loft. They both appear to start. Does anyone have any experience of an adaptor that will convert output to HDMI?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

This is inexpensive and works pretty good.  Best results are found using S-video input vs composite.

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-S-Video-Converter-Upscaler/dp/B00V2ULHBS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=s-video+to+hdmi+converter&qid=1688752044&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Edited by ACML

On 7/7/2023 at 10:45 AM, ACML said:

I noticed the following:

"Upgrade Version: HDMI output is optional at 720P / 60Hz or 1080P / 60Hz 480i 480P/576P"

Does the model you have include the additional output resolutions?  If so, how do you select them -- the picture of the device shown only selects 720/1080.  I think 480 would be very handy on large monitors.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

I noticed the following:

"Upgrade Version: HDMI output is optional at 720P / 60Hz or 1080P / 60Hz 480i 480P/576P"

Does the model you have include the additional output resolutions?  If so, how do you select them -- the picture of the device shown only selects 720/1080.  I think 480 would be very handy on large monitors.

I think its just saying it will take a 480i or 480P/576P analog input (S-video or composite) and output (scaled correctly) to 720P or 1080P.

• Thanks 1

I'm assuming it's an original 800 and not the XL?

If so, get yourself a decent well shielded S-Video cable, I'd recommend the one from Hercules....

https://www.herculesworkshop.net/atari and commodore video cables.html

And then I'd recommend the Retrotink 2x, you may be able to find t cheaper on eBay or elsewhere but

this is the official site....

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-pro

It scales beautifully, has several options for the ratio and scaling and has worked with every monitor and TV I've thrown it at.

I've been through soooooo many crap HDMI converters on Amazon, in the long run I'd really recommend avoiding the headaches

and grabbing the 2x.

You might also consider the SIO2SD or SDrive Max, maybe the fujinet. Unless you're a purist and want everything on floppy, these inexpensive USB alternatives give you access

to the entire library in one shot, every game, app, the whole enchilada.

Anyhow, enjoy the 800, it's an absolutely wonderful machine and a piece of history!

Here is a cheaper alternative to retrotink (latter if I recall isn't easily sourced outside of the US). I used this with my A8 setups when I first got back into the atati scene a couple of years back. (Since have gone the svideo way with various mods (UGV), also rgb (VBXE) and of course the excellent Sophia 2 DVI).

Always get the best signal out of the A8 (eg svideo), to go into your chosen upscaler. 

As an external plug and play alternative to mods, and cheaper than retrotink, retroscaller 2 is pretty good. 

Retroscaller 2:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dasing-Retroscaler2X-Converter-Line-Doubler-Consoles/dp/B0B31874RK

41FMvy1QQfL._AC_.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

53 minutes ago, Luke210 said:

No, it's not good. It's horrible.

Ah, no worries. I seem to recall at the time I found it (Retroscaller 2) OK. Been a while mind.

As I say I prefer modding the machines over outputting to upscalers. Highly recommend UGV and of course Sophia 2. :)

14 hours ago, griff3125 said:

I'm assuming it's an original 800 and not the XL?

If so, get yourself a decent well shielded S-Video cable, I'd recommend the one from Hercules....

https://www.herculesworkshop.net/atari and commodore video cables.html

I thought Hercules went out of business several months ago? Was that announcement premature?