IGNORED

Atari Game Recorder

Trioptrooper

The Atari Game Recorder was something I really wanted to build when I first rediscovered the Atari 2600 and joined AtariAge. I still have a bunch of Z80 cpus and 2kx8 ram chips I bought on ebay at the time for that purpose, and I OCR'ed the scans of the source code from the article, as the rom file wasn't available at the time (I don't know if it is now).
I didn't go further as I later got a supercharger and then an eprom programmer with built in rom emulator (based on a z80, just like the AGR, btw) that I used to try homebrews and my programming attempts on real hardware. And finally the Harmony cart came out...

I'd still like to build one, anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trioptrooper said:

Record Gameplay and Play Video.

Hmm, no. The Atari Game Recorder is a rom emulator that connects to the Atari through the cartridge port.

It can dump cartridges (only 4k if you use the diagram and software provided in those articles) into the onboard ram and save/load the dumps to/from tape.

Yeah im not to sure i haven't even had the time to read the article before i shared it but i thought i glimpse upon it recording gameplay and playing it back as a demo. So i have purchased some 2016a so far. built the gerber with circuit maker in 1 night but sketchy. will fix it or get a professional. 

There are a few Chips on this board whoes circuit diagram doesn't come up on circuit maker . These can just be DIP sockets that you can label the feet Or you can build the part and host it. you will end up with this .SchDoc as Circuit Diagram. Circuit Maker 2.2.1. is easy to use. https://circuitmaker.com/

Edited by Trioptrooper

On 7/8/2023 at 10:12 PM, alex_79 said:

The Atari Game Recorder was something I really wanted to build when I first rediscovered the Atari 2600 and joined AtariAge. I still have a bunch of Z80 cpus and 2kx8 ram chips I bought on ebay at the time for that purpose, and I OCR'ed the scans of the source code from the article, as the rom file wasn't available at the time (I don't know if it is now).
I didn't go further as I later got a supercharger and then an eprom programmer with built in rom emulator (based on a z80, just like the AGR, btw) that I used to try homebrews and my programming attempts on real hardware. And finally the Harmony cart came out...

I'd still like to build one, anyway.

This looks useful. https://github.com/Kris-Sekula/EPROM-EMU-NG .  Then I will have to wrap my wits on how to get the Firmware from the PDF text to Well what comes next. Might need this part too https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/2364_to_2764_or_2716_2732_to_2764_27512_adapter.html

Edited by Trioptrooper

In your first post you showed some severe misconceptions about what the Atari Game Recorder is, and later admitted you didn't actually read those articles.
Did you take some time to study them in detail after that?

I ask because I find quite odd that you think you need an eprom emulator (which might be of use, but not fundamental. And it's actually what the AGR is, so that you could use that instead of the AGR, to play the games in your Atari 2600!), but you have no clue how to get "the PDF text" (aka the source code in Z80 assembly) to "what comes next" (the binary to burn to the eprom). That's really something you need to figure out before you start buying parts.

Why do you want to build the AGR in the first place?

• Like 1

1st question - No i still have not found the time or lighting to read the article full. 2nd question  the EPROM EMU is to Test the Code that I Have no Idea! Done by Scanning text With Google Drive PDF . There are alot of spaces to get right. 3rd Question. i1 dont believe you on that one  without the hardware how could i test things. 4point What's wrong with Recreating A bit of History. I like to store info In mp3 format. EG , TAPE, Cd.  So said Who? Have you built or tried ATR? 

Edited by Trioptrooper

1 hour ago, Trioptrooper said:

No i still have not found the time or lighting to read the article full.

Ok. Probably I'm just weird, but that doesn't make sense to me. To each their own, I guess.

the EPROM EMU is to Test the Code...

You can just use the eprom directly, since you need an eprom programmer and an eraser anyway. The eprom emulator makes it faster to test the code, but it is not indispensable, especially if you're not writing the software from scratch.

Done by Scanning text With Google Drive PDF . There are alot of spaces to get right.

You should first learn a bit about how to use a z80 assembler and see if you can compile z80 source code.
The listing in the article might need to be adjusted depending on what assembler you're using, and without at least a little bit of knowledge about the z80 assembly language, it will be almost impossible to fix the eventual (and probable!) mistakes you can make while typing or caused by the OCR process. And the article might contain typos too...

i1 dont believe you on that one  without the hardware how could i test things.

With a z80 simulator, for example...

Anyway, you should first concentrate on having a source that you can actually compile into a binary file. The fact that it compiles doesn't guarantee that there aren't errors, but if it doesn't you have no binary to burn into the eprom, and in that case any hardware you build is just a doorstop.

What's wrong with Recreating A bit of History.

Nothing. That's actually a very good reason.

I was just wondering if you were looking for some particular feature that the AGR doesn't provide, such as "record gameplay and play video" that you mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

So said Who? Have you built or tried ATR? 

I haven't. As I said, I'd like to do it someday.
I was just expressing some concerns about how you're approaching this project, that's it.

I have nothing else to add about this subject.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Trioptrooper said:

Z80 https://www.oshonsoft.com/z80gettingstarted.php Thanks for advice.

18 hours ago, Trioptrooper said:

This looks useful. https://github.com/Kris-Sekula/EPROM-EMU-NG .  Then I will have to wrap my wits on how to get the Firmware from the PDF text to Well what comes next. Might need this part too https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/2364_to_2764_or_2716_2732_to_2764_27512_adapter.html

On 7/10/2023 at 7:32 AM, Trioptrooper said:

There are a few Chips on this board whoes circuit diagram doesn't come up on circuit maker . These can just be DIP sockets that you can label the feet Or you can build the part and host it. you will end up with this .SchDoc as Circuit Diagram. Circuit Maker 2.2.1. is easy to use. https://circuitmaker.com/

IMG_20230710_161901_114.jpg

IMG_20230710_161757_959.jpg

• 3 months later...

Found this older post on Atariage. And you might find an update in the magazine as sometimes there is typos that get corrected. This site has some good clear scans of AGR.  www.americanradiohistory.com 

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/80s/1985/Radio-Electronics-1985-01.pdf

Edited by Trioptrooper