IGNORED

Vectrex shockboxes

dankcomputing

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 2:12 PM, dankcomputing said:

How come these don't exist? UGCs won't hold the overlays, but there's gotta be something out there that fits and could look good.

I found a place that will sell you repro cardboard boxes, but they only deal in the UK box variants.

Like these for sale????

http://vectrexmulti.com/order2.html#!/Vectrex-BLANK-EMPTY-BOX-w-insert/p/260258673/category=0

1788445030[1].jpg

It's close, but the result there isn't going to look too much like a retail box.

And honestly, the boxes should have been plastic clamshells from the beginning, as they should have been for all consoles. IDK the Genesis, Master System, J-PCs, Neo-Geo etc. have spoiled me.

Edited by dankcomputing
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm sure there would be a market for them but someone would have to take the initiative and get them made themselves. Kickstarter isn't happening with how many people have been burned by pre-orders/kickstarters/stealth crowdfund in the Vectrex community alone. 

Some people use a dedicated folder just to house their overlays. I put all my carts in VHS clamshells, sometimes I make custom artwork for them. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, dankcomputing said:

It's close, but the result there isn't going to look too much like a retail box.

And honestly, the boxes should have been plastic clamshells from the beginning, as they should have been for all consoles. IDK the Genesis, Master System, J-PCs, Neo-Geo etc. have spoiled me.

Ugh, I can't stand plastic boxes.  It's the old school bias in me, I like paper/cardboard.  I still buy books and magazines.  The plastic boxes always feel fake, like you took the original and put it in a Tupperware to seal in the freshness or something.  I much prefer emulating the '70s style of packaging, including the fonts and extras (if there are any, like overlays for screen but also overlays for keyboard controllers like the Atari 5200 and Intellivision).

Maybe it's the soft plastic that irritates me.  I mean, I don't mind CD cases at all, those things don't deform.  But I do think that DVD/Blu-ray cases are cheap compared to laserdisc packaging.

• Like 1