IGNORED

Are we in the 80's again and does it suck?

Barbies, Teenage Mutaint Ninja Turtles, and $99.00 Nintendo system. You know I loved the 80's. But, do I really need to live through it again. Have we stopped creating good stuff? I admit I like some of the retro stuff but now I seem to find it a headache. For intance the gray sterio systems. I read this is a retro 80's style and it is in. Well okay suckers. Where are the analog guages? Why am I looking at radios that looks like European sport car guages? Come on get it right. I think sony got it right with the Ps/2 Simple design with black case. It going to look good next to the rest of my audio components. I know we have covered some of this before. Wood grain compaired to silver or black face plate. Is their anything else from the 80's you would like to see of have seen and thinks it sucks?

I love the 80's.

I don't love some of the stuff they're bring back.

The new Turtles SUCK ASS. The Anime version comic book (Pupil-less) Turtles are NOT the turtles I grew up with. And I do NOT like it one god damn fucking bit.

The only thing really missing is good music.

It's not the 80's yet because todays music SUCKS FUCKING ASS!

I love the 80s but they are not really doing enough to where it is an exact match for what was popular back then. The new Turtles do not remind me of the 80s version.

Next I expect to see Star Blazers return in a "new" improved format. I think the entertainment industry has either run out of ideas or the people who run it do not have the spines to come up with any new creative ideas and just keep rehashing the same ideas over and over again.

Who cares what the stuff looks like? I buy electronics to use them, not to hope they don't clash with the carpeting. Maybe I don't understand the gist of your thread.

The '80s were the first real decade of the downfall of western civilization. People who weren't already rich could afford less and less thanks to a couple of corrupt administrations, cheesy crap and synthetic music became the norm, the TV got even worse and the comedy more lifeless and banal. Fuck the '80s.

hmm lets see we have a president named bush, a war with iraq and a sagging economy...yep feels like 89 all over again.

ohh in terms of consumer electronics?

me i look at boom box stylings, the 80s had a lot of that flat silver plastic finish, think panasonic "ambience" sound. for a while there it was rounded boomboxes and now the high end is leaning towards things that look like darth vaders head.

i have predicted before and i still say that in 15 years or so there will be a collectors market for things in the "i mac fruit" clear colored plastic style. that may well be emblamatic style of our era as wood grain was to the late 70s.

the x-box would be right at home in the mid 80's knight rider styled universe, big, black boxy with that green glow. i think the PS2 looks like some lost bit of car stereo gear. the gamecube is a neat departure from the norm, esp the indigo version. to me the most artful US console is still the NES toploader which makes neat use of curved and straight lines.

By '80's' we'd better get this straight. The cultural 80's (which this thread seems to be about) started in, ooh, about 1979 and ended in mid to late 1986. This encompassed pretty much all the typically 80s music, technology and art.

I liked THAT 80's and I resent being fed a facsimile of it again. There was some great music and games (both had the advantage of being created by talented individuals).

There are some things that seem better to me then than they do now just through the rose-colored eyes of nostalgia. Transformers was the shiznit when I was a kid, and although I still like the old episodes today the dialogue sometimes seems corny (the voice acting carries it regardless) and the animation slightly suspect. The funny thing is though that the "new" version had the chance to correct all those things and I absolutely HATE it. It's like they mixed Transformers with Pokemon and Gundam Wing, and it's just an abhorrant combination.

The new Ninja Turtles looked more promising, but I haven't seen it. However I have the sneaking suspicion that like the new Transformers, it will make the old version I'm nostalgic for seem that much better (I hope they release all the eps on a DVD box set someday).

I love the 80's.

The new Turtles SUCK ASS. The Anime version comic book (Pupil-less) Turtles are NOT the turtles I grew up with. And I do NOT like it one god damn fucking bit.

Have you ever read the ORIGINAL Ninja Turtle comics? With the often drunk, barely heroic, non-kid friendly storylines? The original Turtles were drawn without pupils, and they *all* wore red bandannas (although you couldn't tell unless they were on the cover 'cause the comics were b/w).

Next I expect to see Star Blazers return in a "new" improved format. I think the entertainment industry has either run out of ideas or the people who run it do not have the spines to come up with any new creative ideas and just keep rehashing the same ideas over and over again.

Disney has aquired the rights to do Star Blazers as live action. It's in development hell.

And no, I'm not kidding. And yes, it is a travesty.

There is a reason for the change from Black to Silver in electronics...

When you go out shopping and see all the new platinum coloured merchandise, you are reminded that your own electronics at home are out of date so you looong for the silver, the shiny new silver.... It is a marketing move. In several years, everything will be black again, and we'll all be going, "Oh my gawd! I can't believe I like, bought all that silver junk!"

I was so disgusted with all my black shit I burned it in the backyard. ;)

I love the 80's.

Have you ever read the ORIGINAL Ninja Turtle comics? With the often drunk, barely heroic, non-kid friendly storylines? The original Turtles were drawn without pupils, and they *all* wore red bandannas (although you couldn't tell unless they were on the cover 'cause the comics were b/w).

Why would i want to. I can't stand that version. I want the ones I grew up with.

Disney has aquired the rights to do Star Blazers as live action. It's in development hell.

And no, I'm not kidding. And yes, it is a travesty.

Hmm...Battlestar Galactica and now Star Blazers. I wonder what else is on the horizon? They already did a Lost in Space movie but maybe they might re-create the series again :)

Yes, good retro wood designed stuff works well with anything. Well in my opion. Black. LOL. But I have a wood grain record player with black top and a reel to reel with wood grain case and gray front with black knobs, and partial black on the face plate. Fits right into all my black sterio equiptment. But then you come to the silver 7 disc dvd my wife purchased and it is like. WTF is that eye sore doing there.

:)

Actually, I am a fan of the new silver shiny with glass look. Especially if the LED's are blue or white. Blue and white LED's are THE BEST. Green and red are overused. It's just cool when something is glowing blue or white.

The Power LED on my LCD iMac is white and when it is sleeping, it pulses. My friend has a PowerMate and it is blue. His phone also lights up blue. So does my sisters. Blue is cool.

I sometimes wish I had a Panasonic Q instead of a regular GCN just for the mirrored glass and blue LED's.

All I know is that I'm not going back to the 80's unless they bring back all the good cartoons. :D I gotta find my Super Mario Brothers lunchbox... (nah, I wouldn't look like a weirdo walking around campus with that... :ponder: )

as for woodgrain, I'm not a major fan. I kinda like the sleek, black and silver look of the 7800 and 5200.

All I know is that I'm not going back to the 80's unless they bring back all the good cartoons.   :D   I gotta find my Super Mario Brothers lunchbox...  (nah,  I wouldn't look like a weirdo walking around campus with that...  :ponder: )

as for woodgrain, I'm not a major fan.  I kinda like the sleek, black and silver look of the 7800 and 5200.

I would give anything to have a TV channel playing nothing but reruns of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, the SMB 3 and SMW cartoons and Captain N: The Game Master.

that would be awesome.  I'd like to see a return of The Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles (the original cartoon, of course)
I think I only caught the Ghostbusters a few times. I did like it though. And the Turtles, Original cartoon, would rock.

that would be awesome.  I'd like to see a return of The Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles (the original cartoon, of course)
I think I only caught the Ghostbusters a few times. I did like it though. And the Turtles, Original cartoon, would rock.

and you know -- even though the Ghostbusters cartoon wasn't extremely well done (Ray looked like he was pregnant most of the time and the only thing that Egon had in common with the guy from the movie was... oh wait. They didn't have anything in common.) when I watched an episode of it the other day, I still enjoyed it and wished I could see another. (It seems like the lips didn't really synch up with the words very well either. You could have easily made them say ANYTHING with the movements their mouths made..)