IGNORED

Looking for 1200XL Case

wildstar87

Finding 1200XLs generally is pretty hard. :) (I am in the UK and had to ship mine over from the States as you just don't see them here). Not sure if you are gonna find someone with a spare case tbh. I think you'll likely be looking at buying a complete unit and they won't be cheap.

Good luck though. :)

I'm also looking for a case. But since it's almost impossible to get one at reasonable price here in Poland, I made a temporary one myself. Out of a carton box 🤪 Looks pretty... interresting 😁

20230704_110852.jpg

20230704_110903.jpg

Edited by Peri Noid
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Peri Noid said:

I'm also looking for a case. But since it's almost impossible to get one at reasonable price here in Poland, I made a temporary one myself. Out of a carton box 🤪 Looks pretty... interresting 😁

20230704_110852.jpg

20230704_110903.jpg

Very resourceful .. Although slightly concerned about fire risk here!!! 

Especially given there is a large capacitor and heatsink on the 1200XLs unshielded top right:

image.png.cf25fe6adda4193de47e251a428a2cb1.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

@Peri Noidsure, just being mindful of ya safety. :)

Any casing for a retro/vintage machine should ideally be made from Non-combustable materials. It's just not worth the risk.

My mate is a fireman and the amount of fire's started from small electical faults is very commonplace. Often just takes a spark or a sustained heat source.

• Like 1

the traco converters put a noise into the system that affects certain peripherals or combinations of peripherals, as noted from time to time in the forums. This happens when putting them into disk drives as well... you have to really be cognizant that there will need to be added filtration and noise suppression. I had to add caps and toroid beads to the circuit to stop the interference for someone. I hadn't noted what the exact parts list was at the time but it does need to be done. Nothing sucks more than later on chasing a gremlin down that was created by such a modification. It works great until it doesn't so to speak. Playing whack a mole sucks when the issues are firmly routed in such forgotten modifications.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Finding 1200XLs generally is pretty hard. :) (I am in the UK and had to ship mine over from the States as you just don't see them here). Not sure if you are gonna find someone with a spare case tbh. I think you'll likely be looking at buying a complete unit and they won't be cheap.

Good luck though. :)

Yeah, I know, but never hurts to ask.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the traco converters put a noise into the system that affects certain peripherals or combinations of peripherals, as noted from time to time in the forums. This happens when putting them into disk drives as well...

I put Tracos in one of my XF551 - works like a charm. I put them in my LDW2000 (an Indus GT clone) - no problem there as well. I have them in various Spectrums, they work like charm. So... it looks like you're repeating something you read or you have the wrong data. 

I bought the badge from a guy, who makes them here in Poland. It's made of plastic, not metal. And it's actually 0.5mm too narrow.

I bought the motherboard some time ago, like half a year. It needed service. The keyboard - few weeks ago. I'm missing an original case.

11 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

I bought the badge from a guy, who makes them here in Poland. It's made of plastic, not metal. And it's actually 0.5mm too narrow.

I bought the motherboard some time ago, like half a year. It needed service. The keyboard - few weeks ago. I'm missing an original case.

I've bought a few badges from the same guy too in Poland. Good quality and very good value for money, even when shipping to the UK. (Assuming it's the same guy)

Here is the supplier I've used (marstickers):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/marstickers

Edited by Beeblebrox

17 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

How did you mount the keyboard?  It's normally screwed into the top case.

5 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

If I don't get an original case, I'll replace the two 7805's with Traco converters, then it will be only a bridge rectifier to get warm.

Why not go whole-hog there and pull the bridge rectifier, too? Put in a couple wires from the jack to bypass to former rectifier outputs and you can power the whole system with a modern 5VDC PSU. 

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the traco converters put a noise into the system that affects certain peripherals or combinations of peripherals, as noted from time to time in the forums.

I've got Tracos in several of my systems with no ill effects. The low-cost knockoff switching regulators you can buy on eBay or AliExpress are one thing - actual Traco units are in a different league.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wildstar87 said:

How did you mount the keyboard?  It's normally screwed into the top case.

I used 2 additional layers of cart board to flush function keys with the top and lower the keys in general. And then I used zip ties to fasten everything. Maybe the photos will explain more. 

20230713_203132.jpg

20230713_203100.jpg

• Like 2

not repeating anything, do what you do, just remember when it's being strange about this device or that... might come back to noisy power, traco or not.  It's not so untypical on the forum as it works for me now ;). Almost always it's a mystery thread later, ymmv. It's not you shouldn't, it's more like make the added effort to make it clean so you won't ever have a problem later.

Edited by _The Doctor__