IGNORED

Which games have you won, completed or cycled/seen-done-found all there is to it?

Giles N

24 minutes ago, Giles N said:

@Silver Back

Anyway, depending on your investment in this, you may need to hook up with a 7800-gaming-buddy, to really crack the next one, in it’s most complete sense.

Perhaps it even needs 2 videos (single and 2P co-op) to show gamers what they can expect…?

That's definitely the plan, to put out two videos for that one.  I'm starting with the single player but coop is in the pipeline.  I'm hoping maybe one day soon to get somebody to play it with me. 

I can definitely talk more about gameplay but the initial feedback was people enjoyed hearing about the development so I guess I'm focusing a bit much on that.  I'll find a way to strike a balance and with a long video coming it shouldn't be hard lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

I can definitely talk more about gameplay

I definitly need that for sports-games.

And I also think that many viewers who plan to try to win games themselves, can need explanations of game-mastery on games like F 18 Hornet, F 14 Tomcat, - and for sports-games, man someone need to give detailed lessons on timing …

… guess Touchdown Football always will be in own particular league…

F 14 Tomcat

This is a game that has a learning curve...and reading the "Flight Manual" is a must...here is a review by the No Swear Gamer which give an excellent overview of the game.  by way of information...you will crash ALOT while attempting to land on the aircraft carrier. 

Edited by NIKON
link to manual
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NIKON said:

F 14 Tomcat

This is a game that has a learning curve...and reading the "Flight Manual" is a must...here is a review by the No Swear Gamer which give an excellent overview of the game.  by way of information...you will crash ALOT while attempting to land on the aircraft carrier. 

God those are going to be harder for me than Karateka I think. Thanks for the reminder and the useful video. I love nsg for all the love he gave the 7800.  

Hey @Giles N this one is for you.  It's only about six minutes so I didn't get into anything honestly but I tried to briefly touch the controls. Sports game one down but I guess it made me out to be a liar in my last video. Maybe I should be careful about saying what game I'm doing next 😁

Edited by Silver Back
Grammar is hard
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 6:50 AM, Silver Back said:

Karateka is done finally. And now I'm never going to play it again...

Digital eclipse is releasing an interactive documentary about Karateka most likely focusing on the apple ii and other computer ports of the day.  Comes out August 29 for everything but switch.  Switch is September some time.  

Anyway here's the proof and some development facts on Karateka.  Enjoy bc I didn't lol

I have thought about trying to beat every 7800 ProSystem game before, but this is the game that stops me from even trying. I do not think I could do it.  Well done on beating this one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have thought about trying to beat every 7800 ProSystem game before, but this is the game that stops me from even trying. I do not think I could do it.  Well done on beating this one.

Thank you. I'm sure you could beat it but it's just not worth the time honestly.  Unless your a nerd like me whos kids are grown and now has too much time on his hands

So I was kinda stretching for things to talk about on this playthrough but I did it regardless!  I beat Missing in Action in Chuck Norris mode aka invincibility turned on. I mean c'mon the fact that Chuck Norris could die isn't very realistic.  That's why the game never saw the light of day!

Anyway what was I talking about?  Oh yeah, this:

Rikki & Vikki single player coming next and 2 player will come whenever @Funkmaster V@Cousin Vinnie rolls the futon out for me...

Edited by Silver Back
Forgot which username he used sadly
  • Thanks 1

So I have beaten a ton of 7800 games all recorded but I'm thinking the videos are just too long for most people.  So while I figure out how to present them in a more digestible manner I'm going to move over to posting a few reviews on the YouTube channel.  But as soon as I get it figured out you can count on knight Guy, planet smashers, scrapyard dog, alien Brigade, slide boy and a ton more!  I almost beat water ski the other night I know I was close I could feel it!

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 1:33 AM, Silver Back said:

but I'm thinking the videos are just too long for most people.  So while I figure out how to present them in a more digestible manner

It may be that for people who’re eager to watch entire walk-throughs/longplays may generally be more invested with commentaries about how to master/what to do in particular ‘tight spots’; timing, things to avoid, placing of player, how enemies moves behaves etc.

- - -

Anyway, you may perhaps be interested in checking out the Scrapyard Dog-hack with Scraps the Dog as hero + Scrapyard Dog hack with better graphics for Louie. Both have better palettes on the backdrop (in my view). Not asking for a playthrough (unless you’d like to do that, perhaps just check it out, or mention them on one of your videos. 
One of the main-criticism of Scrapyard Dog is that the hero is dull-looking.

Perhaps another show could briefly do presentations and/or reviews of good hacks out there?

(You’ve already said you’ll play through everything of official releases + homebrews).

- - -

Back to ‘how-to-play/master’ commentaries; I think particulary the sports-games and the Flight-cockpit games will be much more watched if you explain how you play, what is needed to make the objective etc.

I found out quite a lot about how to play F 18 (which I think is a very overlooked and under-rated game [its a sim, not an arcade game]), but time hasn’t allowed me to make it. Difficult, but satisfying ones you complete a mission.

F 14 is still on the wait, and I’d really like to hear about how master the dog-fight sections… well, and operating the menu-systems in action, how to land etc - really everthing (lols) besides take-off and finding first enemy …

Anyway thanks for your efforts. Some stuff actually may tend to accumulate views over time, and if you generate a playlist which has the heading ‘All 7800 games played through’, or ‘Atari 7800 All games longplays’, such things may much more easily be picked up by search-algorithm and distributed. 

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

Anyway thanks for your efforts. Some stuff actually may tend to accumulate views over time, and if you generate a playlist which has the heading ‘All 7800 games played through’, or ‘Atari 7800 All games longplays’, such things may much more easily be picked up by search-algorithm and distributed. 

Thanks for the advice.  I think one of the problems is I really don't have much advice to give or I should say, that's not what I wanted to accomplish in the videos.  For that reason I'm thinking the videos might do better as an edited thing where I talk about the history of the game and then maybe talk about overcoming some difficult spots, or interesting moments, etc and then talk about the ending.  That would keep it around 10 minutes and make it more clear that these aren't walkthroughs. 

As I play around with ideas for what to do in the beating every game series I'm putting up reviews instead.  Tonight's is the first and it's on Knight Guy.  But the man vs 7800 videos might become redundant next to the reviews too.   I guess I'm still feeling everything out but here's a list of everything I beat and recorded so far:

Midnight Mutants

Tower Toppler

Double Dragon

Ninja Golf (beat kamikaze mode too)

Dragons Havoc

Kung Fu master

Commando

Hat Trick

Karateka

Rikki & Vikki (1 player)

Missing in Action Prototype

Ikari Warriors

Scrapyard Dog

Slid boy in maze land

Knight Guy Castle Days 

Dark chambers

Keystone Koppers

Planet smashers

Alien Brigade

Wizards Dungeon

Super skateboarding

Fight Night

Dragons Descent

I know there's a couple I'm missing I'll add them if I think of them

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to beat this one for a very, very long time. I can't believe I finally did it!  And that ending I mean it should be ranked as one of the all time 7800 endings..  maybe gaming endings?!  I just, I just feel so fulfilled.  It definitely wasn't anticlimactic or anything like that...

Also I beat Scrapyard Dog on a stream the other night.  Dunno how entertaining it is but it's documented...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I've been trying to beat this one for a very, very long time. I can't believe I finally did it!  And that ending I mean it should be ranked as one of the all time 7800 endings..  maybe gaming endings?!  I just, I just feel so fulfilled.  It definitely wasn't anticlimactic or anything like that...

Wow! Congratulations on beating Water Ski. I love this game and have never been able to beat it. Nice to see the ending. Time for me to start playing this again and attempt to beat it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Also I beat Scrapyard Dog on a stream the other night.  Dunno how entertaining it is but it's documented...

«And that ending I mean it should be ranked as one of the all time 7800 endings..  maybe gaming endings?!»

😂😂😂

- - -

Congrats!!

You’re really plowing on here!

Cool to see you do these games.

The Scrapyard Dog End-puzxle is irritating, but I like the (ntsc) gameplay to much for something like 2/5. Except for 3-4 unfair places and the stupid end-challenge, it’s a fun plstformer.

As to Water Ski, it’s like a more exotic title with original gameplay.

Waaayyy too difficult for liking it.

(But I can handle a bit of Tank Command, when tired of Commando or Ikari Warriors).

Water Ski needs a hack; you’re the Alligator and are to eat all boats, logs,  ramps, sharks, rocks, surfers, flagpoles etc, until you cross the finish line… 

Seriously - as to WaterSki - really impressed.

I get past like 4 screens at best…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow! Congratulations on beating Water Ski. I love this game and have never been able to beat it. Nice to see the ending. Time for me to start playing this again and attempt to beat it.

Thank you so much!

20 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Just getting to the third level of Water Ski is rarefied air as it is.......let alone finishing it.

Congrats!

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Giles N said:

Water Ski needs a hack; you’re the Alligator and are to eat all boats, logs,  ramps, sharks, rocks, surfers, flagpoles etc, until you cross the finish line…

That actually sounds pretty fun, I would play that! 

I didn't think I'd ever beat water ski.  Both the Froggo games were two I was thinking I couldn't do but I feel motivated to actually complete every 7800 game now. I'm not sure if I can beat Tank Command but I'm going to try!

6 hours ago, Silver Back said:

That actually sounds pretty fun, I would play that! 

It was written more on a jokingly note: like it’s so frustrating I just wish I could gobble-down everything.

Alternatively, it be Missing.Water.GunBoat - starring Chuck Norris: you just blow away everything in your way… lols.

Less frustrating than trying to steer,  then instantly crash … over and over and over…

Really impressive work there getting through it.

• 3 months later...