IGNORED

DOOM.... how many ports WERE there?

Jasoco

I'm talking DOOM. In just about all its incarnations. The original DOOM 1 or 2.

I suppose I just love DOOM and would like to know what systems it was on so I can collect them. And let me know if it has just 1, 2 or both.

My list so far:

SNES (Has 1, with Super FX chip)

Genesis 32X (Has 1)

Sony Playstation (Has 1)

Game Boy Advance (It has both 1 and 2, doesn't it?)

And even though it isn't anywhere near the original (In most ways it's better. Kudo's to the programmers!) DOOM 64 is on my list. But the list really should only be for the original shooter PC DOOM games.

I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch load.

Oh, and can you maybe tell me something about the versions. If it's a good port, bad port, etc.

For instance, I know the 32X DOOM had a few flaws. Huge border, no backs or sides to the sprites..

Thanks! I wanna know the final list once and for all.

Edit: I'm creating a page on my website about all the various Console DOOM's. Let me know what info I need to add as well. Or if I'm wrong.

http://jasoco.no-ip.com/doom.php

I went to www.gamefaqs.com and came up with this list for all versions of Doom, including PC and Macintosh. Did I get most of them?

3DO

Doom

Amiga

Doom

GameBoy Advance

Doom

Doom II

Jaguar

Doom

Macintosh

Doom

Doom II

Final Doom

Ultimate Doom

Nintendo 64

Doom 64

PC (DOS/Windows)

Doom

Doom II

Doom III (coming soon)

Final Doom

Ultimate Doom

PlayStation

Doom

Final Doom

Saturn

Doom

Sega 32X

Doom

Super Nintendo

Doom

XBox

Doom III (coming soon)

IIRC, there's also a Linux port.

Yeah, but it's all open-source right now... so you can theoretically port it to whatever. There's a few Dreamcast ports out there that are made by fans. This should probably be limited to commercially available games.

--Zero

I think the Jaguar version is the best console Doom because of the control scheme.  Very easy to switch weapons.

Yes. I am looking forward to eventually playing this one. And the PS versions. Anyone know if they're good?

IIRC, there's also a Linux port.

Yeah, but it's all open-source right now... so you can theoretically port it to whatever. There's a few Dreamcast ports out there that are made by fans. This should probably be limited to commercially available games.

--Zero

Which is why it's not been ported to so many new OSes. Including OS X which I think rocks. Classic OS 9 is no way to play DOOM.

I enjouyed Doom for Playstation immensely. Only problem with it is that it uses a password system instead of memory cards (!). There are at least four hidden levels you can access only via password as well, including Club Doom! the disco.

2 days ago on TechTV's ScreenSavers, they showed a DOOM port for a Nokia cellphone (Its that big camera phone). It ran full speed too. I'm not sure if it had sound though. The host also said that the developers were implementing bluetooth multiplayer. I want that phone now!!!

Here's the Download page http://www.mobjoy.com/doom.htm

The Nuon version was never fully optimised for the Aries processor, so it gets occasionally choppy. It could run smoother if the guy who did the port would work on it. But he's too busy paying the bills to work on it. I can't get upset that he'd rather code to put food on the table than code a freeware game on an obsolete platform.

The Nuon version was never fully optimised for the Aries processor, so it gets occasionally choppy. It could run smoother if the guy who did the port would work on it. But he's too busy paying the bills to work on it. I can't get upset that he'd rather code to put food on the table than code a freeware game on an obsolete game system.

Still. Just to have it would be cool. I mean, most of these DOOM ports suck. But I want them to have them. I don't know why. Just a phase, I guess. I have an urge to complete SOME kind of collection. Whether it be collecting all the unlicensed and licensed Tengen NES games, or collecting every DOOM console port.. Whichever comes first. ;)

Well, just go to Nuon-Dome.com and download it. Next time you go to a classic game expo, bring the disc along in case someone's set up a Nuon DVD player.

Already downloaded it. But when am I gonna get to a CGE?

Actually.. how often do they have these around Philadelphia?

The GP32 port is just as sweet as the PC version, and much better than the GBA conversion. It also lets you use Customs Wads!

Cool... thanks for the info.. I've been too fascinated with emulators on GP32 to try it just yet. But the last version that came out sounded very impressive.

Nice to run into a fellow GP32 owner. I'm sure there are not very many, compared to owners of other systems.

The GP32 port is just as sweet as the PC version, and much better than the GBA conversion. It also lets you use Customs Wads!

I tried to run the latest version of Doom on my GP32 but I couldn't get it to work. The menu screens worked fine but when you wanted to load the game up it gives me some kind of error message. :(

http://DoomsdayHQ.com

for all you windows guys who have problems running doom engine based games native. Excellent open source engine, will play doom doom 2 final doom and my personal favorites, heretic and heXen. Also allows the running of custom mods, and even has true 3d models you can add to the game, or you can play them vanilla. I dont know how damn long ive been sitting on this link waiting until a doom thread came up :)

http://DoomsdayHQ.com  

for all you windows guys who have problems running doom engine based games native. Excellent open source engine, will play doom doom 2 final doom and my personal favorites, heretic and heXen. Also allows the running of custom mods, and even has true 3d models you can add to the game, or you can play them vanilla. I dont know how damn long ive been sitting on this link waiting until a doom thread came up :)

Wow... those screen shots on the first page look sweet...

Are those using the enhanced models?